Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default iOS as a 'hardcore' gaming platform?

With the recent release of the new and much more powerful iPhone 5S, and the upcoming new iPads (November), and also native controller support in iOS 7, is it worthwhile to invest in gaming on iOS devices? Obviously, Computers and consoles will always reign king, but might the gap be shortened significantly? I've been gaming on iOS since the beginning of iOS itself, and have always preferred the serious games (Most often by Gameloft) like the Modern Combat series, the N.O.V.A series, and the Gangstar series, and with devices getting more powerful each year, is there a serious future for 'hardcore' iOS gaming?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Graphics capabilities ≠ hardcore-ness of games

I would say that the upcoming controllers are more of a reason to get excited about iOS. I can't wait to see what developers will be able to do with physical controls. I've already been impressed by what some have been able to do with touch, but with controllers more developers will take iOS seriously and we'll get more really awesome games.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm not so sure the controllers will make all that big a difference, the majority of people will probably not even know you can buy controllers and even if they did they wouldn't spend money on one
I'm not sure about it becoming a hardcore gaming platform because I still think most people who play on iOS spend most of their time on quick casual games.
It just needs to be more recognised as a platform and that probably won't happen any time in the near future because people assume any portable gaming to be very casual.
Controllers or no controllers they won't alone have much of an affect on how people view the gaming
Old 10-05-2013, 09:03 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Well, for me, who works over 12 hours a day, i dont have the luxury of sinking time in console games anymore. Maybe i could, but i prefer to keep playing even if im away from home in which so far, iOS gaming has provided well.

So even these casual games can get hardcore-ish for me if i spend much time on them.

As mentioned by AlexsIpad above, the general user base will be spending time on casual games rather than full blown games.

Having these full blown games with me anytime anywhere is a godsend to me though, so for now, as long as this trend keeps up, iOS gaming is as hardcore as it can get for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Not being snarky, but it seems the OP equates hardcore gaming with FPS. and i believe that if reasonably priced great hsndling controllers become available and are supported by enough games to be sen as a worthwhile accessory, then yes, the gap will close as more publishers port games or raise the bar for new IP. IMHO. However in other genres ios has already provided hardcore content. RTS has quite a few great games out, Strategy games like Xcom and Battle Academy, and 4X type of games has plenty of choices, Modern boardgame have a ton out for hardcore players. RPG games are abundant both old school, and new or recent ports and new IP that could be considered for hardcore players of those games.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM

I don't think so. There are a lot of game in iOS which is casual. It according to the idea of the designers.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Cod strike team and asphalt 8 and the new upcoming apple joystick make me hopeful. But the run towards freemium counters this, so we shall see.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLudd View Post
Not being snarky, but it seems the OP equates hardcore gaming with FPS. and i believe that if reasonably priced great hsndling controllers become available and are supported by enough games to be sen as a worthwhile accessory, then yes, the gap will close as more publishers port games or raise the bar for new IP. IMHO. However in other genres ios has already provided hardcore content. RTS has quite a few great games out, Strategy games like Xcom and Battle Academy, and 4X type of games has plenty of choices, Modern boardgame have a ton out for hardcore players. RPG games are abundant both old school, and new or recent ports and new IP that could be considered for hardcore players of those games.
This is a genuine question; what are Done of these 4x games on ios and are they available on iPhone ? I love 4x games and it would be great to have on the go with or without multioplayer. The IPhone is for me the perfekt pbem device in many ways.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Your asking the wrong question. Will people pay $20-30 to buy a console quality title , that's the question. I know people don't want to pay more for games so we will continue to receive the same type of games we always had.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacru79 View Post
This is a genuine question; what are Done of these 4x games on ios and are they available on iPhone ? I love 4x games and it would be great to have on the go with or without multioplayer. The IPhone is for me the perfekt pbem device in many ways.
Well unfortunately i appear to have embellished a little. I only play 2 4X games myself and both are Ipad only, and i can only find 2 active games in a quick search for Iphone, starbase orion and civilation revolution, and maybe king of dragon pass, which is sort of a 4X card game. Sorry for the wrong info on these games but i think my point that there are hardcore games in different genres is still valid, if not as numerous as i had thought in this case. Mea culpa....