★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Challenge an unfathomable enemy and forge your destiny as a legendary hero in the thrilling new action RPG, Shadowslayer: Dawn of the Lightforge!

Explore a richly detailed world, craft impenetrable gear, develop unique and powerful abilities, and battle the Corrupted as you uncover the mysteries of a forgotten kingdom.

THRILLING & IMMERSIVE ACTION RPG!

Hack & Slash or Blast & Burn hordes of fearsome enemies!
Embark on heroic quests full of intense battles and awesome adventures!
Fight the Corrupted across stunning, combat-filled landscapes!
Immerse yourself in an epic storyline!
Uncover and fulfill your mysterious destiny!

EXTENSIVE HERO CUSTOMIZATION!

Charge into battle as a deadly, weapon-wielding Warrior!
Incinerate enemies from a distance as a supernatural Wizard!
Forge indestructible armor and superior weaponry!
Learn and upgrade dozens of unique skills and abilities!

REBUILD AN ANCIENT WONDER!

Harness the might of the ancient Lightforge!
Build a productive safe haven full of Homes, Crafters, Workshops, and more!
Use powerful Sunstones to adventure and take the fight to the Corrupted!

NOTE: This game is optimized for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, and iPod Touch (5th Gen).
10-10-2013, 03:04 PM
So yep, this is a freebie, just as their other tites like Battle Nations.

I played for about 10 minutes to get a feel. The art is nice and the presentation is done well.

But I posted it because I know a lot of people might really like it.

It's free, give it a shot. It certainly does not lack in quality.

10-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Hmm..guess this is their first attempt at an RPG. Might be worth checking out. Looking at the IAPs, this may be a "lite" version with one of the IAPs being a $2.99 Chapter 1 Legendary Bundle.

Think I'll check it out just I see how it compares to other action RPGs put there.
10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I'll go ahead and say the base game is very good and well polished.

Okay after giving it its compliment, I'll have to say the rest is pretty bad. IAP all around. Basically many/most main base buildings need the IAP stones to upgrade and when you run out, guess what you need to spend more real $ on? And if you don't spend that, SOME (not all) buildings give you repair options or whatever for gold. That sounds good. Except if you choose that route, you'd have to wait an hour or longer. In the beginning tutorial, you'll want to save your free stones but if you don't spend them, you can't progress for another hour. The game implies that you need to keep spending those stones. So even in the tutorial, the game is teaching you that if you don't spend stones, you'll be getting nowhere for a long time. However as I said earlier, some resource buildings cannot be upgraded without stones so if you enjoy long long long grindy games, this is for you.

I think the worst IAP games are the ones where you have to keep spending real $ on consumables to continue. In fact, if you DID do that and you wanted to replay the game at some point, you'd have to spend all the money all over again.
10-10-2013, 04:42 PM
^^ Yeah, only played a bit but looks pretty IAP heavy and also see in the settings what appear to be notifications for timers (aside from consumables, the second worst form of IAP). Also need persistent online connection.

It's ashame because the art direction is fantastic and it seemed to have potential. Had hoped that $2.99 was some sort of one-time unlock.
10-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I think the worst IAP games are the ones where you have to keep spending real $ on consumables to continue. In fact, if you DID do that and you wanted to replay the game at some point, you'd have to spend all the money all over again.
Yes. That is a great point.

I'm not a huge fan of timers and this game has them. I've said this before and I say it again: Developers are very uncreative when timers are implemented. It's the cheapest tactic to profit from a game. It isn't just uncreative, it's greedy. I realize bigger companies need specific revenues to profit but maybe adjust the budget instead of making the game experience suffer. This is a huge problem in mobile gaming and EA is at the top of the list.

Some developers are better than others at this so it's entirely possible.
10-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, the game's got a decent amount of polish and is worth playing through as a "second-string" kind of game - something you play when you can't proceed any further in your main game of choice, so you putter with this one as far as it will let you before you get blocked by a timer.

It pretty much uses every trick in the book to delay your progress, too. Resources? Gold. Food. Wood. Stone. Ore. Sunstones (needed for adventures, regenerate to capacity in about a day). Crystals (your stereotypical "premium currency"). And various other one-shot items used for forging.

It also drifts into some of the "forbidden in-app purchase" gimmicks. Quests that are impossible to complete without spending crystals. Sets of 5-piece equipment that offer special bonuses if you complete the set; four parts can be forged normally, the fifth requires a premium resource. Deals available "for a limited time" being thrust into your face every time you turn around. A bag capacity that's just SLIGHTLY too small to be functional without paying for an upgrade. The inability to work on more than one multi-hour building project at a time unless you buy more workers with premium currency. You know the drill.

That said, I'm still tweaking with it - it's fun enough as a distraction, and I know all of the premium items for the first several chapters (especially the equipment) will become obsolete as soon as I turn around, so it's easy enough to ignore the BUY SOMETHIN' WILL YA prompts.
10-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
It's ashame because the art direction is fantastic and it seemed to have potential.
It's like walking a beautiful field of flowers littered with booby traps and mines. Fortunately we are so conditioned at this point that choosing to walk around the field is almost automatic.
10-13-2013, 01:52 AM
REALLY fun game. I don't know why this system isn't utilized more; touch to move, auto-attack, and buttons for skills make it very intense and interactive for an iOS game.

However, the timers are out of this world. Play for ten minutes, wait three hours. I'm literally not kidding. I want to love this game and put hours into it, and then spend money on awesome vanity gear or building upgrades, but this game has none of that. Or all of it. It's like a 24-hour arcade. Except the developers forgot that people go to arcades every month or so, not everyday. Or once upon a time they did.