Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM
eventide eventide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Default No TA articles or talk of Dragon Fantasy Book 2 releasing on Vita...

And NOT releasing on iPad yet when the iPad was supposedly the platform of choice for it? Am I wrong in that? I thought they wanted to release it on iPad first and then put it on handhelds and PC later?

Why no TA articles on this?

No release date news or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

I've been wondering out this myself. I thought we'd be getting it long ago.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
squarezero squarezero is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,803
Default

1) There's very little to say about it: Sony threw money at them, they made it a Vita exclusive.

2) The first game came out at a time when JRPGs where a rarity in iOS, so a somewhat charming but mediocre DragonQuest "homage" could actually get folks excited. These days We have a ton of way-better JRPGs in the App Store, so I'm not sure why we're suppose to care that they skipped iOS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
1) There's very little to say about it: Sony threw money at them, they made it a Vita exclusive.

2) The first game came out at a time when JRPGs where a rarity in iOS, so a somewhat charming but mediocre DragonQuest "homage" could actually get folks excited. These days We have a ton of way-better JRPGs in the App Store, so I'm not sure why we're suppose to care that they skipped iOS.
1) Well that solves it at least. I hadn't heard that. It would have been nice for them to share that info I. The thread where they were hyping the release of the update on iOS.

2) I still like DF
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 PM
smegly smegly is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
1) There's very little to say about it: Sony threw money at them, they made it a Vita exclusive.

2) The first game came out at a time when JRPGs where a rarity in iOS, so a somewhat charming but mediocre DragonQuest "homage" could actually get folks excited. These days We have a ton of way-better JRPGs in the App Store, so I'm not sure why we're suppose to care that they skipped iOS.
I have to imagine that it would be even less exciting to the Vita crowd. I don't really care where it comes out first, but I think they'd do better on the iOS platform even with whatever money Sony threw at them upfront, if that's the case.

I also don't think there's a ton of JRPGs on iOS that are better than DF and the ones that are aren't really trying to do the same thing. Even if I thought DF was mediocre, I don't think the ton of mediocre JRPGs available would stand above it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM
eventide eventide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Default

I don't know, I can't really get into a lot of the JRPGs released on iOS. I was hoping this one would be a good Chrono triggeresque type of RPG but didn't know it turned kinda meh.

Would have liked more TA coverage of this but it's not like I'm paying for a subscription or something
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 PM
MeanTuna MeanTuna is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 720
Default

I got it on vita, is rather good. Much better than the first one so hope it eventually lands on ios.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Aventador Aventador is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Croatia
Posts: 886
Default

Sony trow them some money and they went full into Vita production thinking that it will be better than iOS ( can't blame them though , making indie RPG game in App Store visible is nightmare ).Problem is Vita is already full with RPGs of all kind and they got mediocre reviews for game.On iOS Dragon fantasy is more like niche retro game without much competition around, but with low visibility and monetization.They said iOS version will still get support and graphic update, but that promise was made long time ago, and to be honest I don't expect it ever to be updated after they put price sky-high; that's already a sign they don't care much because all new RPG players coming to iOS will probably skip it with current price range.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 PM
squarezero squarezero is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
I have to imagine that it would be even less exciting to the Vita crowd. I don't really care where it comes out first, but I think they'd do better on the iOS platform even with whatever money Sony threw at them upfront, if that's the case.

I also don't think there's a ton of JRPGs on iOS that are better than DF and the ones that are aren't really trying to do the same thing. Even if I thought DF was mediocre, I don't think the ton of mediocre JRPGs available would stand above it.
I did say it was charming... .

I guess I may have overstated my point. From a gameplay perspective, I would put most Kemco JRPGs above Dragon Fantasy, and then there are all the FFs, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Chaos Rings. DF always struck me as more of a novelty.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I did say it was charming... .

I guess I may have overstated my point. From a gameplay perspective, I would put most Kemco JRPGs above Dragon Fantasy, and then there are all the FFs, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Chaos Rings. DF always struck me as more of a novelty.
Kemco RPGs have no soul or personality. I haven't been able to stick with a single one. CT and Lunar are great games but ports I've played through a million times in the past. Chaos Rings is sort of a more modern style of JRPG that I wouldn't compare. There are other ones you haven't named, but for its specific genre, I still consider DF one of the better entries.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent