★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Shpop

08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Shpop

itunes link - 99 cents

Shpop

Shpop is a 3D shoot 'em up featuring:
- 3 weapons (bullets, flamethrower, electricity)
- 3 upgrades for each weapon
- 3 special weapons (plasma, shield, vortex)
- Secret Passages
- Atmospheric effects
- Full 3D environment increasing the level of difficulty (you can crash into buildings)
- A bonus game called: "Highway to Hell" in which you fly a ship on the highway and have to avoid cars coming in front of you while accelerating
- Online highscore table to keep track of the best times made on "Highway to Hell"

You may find the trailer here:

Youtube link | Pop Up
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I've only played a couple of times so far, but I'm already having mixed feelings about it. Also, keep in mind that I've only played this on easy mode so far. It's a scrolling shooter, so that's already a plus. However, the game is "on rails" like Pandemonium, which is both good and bad. The good of that is that you're not just flying a straight path the whole time. For example, you start out in a city, and it actually feels like you're flying around the city instead of just going down the main thoroughfare. On the down side, the path choices often feel too forced and sometimes lead into situations that are hard to dodge. The 3D is cool because unlike most shooters, it's not just a novelty. Unfortunately, I haven't found a foolproof way yet to tell when a building is safe to fly over and when it's going to cause you to crash (short of remembering the last time I tried a particular building, that is).

There are two types of weapons - your main gun and a special weapon. To start the game you get to choose your special weapon, and your choices are Plasma, Shield and Vortex. I'd assume shield is what you'd think it is, but there's no explanation as to what Plasma and Vortex do (and I'll confess to not having tried the special weapon yet). As for your standard weapon, it's on auto-fire, which is fine with me. So far I've gotten two different types of upgrades for this weapon. The first turns it into a flame thrower and the second into some sort of targeting laser. I don't know what the standard weapon does to bad guys that take several hits to kill, but so far neither of the special weapons have been very effective against the more powerful enemies. To control the ship you just drag your finger around the screen, and double tap launches a special weapon.

The graphics look good. There's not a whole lot of detail in the textures on objects, but then most things you're seeing from an overhead perspective anyway. The sound effects are decent enough, and the music is actually pretty good. I haven't tried the bonus game yet, but from what I understand it's basically a matter of flying along a highway trying to dodge oncoming traffic.

If you're a die hard shooter fan, the game's worth a shot right now if for no other reason than because it's 99 cents, it's 3D, and the game play is different than most other shooters you've played on the iPhone. I'm still not convinced it works for me, though.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
If you live in Switzerland, click HERE to get the game for free as it's been sponsored by SwissCaution.
08-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
If you live in Switzerland, click HERE to get the game for free as it's been sponsored by SwissCaution.
ok, how do i make a swiss itunes account?
08-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
sign out, switch country to switzerland, click on his link (or search for ShpopSC), click on GET APP, window pop up, choose to create account, bla bla, choose NONE as payment option, bla bla. Wait for confirmation mail, login into your account, click on his link (or search for ShpopSC), click on GET APP, gratz you just got it for free

Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68
08-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Great! Thanks for the link, Scrat. I was a little disappointed first when the itunes link didn't work.

Even better that it's free. Thanks for sponsoring, SwissCaution.