★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Bomb Commander

08-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Bomb Commander

Price-$1.99/1.19

Experience action like never before with Bomb Commander!

Easy-to-learn but difficult to master, come join this new stylish take on adventuring into space.
Test your reflexes and brain as you incorporate a wide range of arsenal and take on the most challenging of space foes. Combine bomb attacks into devastating chain reactions that will wipe away your enemies and save the Earth from destruction!

Compete in space and across the world with stat tracking through online leaderboards.

Think, bomb and win!

- Track your scores through Online Leaderboards
- Unlock three game modes challenging your ability to think and react quickly
- Four upgradable weapon types, each requiring unique tactics

Last edited by THE STUD; 08-03-2009 at 09:36 AM.
08-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Send a message via AIM to russiaone
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE STUD View Post
[center]Price-$1.99/1.19

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324167937&mt=8

Experience action like never before with Bomb Commander!
Looks hot. Video would probably push me over the top.

Last edited by DaveMc99; 08-02-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: no need to quote all the pics

08-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Does look pretty amazing... would definitely consider TOFTT if a gameplay video could be posted.
08-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Not sure I saw the first post so thanks for the second...........
08-02-2009, 04:50 AM
yep..a video would be nice...
08-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0tent1al View Post
Does look pretty amazing... would definitely consider TOFTT if a gameplay video could be posted.
It wouldn't be TOFTT if you saw a gameplay video first :P

Currently Playing: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer, Summoner Wars

Game Center: Camzeee
08-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camzy View Post
It wouldn't be TOFTT if you saw a gameplay video first :P
lol... good point Camzy! ok.. will grab this in a little while and fire up some comments a little later.
08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Bomb Commander
Your mission is as simple as it is difficult...

Bomb Commander is an planet defense game in which your aim is to wipe out the hoards of attacking enemy trying to destroy your planetary shield at the bottom of the screen.

How to play
When the enemy fly towards you simply tap on the hostile ship or the area close by, to trigger a bomb to take it out. the explosion can also cause a chain reaction and destroying other enemies in close vicinity.
(Think Sneezies if you have played that)
Chain reaction will trigger a variety of weapons and shield icons to appears, tap on them to collect them.

Your bomb is not the only weapon as enemy ships are taken out by firing a laser using the same tap mechanic, but the game will auto switch weapons to destroy the different enemy types.

THE WEAPONS
  • Bomb
Standard weapon - You begin with 100 at the start of the game
  • Laser Bomb
Upon detonation a further displacement of thunderbolts discharge to take out even more enemies than the standard bomb.
  • Black Hole Bomb
Creates a small, swirling black hole that pulls in nearby enemies.
  • The Supernova Bomb
Use the shake mechanic to trigger.. you only have five for the entire game mode... use wisely!

THE ENEMY
  • Drones
Small swarms ideal for chain reaction combinations as they fall towards your shield en mass.
  • Hunter and MegaHunters
Fighter ships that take one or multiple hits to destroy.
  • Battleships
Require several hits to destroy and will also spawn small drones if you take too long to destroy them.
  • Mastership
Large battlecruiser with shields and gun emplacements that appears at the end of a stage.

The Main menu screen gives a small glimpse of the polish that has gone into this game. Clean interface and silky smooth background animation of explosions and ships flying around.
At the start of the game you can only select normal difficulty.. the other levels must be unlocked. [Infinity] [Rainbow] [Sudden Death] and a fourth hidden mode.

THE STORY
In brief: 42 years have passed since the last attack and the enemy have returned and you are the last hope! I very much doubt there is a ongoing story throughout the game... The Story screen merely sets the stage.

THE GAME
starting off at a very easy pace the first wave drones falls towards the screen and you begin triggering explosions and chain reactions.. the game is very responsive and soon find your self placing shot carefully to pick up the chain reaction bonuses and racking up the scores.
Initially, I felt the game was also too easy and was quite prepared to start to feel critical towards it... but stick with it and the action will eventually get very frantic indeed.

New weapons get introduced after a certain number of stages and in terms of the gameplay balance, this seem to be just right.. (for me anyway)

Graphics
Beautiful presentation with a detailed animated backdrop. There is drop in frame rate at times as the mass of enemies fills the screen. (Using a iPhone 3G) but I didn't find this to be too much of a problem as the game still remained responsive.
Nice effects on explosions and weapons.

Sound
If I had to raise one minor criticism is the spawning noise of the drones sounds just like the [pop!] sound in the Sneezies from the game of the same name. And this feels out of place with the nice deep bomb sound, Lasers and other backgrounds sounds.
The Main Menu music is a beautiful haunting piece but somewhat short and loops around too quickly.
Gameplay
The simplest of touch mechanics, with a nice variety in weapons and enemies that lifts this above the norm. I don't think this is a game offers much in terms of replay factor, but the inclusion of a local and global highscore table should keep you coming back for a long while.
Overall 4 out of 5
A pleasant surprise for me having not seen anything on this one until the first posting on TA and I am very pleased to have TOFTT and hit upon a nice little game.

Good luck to Anima Entertainment, I hope it gets the attention and sales you are looking for.
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Messed up!

Last edited by russiaone; 08-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Great review, but still need some video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxf7DgsseBM