★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Escape From Doom > Free.

10-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Escape From Doom > Free.

Can't imagine too many people will be surprised.
10-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm so glad I haven't picked this up after reading EP's impressions. I'm not surprised by the price drop, but it was fast

Game Center: sink_or_swim

10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Pretty much expected this. Went ahead and locked in a license on this anyway.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.
10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
So this a sale or is it permanently free?
10-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Didn't want to be a downer in the main thread, but yeah, I can't say I'm overly surprised.

The game is fine, but there are just too many FTP elements to justify the price-tag.

DBC

I could never give up.
10-29-2013, 05:04 PM
LOL. How many people called this? And that's why I steered clear. It looks like a good game, but with freemium written all over it.

Well, maybe I'll check it out now, just to see how unbalanced it really is (especially when it was paid).
10-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Sadly, I feel too happy waiting on this as well.

I'm getting the same vibe from Echo Prime too...
10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Okay, so I paid full price for this and I whooped it 100% through all levels within three days or so without paying a penny or watching a single ad. I'm also middle aged with a job, so I'm not trying to imply I stayed home all day playing this thing. I have absolutely no idea what the hell people are talking about with it being some sort of pay wall IAP heavy game. Everything in the game can be had with little to no playtime and it was a simple enjoyable experience when it lasted. If you're going into this expecting it to be broken and unbalanced in favor of in app purchases, prepare to be disappointed. Everything seems blown out of proportion and grossly exaggerated honestly. Check it out for free, I don't regret paying full.
10-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink_or_swim View Post
I'm so glad I haven't picked this up after reading EP's impressions. I'm not surprised by the price drop, but it was fast
I don't understand all the hate in this thread either.

Exact-Pscience also said alot of good things about the game.

Almost the majority of games are dropping quick in this day and age, it's not just endless runners these days.
10-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I don't understand all the hate in this thread either.

Exact-Pscience also said alot of good things about the game.
He said some good things about the game, but if you go back to the main thread as well as the recent sale thread, you'll see that even he did not like the system in the game where you constantly lose currency or whatever it is you collect during runs if you brush into an enemy. And not to put words in E-P's mouth, but from what he said, it certainly didn't sound like he was recommending the game in the state it was in at the price being charged for it.

In fact, it was my trust in E-P's judgement that led me to NOT get this game. So I wasn't trying to be "hateful" in what I posted. I was going by what I heard from TA members that I have come to trust.

From the main thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Like in my previous impressions... Sights and sounds-wise this game is fantastic. The controls are very good too, with a few options available as well.

There is one mechanic i really hate in this game though that destroyed it for me... Losing ingame currency picked up when being hit. I had a run where i got about 300 emeralds in a run, only to die end game realizing i have ZERO emeralds. Realizing this, the only way to preserve a decent amount of emeralds, is to die purposefully which is pretty counter producive for an endless runner.

Sure there is a way to counter the bad mechanic but it takes a while (over an hour in my case, close to 2 hours i think) of grinding to do so. Another bad thing, is that countering the losing-emeralds mechanic will take up a perk slot which will hamper progress a bit.

Reason why im a bit disappointed is that the game definitely has potential, and I had high hopes for this since it was announced. One mechanic crushed these hopes bad.
(Note to EP: I'll take this out if you don't want me to quote you. But honestly, I do trust your views on games and it's why I passed on this one to begin with.)

Last edited by awp69; 10-29-2013 at 06:43 PM.