Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Cellular or wifi only and why?

Guys I am a bit torn on this... What is everyone planning on getting and why? I work full time and only get an hour lunch with 2 fifteen minute breaks so I dont even know if I would bring my iPad to work or not.

But with that being said would that even come close to justifying the cost of a cellular iPad over a wifi only model? I play on my existing iPad at home mostly where I have wifi so I cant make up my mind for when I buy the new one.

Also with the cellular model comes a montlhy fee for data to add it to a existing plan.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Geez no help out here?!??
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I would stick with the wifi model unless you are playing lots of online games. Since as you mentioned it is going to cost another $30 a month for a data plan on top of the extra $130 for the 4G service model. So basically you are going to pay an extra $490 for the first year to plays games online anytime.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Geez no help out here?!??
What exactly do you need help with? It's a purely personal decision that will by definition vary from individual to individual based on how they intend to use their iPad.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

When I bought mine 2 years back I had the same considerations.
Decided on Wifi only really fast. I only play at home, or at friends where I can use their Wifi should I need it. And the like one time a month where I use it somewhere without Wifi access: Doesn't matter, I can wait an hour or two.
You know, my old-school dead trees (aka books) have neither
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Guys I am a bit torn on this... What is everyone planning on getting and why? I work full time and only get an hour lunch with 2 fifteen minute breaks so I dont even know if I would bring my iPad to work or not.

But with that being said would that even come close to justifying the cost of a cellular iPad over a wifi only model? I play on my existing iPad at home mostly where I have wifi so I cant make up my mind for when I buy the new one.

Also with the cellular model comes a montlhy fee for data to add it to a existing plan.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Like Gabrien said, there isn't an "answer", but i can give you my opinion.
If you aren't going to be using, or more importantly needing cellular data very often, the price difference between the wifi model and the cellular model is in no way worth it, especially with the monthly costs.
Get the wifi model.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Just to muddy the water, I started out with a WiFi-only iPad 1 and soon came to regret that decision. It's wonderful to be able to take your iPad to a cafe, to a park, or on vacation and get useful work done.

I now have a phone plan that includes tethering, but that turns out to be a pain in the butt. I'm going back to native cellular data for the iPad.

The economics are really not so bad. It's an additional $130 for the hardware, that's true, but the data itself is cheap. If you're on AT&T, the iPad only costs $25 for three months (up to 1GB). T-Mobile has announced 200MB of FREE data per month.

A side benefit is that only cellular-equipped iPads have GPS. Sure, you can use your phone most of the time, but it's sure nice to have an iPad for navigation on a road trip.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Hey I appreciate everyones response and am leaning toward wifi only. I didnt even think about the tethering so I can always do that if need be!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

I have cellular iPad 2s, but I am leaning towards the Wi-Fi only iPad Air or retina iPad Mini as my iPhone 5C seems capable of consistently working as a hotspot now, compared to the iPhone 4...
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
I have cellular iPad 2s, but I am leaning towards the Wi-Fi only iPad Air or retina iPad Mini as my iPhone 5C seems capable of consistently working as a hotspot now, compared to the iPhone 4...
I agree does it cost anything to do a hotspot? Like plan wise?