★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iNetHack - now out & free!

08-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
iNetHack - now out & free!

And here we go! Freshly released for your roguelike needs!

iNethack - itms://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...&mt=8&s=143441

(FREE!)

with source code - http://code.google.com/p/inethack/source/checkout

Dirk Zimmermann's blog - http://blog.dirkz.com/

The original NetHack is a very complex game and doesn't come with manuals or tutorials. For those unfamiliar to the game, please refer to the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack which links to guides and such.

Last edited by Tempy; 08-02-2009 at 02:46 PM.
08-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Awesome, lets hope it works well

08-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Okay, that's it. Close the app store.
No more games need to be made. Nethack has arrived.

Woot! Grabbing now.

Hopefully this name will update soon as I requested a name change. I'm no longer affiliated with Atommo games.
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I've been crossing my fingers for a nethack port but was always aware of how difficult to get an interface that works. I must admit I'm having a hard time with this. Some of my memory of the commands is rusty but also some of the menus don't seem to be working for me.

I'll give it more time though and I'm really glad someone made this.
08-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Ambitious, and kudos to you for sticking to the GPL and releasing the source! Fumbled with it for a few minutes already, looking forward to some in depth playing.

With that said, I think you need a UI overhaul. Take a look at my implementation of Rogue Touch for ideas to streamline and make roguelikes more iPhone friendly...

Edit- Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss UI details, maybe I can help you out a bit too!

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
Ambitious, and kudos to you for sticking to the GPL and releasing the source! Fumbled with it for a few minutes already, looking forward to some in depth playing.

With that said, I think you need a UI overhaul. Take a look at my implementation of Rogue Touch for ideas to streamline and make roguelikes more iPhone friendly...

Edit- Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss UI details, maybe I can help you out a bit too!
Ah, I'm not the author. I just knew it was due soon and checked the author's blog and saw that it was out today.
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
Ah, I'm not the author. I just knew it was due soon and checked the author's blog and saw that it was out today.
Ahh, too bad. Maybe he'll show up here and I can chat with him then...

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Only for 3.0 software, no 2.x.x support...
08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Hmm, seems a tad buggy. And could definitely need an interface pass. I also don't quite find a way to kick in doors, though it has been a while since I've played any NetHack.
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I have no idea what to do