Is An iPhone 5S Disaster In The Making?

10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
#1
Is An iPhone 5S Disaster In The Making?

Since many iGames depend on the accelerometer, gyroscope & compass even, I thought this a relevant topic.
And of course if I'm wrong about that, a mod will set it straight.

There's heat building up now around how Gizmodo is reporting
that all of the iPhone 5S's sensors are totally buggered: MacRumors Forum
It seems, so far, anyway, that Gizmodo, Cult Of Mac & MR are the only ones reporting it.

But perhaps even more alarming is the fact that a lot of high profile techblogs are sitting on this,
refusing to say anything at all about it for fear of being "gizmodo-ed":
that is, incurring Apple's wrath & not ever being invited to an Apple event ever again.
I'm guessing that's why Gizmodo was the first one to the party for "Sensorgate".

Be that as it may, I'm curious: has anyone here been having any of the problems described in the MR forum topic?

My iPhone 5S arrives shortly and now I'm scared to death ....

Last edited by iPadCary; 10-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.
10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
#2
you mean the gyro and level are a little off?

10-03-2013, 04:13 PM
#3
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,855
The iPhone 5s is fine. Apple is at the top right now, so everyone link baits with articles that question them because people love sharing stories like that and Gawker is doing what Gawker does in blowing a non-issue totally out of proportion.
10-03-2013, 04:26 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: The last time zone for iOS game releases :(
Posts: 1,686
My 5s is experiencing no problems at all. Games that I have been playing with gyro and accelerometer, with no issues to report. If there is a problem, Apple will fix pretty quick.

To be honest, the Slo-Mo video, Touch-ID, and the increased speed outweigh the issues at hand (IMHO).
10-03-2013, 04:34 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The rainbow-fuelled nightmare of my mind
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The iPhone 5s is fine. Apple is at the top right now, so everyone link baits with articles that question them because people love sharing stories like that and Gawker is doing what Gawker does in blowing a non-issue totally out of proportion.
A bit like Nintendo with 95% of the internet?

I can has more Super Hexagon/Boson X-esque games?
10-03-2013, 05:32 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post

My iPhone 5S arrives shortly and now I'm scared to death ....
Exaggerating a bit are we.. While yes my iPhone's compass is a little off, I still love my 5s. This whole issue is probably something that can be via software update

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926
10-03-2013, 05:35 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
A bit like Nintendo with 95% of the internet?
Basically.
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
A bit like Nintendo with 95% of the internet?
I think you mean 5%, the other 95% can't be bothered to comment.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
#9
And the word spreads ....

MacWorld
6 iPhones Tested & They Can't Agree On True North

Cult Of Mac
No iPhone Can Tell Where True North Us

TUAW
iPhone Compass Struggles In Tests

Last edited by iPadCary; 10-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,855
As I said, it's a simple software fix which will likely be system-wide in whatever the next iOS point release is- http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/17/ip...-tech-company/