Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Default Are paid reviews worth it?

I have submitted my game (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shapes-a-colorful-challenge/id687054001?ls=1&mt=8) to a number of review sites, and I get a few upbeat responses. But as you read through the reply you see that they want me to pay them to do a review. And I just wonder if anyone has gained anything from paying for a review of their game? Or does this just indicate that the review site is not doing that well so trying to find other sources of income?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Probably, but as far as I know, a good review sites won't ask for a pay to review something. Usually, the dev sent promo code for them, wait for 3-5 days to be reviewed. Remember, give/ provide the code doesn't make a promise if the sites will give a good rate for your app. All the reviewers should be objective with the app which they have reviewed.
Good luck with your app
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm not a developer, but I've been here long enough to know that most developers will tell you never, ever pay for reviews. All of the biggest and best websites will do the job for free, at most, some might appreciate a promo code, but anybody who charges is likely not going to make a big enough impact on your sales for it to be worthwhile.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:32 PM

Really not worth paying for reviews, it just means the review site does not earn enough money from adverts as there site visits are so low. Non of the popular sites ask for money.

I did play you game an thought it was great. Got to level 30 so far and I think I will play more. I will leave a review in the uk store. Are youth first person todo this style of game. If so it's a great idea. My only comment is that you seem to have a lot of jagged edges on the shapes through aliasing of the sides and curves. It a shame to see that rough edge as the look of the games is very clean.

Other than that its a great idea and simple to use. I love the fact you can undo a move to.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Professional web reviews are great, but they pale in comparison to the power and usefulness of good reviews on the App Store in terms of driving downloads. As such, you should never pay for them.

You are far better off spending the time and energy adding prompts for reviews in your game for engaged players.

You'll end up with genuine reviews which provide better feedback, reviews regardless of what updates you put out, and a lot more than you could ever pay for over time.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Default Marketing is getting noticed

I would disagree with other statements, your objective in marketing is putting your product in as many hands as possible, to let people know you exist.
Now while you have to be savvy on what sites you approach to pay for reviews, putting all your eggs in the 'free/I hope they review me' basket can be dangerous in itself.
If a review site charges say $100 for a confirmed review, and their audience is 10000 for the week of your posted review, is it worth it? At those numbers, depending on the price of your app, it probably is. If their audience is 10 people a week and they charge $300 a review, its probably not. Do your homework.
Your marketing strategy should include advertising, PR launches, submission for free reviews, and even a number of secured paid reviews to get your name out there. As with your game, you should have a marketing budget, your strategy should be planned and implemented as your game is being built, app stores are too busy now to just build a good game, you need to reach out to people also.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

No, definitely not worth it. The number of downloads you'll get compared to what you're spending is usually very low. You're better off running a little promo here on TA and having others review your app for a chance to win a gift card. Better ROI, IMO.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackdavi_Studios View Post
If a review site charges say $100 for a confirmed review, and their audience is 10000 for the week of your posted review, is it worth it? At those numbers, depending on the price of your app, it probably is.
I'm pretty sure TA's numbers are above that, and developers will occasionally report low sales even after positive articles on the front page. Good thing they weren't charged for the privilege. 10,000 is still a risky number, particularly as there's no guarantee the reviewer will even recommend your game.

That, and I can't name a single reputable website that charges for reviews.

Also... I don't mean to be rude, but aren't you yet to release your first game? It might be an idea to pay close attention to the guys who have had more hands on experience with paid reviews. A lot of good people have wasted money this way.

Last edited by MidianGTX; 09-30-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'm pretty sure TA's numbers are above that.
I never quoted TA's numbers, its was a generic risk vs reward number. TA's numbers are much much higher, doing homework on the subject would make you say "I know" instead of "I'm pretty sure" which can be very dangerous, assumption is the mother of all f**k ups after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Also... I don't mean to be rude, but aren't you yet to release your first game?
Much better example of doing homework, thank-you for looking at my website, yes I have yet to release my first game, which is in heavy development, and yet to be released, and as a first timer I need to do everything possible to get my name out there.
I have budgeted for advertising, reviews, both free & paid, PR releases and also competition giveaways (stay tuned on that last one, as one of the giveaways is an Ipad 4 Retina)

All I'm saying is that putting all your eggs in the free reviews/I hope they do! basket is very dangerous regarding advertising/marketing. You want to reach as many people as possible and pining all your hopes on someone's mood at the moment that may not even OPEN your email as they receive hundreds on submissions weekly is dangerous. I say do your homework & spread your time around to more than just a couple of big websites.
That being said, getting a review on TA for example is awesome, and great for business.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackdavi_Studios View Post
I never quoted TA's numbers, its was a generic risk vs reward number. TA's numbers are much much higher, doing homework on the subject would make you say "I know" instead of "I'm pretty sure" which can be very dangerous, assumption is the mother of all f**k ups after all.
I think you miss read what Midian was saying. He was not claiming that you somehow got TA numbers wrong he was just posting a new example about TAs numbers. Also in the UK sometimes we say pretty sure to ironically underplay how sure we actually are.

I'm pretty sure that your post comes across more aggressive than you wanted but it looks like after 2 posts and no games releases you are "Schooling" forum members on their homework. I'm assuming this is a language barrier thing and you don't want to come across like that.

Are there any sites that have decent numbers but still charge for reviews? A paid review on a website nobody visits is pointless. Also I would avoid big single prize competitions (iPad 4). I have seen them go very bad on here as people will complain constantly if you made just one tiny mistake in the terms or conditions. 20 mini prizes are much better and you can always buy another one if somebody has a genuine complaint.

Last edited by ThreeCubes; 10-01-2013 at 01:05 AM..