★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Taxiball Promo Code?

07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Taxiball Promo Code?

Alright - so, one of the things that I'm finding sort of odd is that while Taxiball's gotten a lot of pretty great reviews (one of Offworld's 15 games you need, one of GamesRadar's best Free iPhone games (for the Free version), etc.), and response from people who've played the game has been really good, and the free version of the game's been accused of having too much, rather than too little...

Why hasn't the Free version gotten more downloads than it has?

If you haven't tried it yet, why?

(I'm asking because it's going to be relevant for the next thing we're working on. I hope this doesn't come off as I'm whining - I'm trying to find out how or why a Free game picks up momentum, since so far it hasn't happened for TB Free)

I have a number of Taxiball codes that I'll give out. Won't tell you how many. But I'm looking for thoughtful, insightful feedback. Bring up something that I haven't thought of, and you'll be in the running for a code!

Thanks!
seppo

Last edited by selfawaregames; 07-31-2009 at 12:32 PM.
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow this is a great game! the graphics remind me of Habbo hotel, and the music and sound effects match the gameplay perfectly. The thing is, I have never heard of it. Have you guys publicized this app alot? Because I've never heard anyone talk about it. Another suggestion is a scoreboard. I don't see one for online scores. I think that's another big deal in most games. I usually look for rankings when I go to play a game. Good game + Good Ranking System=Great game.

Rubicon on IAP:
Quote:
Almost all iOS spenders don't mind - they're not all tightwads like the tiny but very vocal minority who seem to get off on bitching about nearly free prices permanently.

Last edited by RobCRX; 07-31-2009 at 12:39 PM.

07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Bought this one when it was on sale.

I think I am guilty of not going back and posting reviews on Lite apps that I have bought the full version of, I'll check for Taxi Ball...

It is interesting to see the difference in reviews between lite and full versions of apps, I usually check them both out before buying a game (and of course reading the forums & reviews here!)

EDIT: Submitted a review for the lite version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 07-31-2009 at 12:43 PM.
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Many people dont wont to have lite versions, they wont the real stuff you now.
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I'll give my reasons for not trying it out, but you're right. Everything I've read about the game has very positive feedback/reviews. I've personally stopped trying lite versions unless I'm genuinely interested in the game. There have been way too many games I've tried and just wasted my time and have just become extremely picky when trying lite versions, and likely missing out on some gems....

There are 2 things that stand out for me.
The graphics. It just looks like a cell phone port, and most of the time, they play like a cell phone port....could be wrong but that's the first and only thing I see from the screenshots. They just don't do it for me.

Other thing is since it's an accelerometer based game, I need to know I can configure it to play in bed (which is where I play most of my games). You say "intuitive controls" but I need to know that I can configure them to play in a lying down position?

It's probably not fair to judge it by its looks and as you've said and I've read...glowing reviews, but just unable to take the leap as sad as it sounds...
Just my personal views, take it for what it's worth.
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post
I'll give my reasons for not trying it out, but you're right. Everything I've read about the game has very positive feedback/reviews. I've personally stopped trying lite versions unless I'm genuinely interested in the game. There have been way too many games I've tried and just wasted my time and have just become extremely picky when trying lite versions, and likely missing out on some gems....

There are 2 things that stand out for me.
The graphics. It just looks like a cell phone port, and most of the time, they play like a cell phone port....could be wrong but that's the first and only thing I see from the screenshots. They just don't do it for me.

Other thing is since it's an accelerometer based game, I need to know I can configure it to play in bed (which is where I play most of my games). You say "intuitive controls" but I need to know that I can configure them to play in a lying down position?

It's probably not fair to judge it by its looks and as you've said and I've read...glowing reviews, but just unable to take the leap as sad as it sounds...
Just my personal views, take it for what it's worth.
Yea a joystick would be cool, but I think the purpose of the game is to be innovative and use the ipods hardware.

I personally like the graphics, Fancy doesn't always mean better. The game plays well too.

Rubicon on IAP:
Quote:
Almost all iOS spenders don't mind - they're not all tightwads like the tiny but very vocal minority who seem to get off on bitching about nearly free prices permanently.
07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
The reason I haven't tried out Taxiball yet it because I'm too lazy to download the lite version.

I rarely download lite versions only because searching for it, downloading it, playing it, then deleting it takes a painstakingly long amount of time on my 1st gen iPhone. I would rather use that time playing another game rather than demoing a game that I'm not that interested in. Sure, it got great reviews and all, but I have no clue what the game is about. The lite version will, of course, show what the game is about, but for now I'm too lazy to download lite versions.

Don't flame me for being lazy, most of you are lazy at times.

Oh, and I barely have space on my iPhone for a lite version of the game.
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone1007 View Post
The reason I haven't tried out Taxiball yet it because I'm too lazy to download the lite version.

I rarely download lite versions only because searching for it, downloading it, playing it, then deleting it takes a painstakingly long amount of time on my 1st gen iPhone. I would rather use that time playing another game rather than demoing a game that I'm not that interested in. Sure, it got great reviews and all, but I have no clue what the game is about. The lite version will, of course, show what the game is about, but for now I'm too lazy to download lite versions.

Don't flame me for being lazy, most of you are lazy at times.

Oh, and I barely have space on my iPhone for a lite version of the game.
Yea I tend not to download lite versions of games I've never heard of. When game is publicized it gets recognition. Those games are the only ones I download the lite version for.

Rubicon on IAP:
Quote:
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
"lite and free"

i like the game,reminds me of habbo but i think people dont want lite versions because they are usually very short like gamelofts lite version

usually u need to advertise the lite version a little then it wil get more people but i guess people dont want to have the word "free" or "lite" in the games or in the icons
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey117 View Post
i like the game,reminds me of habbo but i think people dont want lite versions because they are usually very short like gamelofts lite version

usually u need to advertise the lite version a little then it wil get more people but i guess people dont want to have the word "free" or "lite" in the games or in the icons
Exactly, advertising sells games.

Rubicon on IAP:
Quote: