★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best fighting game for iOS/controller questions

10-28-2013, 01:40 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
Best fighting game for iOS/controller questions

Howdy,

What, in your opinion, is the best fighting game available for iOS? I'm looking for --

-Depth and complexity comparable to the best console fighters such as SSF4AE, UMvC3, KoF XIII, etc.
-A very strong, solid online community
-Potential compatibility with the upcoming iOS game controllers
-Excellent WiFi/bluetooth capabilities

The only ones I have looked at so far are SSF4 Volt, and KoF-i 2012.

Also, I am assuming that these games, along with numerous others, will eventually get iOS controller support. Do you think enough games will receive controller support to warrant picking one up after a few have hit the market? I feel like the introduction of a controller might change what types of games are released for iOS as well; this could be a huge change in iOS gaming, and for the better.

Thanks in advance for your input!
10-28-2013, 02:34 PM
#2
You mentioned pretty much all of them. And don't be too sure that they will get controller support in the near future.

10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentZer0 View Post
You mentioned pretty much all of them. And don't be too sure that they will get controller support in the near future.
Which one then, SSF4 Volt or KoF-i 2012, would you say has the stronger online community? Also, why would you not count on them getting controller support in the near future? I figured a lot of the "larger" games would get controller support relatively quickly.
10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,269
SFIV Volt, KoF-i 2012, SFxT and Kinetic Damage.

SFIV Volt is currently the game with most people online. It's VERY easy to find a match, both in ranked and friendlies. Keep in mind that the game is very old, and doesn't have every character from the console version. Also, the game is very cheap. It doesn't matter if you play like a pro and have godlike combos, you'll lose against a mashed Ultra/SRK like a LOT, more than in any other fighting game, and the game isn't perfectly balanced. The game's thread here is the thread with most views and comments, if that tells you anything.

KoF-i 2012 is the most complete fighting game right now. It has almost everything from the console version, with lots of modes and way more content than Volt, BUT it takes a bit of time to get a match since the game doesn't have a community as strong as Volt's.

SFxT has less content than the rest of fighting games (only 12 characters), those damn gems (these are WAY worse than in the console version), worse netcode than the other games and some other problems, but well, it's still cool, and even with all those problems is my favorite fighting game, although I'm starting to like KoF-i 2012 more than SFxT.

Then Kinetic Damage is another kind of 2D fighting game, with some other mechanics like different "health bars" for arms, legs, head and such. Unlike the other games, it's still in development (doesn't have online support YET) and it's made by just one guy.

That's pretty much it. Then you have gems like Soul Calibur (almost full port of the Dreamcast game with Retina graphics, solid framerate BUT without online multiplayer) and MvC2 (not that great, with worse controls than the rest of the games, but still cool). There are also some other not so famous fighting games for iOS, but IDK. Those are the best for me.
10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaroFN View Post
SFIV Volt, KoF-i 2012, SFxT and Kinetic Damage.

SFIV Volt is currently the game with most people online. It's VERY easy to find a match, both in ranked and friendlies. Keep in mind that the game is very old, and doesn't have every character from the console version. Also, the game is very cheap. It doesn't matter if you play like a pro and have godlike combos, you'll lose against a mashed Ultra/SRK like a LOT, more than in any other fighting game, and the game isn't perfectly balanced. The game's thread here is the thread with most views and comments, if that tells you anything.

KoF-i 2012 is the most complete fighting game right now. It has almost everything from the console version, with lots of modes and way more content than Volt, BUT it takes a bit of time to get a match since the game doesn't have a community as strong as Volt's.

SFxT has less content than the rest of fighting games (only 12 characters), those damn gems (these are WAY worse than in the console version), worse netcode than the other games and some other problems, but well, it's still cool, and even with all those problems is my favorite fighting game, although I'm starting to like KoF-i 2012 more than SFxT.

Then Kinetic Damage is another kind of 2D fighting game, with some other mechanics like different "health bars" for arms, legs, head and such. Unlike the other games, it's still in development (doesn't have online support YET) and it's made by just one guy.

That's pretty much it. Then you have gems like Soul Calibur (almost full port of the Dreamcast game with Retina graphics, solid framerate BUT without online multiplayer) and MvC2 (not that great, with worse controls than the rest of the games, but still cool). There are also some other not so famous fighting games for iOS, but IDK. Those are the best for me.
Wow, thanks for the very lengthy reply!

I suppose I will pick up both Volt and KoF-i 2012 and see which I prefer. I hope that KoF-i 2012 eventually gets a stronger community; it looks phenomenal.

I also saw a thread here about balancing Volt -- I wonder if Capcom will actually pay attention? It looks very well-developed.

Is there any reason to think that these games will NOT get controller support?
10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
#6
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,197
I just skimmed the thread, and im a little disappointed i didnt see Soul Calibur mentioned.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
#7
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
Read the thread again. It's mentioned.
10-28-2013, 09:35 PM
#8
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Wow, thanks for the very lengthy reply!

I suppose I will pick up both Volt and KoF-i 2012 and see which I prefer. I hope that KoF-i 2012 eventually gets a stronger community; it looks phenomenal.

I also saw a thread here about balancing Volt -- I wonder if Capcom will actually pay attention? It looks very well-developed.

Is there any reason to think that these games will NOT get controller support?
Both aren't even universal, so I doubt they will get controller support.

If you want that, probably Kinetic Damage may be the one that will add it cause it has icade.
10-28-2013, 09:55 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Both aren't even universal, so I doubt they will get controller support.

If you want that, probably Kinetic Damage may be the one that will add it cause it has icade.
Oh man that's a shame. I bet these would be phenomenal with controller support.

Time to pick up Volt!
10-28-2013, 10:03 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Oh man that's a shame. I bet these would be phenomenal with controller support.

Time to pick up Volt!
There is a jailbreak tweak called blutrol that might keep you interested.