★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Very cool casual game Phit (Universal) free for the first time since 2008!

10-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Very cool casual game Phit (Universal) free for the first time since 2008!

iOS App Store Dinosaurus Alarm! Published in Aug. 23, 2008! One of the oldest games in town. From a time when swipe gestures on touchscreens were a very new thing. Got it's second and hyper-modern update (iCloud save, Game Center, fully automatic and extreme quick level progress…) five days ago. The new app design fits perfectly to iOS 7 (colors, fonts, controls). You can choose any level @ any time. 23 interesting achievements via Game Center app. Local records of best time and fewest moves via "Jump to level".

Love the reminiscence to the ancient iPhone times: You can see the iPhone status bar any time—not on newer iPads btw. but on older ones (read some postings below). Tested with iPhone 5 and iPad 4, iOS 7.0.2. Retina graphics, 16:9. Very cool: No "In-App Purchases" for real money, no ads, no social networks crap, minimal file size, minimal name length, easy to look up in Spotlight search. Superb elegant and pure endless gameplay. Can't stop! Will stay on my devices for ∞

Highly recommended!

And no, it's NOT Tetris at all.

Edit: Couldn't phind Phit Phree ;-) Yet to be released obviously.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 10-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.
10-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Yeah, caught this one. Nice little puzzler and another tiny file size that I love.

10-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would mistake this for Tetris based on the screenshots. It is cool to see oldies like this pop as free, though, and it certainly does look as if it were made for iOS 7, years in advance. Thanks for the heads-up!
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Noticed this earlier today but passed on it as I thought it was tetrisy based on the screenshot, now that I know it's not ill give it a go. Thanks
10-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice, and only 2mb.

Btw when I went to download it, it said that it requires iOS 6 but gave me an option to download the last compatible version, which looks significantly different (much worse lol)
10-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filing Cabinet View Post
Nice, and only 2mb.

Btw when I went to download it, it said that it requires iOS 6 but gave me an option to download the last compatible version, which looks significantly different (much worse lol)
No joke: That's one of the great new iOS features (as long as the devs support it like here). I tried that right now with my old iPad orig. ("1") with iOS 5.1.1. App Store app loaded the earlier Phit version with the old design (see screenshots from my iPad 1 below). So devs don't have to maintain ONE actual version for several iDevices (which grows larger and larger in file size with the years), but can set the App Store to download the old and fully functional (same gameplay) version for older devices.

Thats heart-warming and should be standard. Apple and devs care about customers with older devices instead of counting them out. Try that with other mobile os…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phit_ios-5-1-1_03.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	64895   Click image for larger version

Name:	phit_ios-5-1-1_01.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	64896  

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
10-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Great. Thanks a lot, Habakuk.

Pine Entertainment
10-22-2013, 02:39 AM
Sounds fun!

Thanks for the heads up
10-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Great way to enjoy free time. Tons of level.
10-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Noticed this on yesterday's IGN App Updates email newsletter thing. Gave it a try because of the publisher alone. For a simple puzzle game it's decent but nothing I'll probably play more than the one time trying it out. No harm though, it was free and this isn't a genre I typically buy games in anyway.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.