★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Try before you buy?

View Poll Results: Lite/Free versions - What is your buying process?
Yes - A lite/free versions is always a must. 5 15.15%
Sometimes - I buy because I trust the developer for quality. 10 30.30%
Sometimes - It's not that much $$$ to spend regardless. 4 12.12%
No - I purchase based on reviews, videos, and ads. 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chrisrushing
Try before you buy?

It really varies for me, but most of the time i refuse to purchase an app if they don't offer a free or lite version to let me test it out.

Some of few games/apps that I have bought without trying a lite version I've regretted afterwards because of one reason or another. For example i wasn't happy with the interface, the gameplay got boring WAY faster than expected, etc... there could be a million reasons.

I'm so glad I didn't buy a number of games that are popular on this forum because they finally released lite versions. An unpolished game, especially unpolished interface/type work... I cannot leave on my phone.

Just curious of the communities thoughts, so i made the poll.
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
It doesnt make a difference to me. there is a good enough community here to be able to get honest thoughts on a game. That usually tells you enough about the game.

also if you only went on lites then you end up missing out on a lot of brilliant games.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06

Last edited by walsh06; 07-31-2009 at 01:10 PM.

07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
It is a combo of all. I watch videos, read a lot of the community feedback, etc. If there is a lite version, I will try that out, but if it is a developer I trust, than I might just skip, and I haven't picked a bad game that way in a while.
Most recent were puzzlings, baseball slugger, minigore, and star hogs. I didn't even try starhogs lite because I have all of the IUGO games, and haven't been let down yet.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Come on guys....

Do you do this if your money? Just buy a thing without trying?

Do you buy a car without a test drive? Do you buy a tshirt withou trying it out?

Come one....No wonder US is on a crisis....people do not know what to do with money......
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
I rarely try lite version before buying game, because many times there arent lite versions of games I am interested in so I used to go for it with knowledge of reviews/videos. I am also buying many times in sales, so I dont care that much about trying lite before buying

edit: but for puzzle games I need lite version. They all look same on pictures, yet they offer really different gameplay

Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68

Last edited by JCik68; 07-31-2009 at 02:13 PM.
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't bother with lites. I usually go with what looks interesting and has all the "hype".
There are some games that I won't buy regardless though, simply because it might not interest me.

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
The answer to the poll is ALL OF THE ABOVE
07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Come on guys....

Do you do this if your money? Just buy a thing without trying?

Do you buy a car without a test drive? Do you buy a tshirt withou trying it out?

Come one....No wonder US is on a crisis....people do not know what to do with money......
do you take a bite of a mars bar before purchasing or a sip of the coffee. No you dont. The reason i say these is because these are much closer to the price of an app then the price of a car.

07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chrisrushing
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh06 View Post
do you take a bite of a mars bar before purchasing or a sip of the coffee. No you dont. The reason i say these is because these are much closer to the price of an app then the price of a car.
Comparing a mars bar to a video game is an illogical comparison.

You aren't going to buy Zenonia or GeoDefense a few times a month. You purchase it once. It's more comparable to a standard video game or piece of equipment.

Thats why when you go in best buy there are demos of games and products.
Thats why there are tons of demos available on xbox live.
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
but my point isnt the thing you are buying its the price. I can understand trying something before you spend €60 on it. But if a €2 game affects you that much, you shouldnt be buying games anyway.