Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Spout: monochrome mission

Hi everyone itís one of my first post here. Iíve released a small game a few days ago (itís also available on Android). And I would greatly appreciate more feedback! Thatís the main reason I am posting here so please tell me what you think of Spout: monochrome mission

What is this game anyway? To remain simple this a retro procedurally generated arcade game. The minimalist style is kind of intended as this game is inspired by a game I used to play on gp32/gp2x (who remembers those handhelds? ). Basically the goal is to go as high as possible without touching any ground. The twist is the environment is destroyable with the particles that come out of the ship so you can make your own way through the level. If I'm not clear just check the video below.

Every Ďlevelí is passed when you pass the black line, then the difficulty (ie. the density of the grey blocks) increases. Controls are easy as well: rotate left, rotate right, throttle. Sorry it's virtual buttons which is not ideal but still quite playable.

By the way the game is using the Game Center leaderboards because, well, itís funnier to have the ability to brag a little!

Thanks for your interest guys and if you have any question feel free to ask them. If you want the game for free just send me a private message and Iíll try to get you a promo code if you are nice and polite

For the future I already have some ideas but Iím open to any suggestion.

You can buy it for .99$ on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spout-monochrome-mission/id698736221?ls=1&mt=8

Here are the mandatory screenshot/video/link

Youtube link | Pop Up

The "official" website where you can find more screenshots and the android version as well.

Last edited by birslip; 10-07-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Picked this up. Reminds me of like an endless Lunar Lander in that you have to control your thrust to successfully maneuver around and through increasingly tight spaces. Plus the environmental destruction is cool. It's not the deepest game but it controls well and the particle effects are pretty entertaining. IMO it's a game I could see myself coming back to often when I have time to kill. The destructible environments do add some strategy in choosing the optimal path to maneuver and you definitely have to control your momentum and thrust once the environments get more densely populated

Last edited by Bronxsta; 10-07-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

As for suggestions (I haven't made it that far so some of these could already be in the game)
- Indestructable objects that allow your thrust to bounce off, would allow for some puzzle-esque scenarios
- Moving obstacles - then you could have shrinking tunnels and areas like that
- Mode with a wall of death or laser chasing you, need to act/react faster to succeed
- since you're on a space mission, maybe enemies with different behaviors (block your thrust, absorb your thrust and spray it back at you, absorb your thrust and explode)
- maybe picks up or power ups (slow motion, super thrust, shield that lets you carve straight through obstacles, etc.)

Last edited by Bronxsta; 10-07-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

- I think the buttons work well, but an option for joystick would be nice
- Personally I found the pause button hard to tap, especially with a case on my phone. Maybe it could be moved to center rather than the side
- Something should be added to provide an incentive for measured control your thrust. Right now especially in the early levels, you can just spin your thruster around and clear away everything around you. Maybe bonus points could be earned for only using thrust for X amount of seconds in each level.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I have a little Chinese handheld system that has a port of this. It is a great little highscore game. I haven't tried this version yet. Anyway here's the appinfo.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spout-monochrome-mission/id698736221?ls=1&mt=8

Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

I'm enjoying this game and happy that I bought it. It's not the kind of game that'll make waves on the app charts but it's fun and probably wouldn't get much attention otherwise so I'm spreading the word on Reddit and NeoGAF. Don't know if you're on those sites but here are thread links:
http://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/co...de_flyer_with/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85235320

And I'll have my review up on my blog tomorrow as well
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Cool little game. Are you supossed to have to turn the volume up all the way to hear the thrust effects?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian View Post
Cool little game. Are you supossed to have to turn the volume up all the way to hear the thrust effects?
This^

I didn't even realize there were thruster sound effects until I read this post. Which is weird because the explosion effect when you touch a surface is audible at normal volume levels

Last edited by Bronxsta; 10-08-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Nice little game. But yeah would love to hear the thruster more. Think this one has loads of potential, throw in some retro baddies later on etc. Nice little game, tiny filesize, buttons work well. Love the Speccy font on the title page to start etc.

Last edited by psj3809; 10-08-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I love games like this. Beautiful in its simplicity. Doesn't do a whole lot (barely anything, really) but everything works so smoothly and perfectly. I love the concept, destructible environments have always really intrigued me and this is a wonderful game that creatively utilizes it. There seemed to be a slight moral aspect to it too, I felt kind of bad polluting the perfect blocky landscape with the pixels I spewed everywhere (though I doubt that was intentional).
Really nice game though, it's the kind of thing I can see myself consistently coming back to. Pick this one up.