★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is Billy Frontier an ipod killer?

08-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Is Billy Frontier an ipod killer?

Watch out for Billy Frontier they say
For there are at least two people who have had
major problems with their ipod touch after installing
Pangea Software's outlaw game

Innocent bystander or ipod / iphone killer?

Please post here if you have had a problem
with your device since installing
BILLY FRONTIER
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Didn't have any problems with Billy Frontier

I did have to do a complete restore after installing Asphalt 4, well it was either that or papijump.
Got the Apple logo of death.
Really annoying.. took hours to restore and install all the apps again.
Backup was useless.. corrupt or something.
I think the more complex the apps get, they're more at risk of corrupting something on the system.
Totally worth it though.
Fantastic device, anyone wanna buy my PSP?
08-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniousMac View Post
I did have to do a complete restore after installing Asphalt 4, well it was either that or papijump.
Got the Apple logo of death.
Really annoying.. took hours to restore and install all the apps again.
Backup was useless.. corrupt or something.
I think the more complex the apps get, they're more at risk of corrupting something on the system.
Totally worth it though.
Fantastic device, anyone wanna buy my PSP?
Actually, the larger apps are, the longer it takes for Springboard to 'regenerate the application map' ... Unfortunately, if that process takes longer than two minutes, you're screwed - there's a watchdog process which forcibly kills and then restarts Springboard if it is unresponsive, which essentially means it is never able to complete its task.

However, it VERY easy to recover from an Apple Logo of Death, as long as you're jailbroken and have OpenSSH installed. See here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554492
09-01-2008, 05:12 PM
It killed my iPhone 3G. Trying to download it and got the SOD, which I just couldn't recover from. Hasn't happened installing any other program. My back-up was corrupt as well, so all those hours playing the back-up lottery for absolutely nothing!
I think I was more pissed off with Apple though than Pangea that I've spent so many hours of my life backing up when I needed to do a complete restore anyway. Have since jailbroken as I figure I'm getting no benefit doing things by the book.