App description: Empire is so tight it squeaks, and I suspect its the best game Ive played this year. - pockettactics.com 10/10

"This is the iPad game of the year. Highly polished." - ipadboardgames.org - 9/10

With Empire, Burgun and co. strip back the 4X genre to its fundamental parts, add a few twists of their own, and then chuck in some deck-building strategy for fun. - pocketgamer.co.uk 8/10

The barbarous tribes who fought amongst themselves for so many aeons are at last able to come together to found a wondrous civilization. Is yours the first of its kind in this world, or one of many? No man knows, but what all men know is that their Empire must not only survive, but flourish!

The world is full of terrible horrors, however, and they will wear away at your Empire from all sides. Natural resources have become more scarce. And perhaps worst of all, your powerful Empire has grown heavy and full of internal strife with its age. How long can you stand the pressures of survival before your Empire finally comes crumbling back down into the desolated earth from which it grew?

--

EMPIRE introduces the world's first "Deck-Building 4X Strategy Game". EMPIRE is a quick, easy-to-learn yet difficult to master strategy/tactics game. FEATURES:

- Choose from 3 unique emperors to play, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

- Procedurally generated worlds mean that no two games will be alike. Will you find valuable mountains to mine military materials from? Food-rich forests that will grow your Empire quickly?

- A unique take on the deck building mechanism similar to those in Dominion, Puzzle Strike or Ascension. Your deck grows during the game, and it fills with both useful Action Cards, powerful Spell Cards, -- and also totally useless Strife Cards. Managing your deck is an important part of staying strong!

- Dozens of interesting tactical cards featuring excellent art from concept artist Gilles Ketting.

- A unique grid based tactical combat system. Use your Action and Spell cards to get the upper hand and destroy the enemy forces!

- Unlike traditional 4X strategy games which not only take hours, but tend to become slow and boring late game, EMPIRE is a quick, elegant knife-fight of a game.

- Fantastic graphics
- Gather resources and boost your economy
- Create a massive army and defend your fortress

- Designed by indie game design superstar Keith Burgun, creator of 100 Rogues.

We have tons of plans for the game in terms of future content additions, balance patches, extra game modes, and other support.

Please check out our website at: http://empire-game.net/
Or come chat with us at our forums: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/forum/index.php?forums/empire.12/

keithburgun's comments:

EMPIRE is a super-elegant 4X strategy game that uses elements from deckbuilding games like Dominion or Ascension combined with turn-based tactics. It was just released today on the App Store:

Please check out our website at: http://empire-game.net/
Or come chat with us at our forums: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/forum/i...ums/empire.12/

10-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithburgun View Post
We have tons of plans for the game in terms of future content additions, balance patches, extra game modes, and other support.
Plan for online asynchronous multiplayer, and I think quite a few heads would perk up

With our without, this looks very interesting.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

10-05-2013, 03:48 PM
This sounds extremely interesting. 4X deck building procedurally generated tactical turn based game? That's like all of my favourite flavours mixed into one!

Game Centre I.D - Scarypharaoh
10-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Huh. At a glance, I can't really tell exactly WHAT this is going to be most focused on in terms of gameplay elements, since there are so many different concepts thrown into a blender and set on pure.

I'll probably give it a try out of curiosity - $3 is within my "mad money" budget for this weekend.

(Currently your forums don't seem to be sending out confirmation e-mails, or I'm stuck in the usual "weekend delay lag" for the e-mails getting from Point A to Point B.)
10-05-2013, 04:04 PM
With Ayjona on this one, think games like these need multiplayer, preferably async.
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Please remember that begging for promo codes is not ok.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Don't beg. Not cool. Wow mods are on fire tonight!
10-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Let me get this straight...

- 4x strategy
- deck builder
- creator of 100 rogues

Instabuy!

Currently playing: Terraria, Warhammer Quest, Junk Jack X, Starbase Orion, XCom
GameCenter ID: DHGamer
10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Bought! Will give imps after I have played a bit.
10-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I beta tested Empire and really liked it. It reminds me of Civilization (in turn based interface along with resource management empire building) with a randomized card selection component. There's a little bit of a learning curve but it mostly boils down to menu/card based resource management. Ever week/turn your cities gathers resources from lands directly around it varying by land type. Cities need food to grow (food storage determines city upgrade), materials pay for soldiers (but material storage is limited to 200). Every so often per city (when you get an upgrade with 100 food) you can chose to explore tiles around the edge of the map by decreasing fog of war by 1, upgrade city (increasing post-combat card booty, reducing army costs, etc), or building a settler for additional city. There is a corruption called "desolation" that creeps up and you must defend against monsters it spawns or the toll it takes on your lands (which ultimately competes with you for resources collectively destroying settlements so you've got to keep a move). You have to pull resources from the land them relocate while defending against corruption. Combat is turn based on a square grid with 4 cards that become available to determine special buffs/debuffs commands (some passive, some requiring action). Units move in a limited pattern (which can be altered by cards) until they get in range with enemies (sort of an automatic turn based scrolling rather than free reign). "Strife" cards are added to the deck with casualties and block off that spot from drawing any helpful card. Battle victory can reward additional cards. It's an interesting game with some nice design touches are a bit of depth (yet streamlined) well worth $3.

Last edited by undeadcow; 10-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.