★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: To Devs Who Hand Out Promo Codes...

12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
To Devs Who Hand Out Promo Codes...

i have gotten promotional codes and have reviewed their apps with 4+ stars.

but im sure one day, ill get a free app that is absolutely terrible...

do devs want us to rate their app low or just give out suggestions here? or both?

for example, i kinda would feel bad if i leave a one star for something that costs $1.99.. then my review drags their review count down...

so devs, please tell us what you want. and keep them promos coming jk.
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow, they pretty much tell you in their first post to leave unbiased reviews. If you'd bother to actually read the whole post. Close thread...

12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I've got quite a few free apps

Luckily none that I hated *keeps his fingers crossed*

I rate every game honestly but if it was bad I'd talk with the dev about some suggestions (I ALWAYS have suggestions, it's my job). If they are open to making their app better I'll leave the game on my phone and wait for an update before I give it a full review.

In the end every dev wants to make their game better, cause happy gamers leads to more word of mouth.

I consider the promos the same way I do when I get a beta version of a game.
12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
^^^ yeah. i offer suggestions and have done a lot of beta testing as well.

with beta testing, you talk to the devs directly. if an app is horrible, are we suppose to give them a review too or just contact them
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
i have gotten promotional codes and have reviewed their apps with 4+ stars.

but im sure one day, ill get a free app that is absolutely terrible...

do devs want us to rate their app low or just give out suggestions here? or both?

for example, i kinda would feel bad if i leave a one star for something that costs $1.99.. then my review drags their review count down...

so devs, please tell us what you want. and keep them promos coming jk.
For me anyway, I don't really expect a review one way or the other. Sure it'd be fantastic if a nice review got added, and not so great if a bad review resulted from a promotion. I think if I were on the receiving end of a promo code, and I had a problem with the game, I'd want to give the dev a chance to explain themselves, rather than writing a bad review, since they did just give me a free game. But that's just me.
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
They want 100% god awful truth. If you think the game needs improvements say it does. No on wants to give you a free game just so they get a good review. That means nothing. Honest reviews is what they want.

iTouch Gaming
Willing to blog about your game to help devs get their game out. PM if interested.
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
With beta testing you give the review to the developer. It is different because the feedback is private. Just because you have the beta you can't leave a review on iTunes. With the promo code you get the game, and I can only assume that means you can leave a review for it on itunes. I'd use common sense here. The game was free, leave a positive review or a neutral one that has constructive critism, but don't trash the game. I'd think you'd be better off saying nothing if it is terrible.

Might I add, don't get greedy folks. Just because someone is offering codes doesn't mean you have to jump on every one. Pick the games you want to play or you think you'd like.

/my 2 pennies
12-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Just be sure to be constructive if it's a bad review... don't just say "it sucks" or something, but sure to explain what you think would make it better and the devs will appreciate it a lot, then if they make changes, update your review and give them some extra credit for listening
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
For me anyway, I don't really expect a review one way or the other. Sure it'd be fantastic if a nice review got added, and not so great if a bad review resulted from a promotion. I think if I were on the receiving end of a promo code, and I had a problem with the game, I'd want to give the dev a chance to explain themselves, rather than writing a bad review, since they did just give me a free game. But that's just me.
What LWBS said. You are getting a free game.... And yes we want criticism and feedback directly. But, I actually dont love the fact that the review system has become a "here's a 1 star, heres how to fix your game, I promise I'll change my rating on it if you do a good update, wait I guess I forgot to change it after your update(sorry about having the 1star 5 months later)". If you are going to give a low rating, why not skip it and have a direct dialogue with the developer on what you think can be improved...

There are much better ways to let the developer know and if you recieved the code from them you probably have a way to contact them directly. A lot of people use the review system almost like a forum now, only we cant talk back to you, so our only response is with an update which you wont even see for at the very least a week... Its very limiting...

>>>>>> All-In Poker Rocks!<<<<<<
Visit Birdsoft for great iOS apps and games. Follow our Twitter.

Last edited by Birdsoft; 12-11-2008 at 04:17 PM.
12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
I've beta tested several games and reviewed lots of games as well. Here's what I do. If I think the game is worthy of four stars or more, I review it on iTunes and I might even try helping get the word out about it if I like it enough (Quadrum:Colors ). If I think the game needs some work, I just send my suggestions to the developer and see what they can do. Eventually, the problems will usually get fixed and then I review the game after I think it's worth four+ stars.

Oh, and if you got a promo code from a developer, and you hate the game, just leave them feedback. I'm sure they'd hate to have a bad review after they just gave you their game for free. It'd be a lot better to not write a review rather than righting a bad review.

If you bought a game and you hate it, you should probably give constructive feedback instead of things like "this ap is so bad! centroles are horuble! it crash evry day! DONT BYE IT CUZ ITS SO BDA!" - and make sure you edit your reviews on the app store if the developer has updated it enough to make it a better app.

Those are just my thoughts

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge