App description: DynGen Hunter is a old school 2d RPG/roguelike.
It is a procedural generated, permadeath game that encourages feelings of nostalgia and of better times.
The map, names, loot and enemies are all dynamically generated and the map is persistent. The map will be the same for everyone that plays the game and is infinite.
There are various locations you can discover and if you are the first one to find a lake, graveyard or mud hut, then every time someone else visits that location, they will see you were the first person to claim it!

What can I do?

There are many things you can do in the game:

* Level Up!
* Find gold or items in the wilderness
* Loot more than 1300 weapons!
* Fight enemies to the death
* Discover new locations and have your name immortalized forever!
* Buy and sell loot at the shops
* Perform quests for the people of the land
* Eat food to regain health

evanac's comments:
Has anyone checked this out?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dyngen-hunter/id690014099?mt=8

Looks kind of interesting, but not sure what to make of it yet. I can't find any coverage of it, a website, Youtube footage, anything! :S
10-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi Evanac

I think you should give it a go, but I would say that as I am the developer.

I have put the game out for review everywhere I can find - but there must be a backlog as its taking a while

Would you like to see a YouTube Lets play?
What else would convince you?

AH

DynGen Hunter - An old school 2d Roguelike/RPG: iPhone/iPad - Android - Firefox OS

10-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Looks good. Haven't any credit on itunes right now. So some impressions would be great

Regards
10-31-2013, 11:19 AM

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
I think I just need to know more about it. It's not the money that puts me off - I just don't quite understand what the game is.

Is it a traditional roguelike? Or does it just have RL elements. More data would be great and a video or trailer even better!

I am a huge RL fan and AppStore gamer in general - I've bought around 300 games so far!

Thanks for getting back to me.
10-31-2013, 11:57 AM
It is a rogue like - but with a few twists.

The map is random, but persistent. All players will play on the same map, but as new parts of the map are discovered, they will be generated randomly and then saved for all players.

This is where the discovery element comes in. There are various features, such as lakes and graveyards which save the name of the person who discovered them. So if you discover a new graveyard, everytime someone else goes to that graveyard, they will see that "evanac was the first person to discover this graveyard!". This is to encourage exploration.

The quests, weapons, loot and enemies are all entirely random and there is a (currently crude) leaderboard to add a bit of competition between players.

If you have any more questions, just ask!

DynGen Hunter - An old school 2d Roguelike/RPG: iPhone/iPad - Android - Firefox OS
10-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Sounds kinda nice. So it's random until discovered, at which point it'll be the same for all players... nice idea.

Regarding the game systems, does it play like a roguelike in terms of combat? Walk into enemy to attack (hidden dice roll).

Some other questions:
Do you have limited view of the world (line of sight)?
Do you get hungry?
Do you have a weight limit for equipment?
is there a 'back to town' feature to restore your HP/buy weapons etc?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm working on a roguelike action game right now, so it's all very interesting to me. ;D
10-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Some more questions: why total lack of sound? How to replenish health. Dont think i will play this any longer since seems all the quests are "find place x" and theres no map and everything looks the same. Also my first play on ipad 3 ended game crashing on me.

Last edited by Duke12; 10-31-2013 at 12:15 PM.
10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanac View Post

Regarding the game systems, does it play like a roguelike in terms of combat? Walk into enemy to attack (hidden dice roll).
Yes that's right.

Some other questions:
Do you have limited view of the world (line of sight)?

There's no line of sight, but you only get to see a small part of the world at a time.

Do you get hungry?

Not at the moment!

Do you have a weight limit for equipment?

There is but it's high, so you probably won't hit it

is there a 'back to town' feature to restore your HP/buy weapons etc?

No, but there are lots of shopkeepers around, to sell your stuff and buy health potions

Sorry for formatting, on my phone

AH

10-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke12 View Post
Some more questions: why total lack of sound? How to replenish health. Dont think i will play this any longer since seems all the quests are "find place x" and theres no map and everything looks the same. Also my first play on ipad 3 ended game crashing on me.
There is sound but not music. When you loot or fight there are sounds.
You can replenish health by levelling up or by using health potions.

When you say the game crashed? What happened? Did it just freeze? What were you doing at the time?

Thanks for the feedback