★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Full vs Lite

07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Full vs Lite

Hey, so while my update for 2 Block is in submission. I've already began working on the features for the next update.

Now I'm curious, from what I've read Lite versions don't really take away from sales, so... what kind of features do people generally expect to see/not to see in a Lite version? Do people prefer things like, time limited play? less features? Ads? or what exactly?

Josh Yaw - www.subtractionstudios.com
iPhone/iPod Touch Games
2 Block - Released! July 23
Fridger - Released Oct 6!
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Send a message via AIM to Bluellama1 Send a message via Yahoo to Bluellama1 Send a message via Skype™ to Bluellama1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
Hey, so while my update for 2 Block is in submission. I've already began working on the features for the next update.

Now I'm curious, from what I've read Lite versions don't really take away from sales, so... what kind of features do people generally expect to see/not to see in a Lite version? Do people prefer things like, time limited play? less features? Ads? or what exactly?
Most lite versions just have less features. If you were to make 2 Block FREE most would just expect ads. Hope I helped!

"Send a noob to kill a noob."
TFW Hoenn actually confirmed

07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
iCombat

Some great insight on this topic:
http://www.theapplicationfarm.com/20...p-boost-sales/
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
hah ya thanks, I was reading that articles and that's what got me interested in it :P

and from the looks of it, ad sites/programs are pretty crap. I'm thinking I'll try something like the "This feature is disabled, Purchase the full version blah blah blah"

iPhone/iPod Touch Games
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
having a disabled option in a lite version will get it rejected by apple
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Really? so I can't do something like, for example, in my game I have a survival mode/timed mode. I can't make it so that when the user clicks survival mode it brings up a prompt saying "If you'd like this feature, please purchase the full version"?

If that's what you're saying is it from experience or what? cause that would seem pretty normal for Lite/Demo versions of games.

iPhone/iPod Touch Games
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Ryan el champ
After playing all the lite games on my phone i have not seen any messages displaying buy the full version to unlock. On every app it lets you use thefeature but it may only be for a short time. So maybe you should allow the feature in your lite version but make it a timed trial

I play to win...

XBL Gamertag: Dude its minion
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
Really? so I can't do something like, for example, in my game I have a survival mode/timed mode. I can't make it so that when the user clicks survival mode it brings up a prompt saying "If you'd like this feature, please purchase the full version"?

If that's what you're saying is it from experience or what? cause that would seem pretty normal for Lite/Demo versions of games.
Nope, it'll get rejected. Talking from experience.
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Blue Defense Lite prevents you from playing levels and starting waves, only classic is allowed.

It says to buy the full version when you press the other two, so I guess this is the only lite that apple let by?

back
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I guess it depends on the type of game but my first choice would be for a limited number of levels or a time limited game (as long as it isn't something stupid like 1 or 2 minutes). Ad-sponsored is ok if you can guarantee that the advertisers are reputable as a lot of iPhones/iPod Touches may be owned by kids.