★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

XCOM: Enemy Unkown $19.99 > $9.99

10-30-2013, 05:23 AM
XCOM: Enemy Unkown $19.99 > $9.99

The other thread was closed, so...

10-30-2013, 06:10 AM
So does this run on an iPad 2 or still broken?

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

10-30-2013, 07:12 AM
I've played this from start to finish on an iPad 2 and had 2 crashes.
The graphics are less than if you had a 4th gen but that should be expected.
10-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiggbot View Post
So does this run on an iPad 2 or still broken?
It's still pretty crash happy on iPad 2/iPad Mini on iOS 7. 2K stated they are working on a fix though and they're trying to get it out ASAP. So if you want to play it eventually at half price, then maybe it's not a bad idea to get it now and wait for the update
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
How is this for somewhat casual gamers? I've seen all the hype but don't know much about the actual gameplay.
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by italodance View Post
Good finally is it strategy or TPS? or Tactics? which one?
This game has strategic base management (choose what to buy and when, what to research and build, etc.) and turn based tactical combat.
10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
How is this for somewhat casual gamers? I've seen all the hype but don't know much about the actual gameplay.
I'm pretty casual when it comes to strategy games (never finished the original, more "hardcore" X-com) and this is just fine for me.

They have simplified and streamlined a lot of the base management aspects from the original (to the point where many "hardcore" fans complained, lol) so you can concentrate more on killing aliens. Even the tactical combat has been streamlined a bit as well, but it is still deep and fun, as well as a lot more visually appealing. It's just not overwhelming to those that don't want to spend hours and hours to figure everything out.

Last edited by MrMojoRisin; 10-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.
10-30-2013, 08:45 AM
I have this on PS3 and lived playing it, but don't have the time if like to sit down and play it. Is it worth getting the iOS version as well? I feel like I'd play it more.

Just curious what's different. Is there multiplayer?
10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
I'm pretty casual when it comes to strategy games (never finished the original, more "hardcore" X-com) and this is just fine for me.

They have simplified and streamlined a lot of the base management aspects from the original (to the point where many "hardcore" fans complained, lol) so you can concentrate more on killing aliens. Even the tactical combat has been streamlined a bit as well, but it is still deep and fun, as well as a lot more visually appealing. It's just not overwhelming to those that don't want to spend hours and hours to figure everything out.
Thank you for the information. That description of the guy that doesn't have hours and hours to spend learning a new game fits me perfectly. If you're able to compare the strategy aspects to something like Great Little War Game, would you say it's more in depth? A lot more?

GC ID: Jibba Junior.
10-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Thank you for the information. That description of the guy that doesn't have hours and hours to spend learning a new game fits me perfectly. If you're able to compare the strategy aspects to something like Great Little War Game, would you say it's more in depth? A lot more?
A bit more deep than GLWG. but not really any harder to get into, imo.