★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Keywords - What is the proper way to type them

08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Keywords - What is the proper way to type them

As usual Apple implemented something not fully working. It seems that typing in keywords the wrong way will have serious implication to the searchability of the app. What is the proper way of typing them in?

1. keyword, keyword, keyword <---- with spaces

OR

2. keyword,keyword,keyword <--- without spaces

Thanks!
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
[UPDATE] Our lead dev says he thinks he entered it in as in your example 1. above.

But be forewarned, from our experience, it appears you can't re-edit your keywords once they're entered.

The edit field becomes unmodifiable once you enter your keywords. Grrrrrr.

You supposedly will be unable to edit them until your next update.

Last edited by 2n Productions; 08-02-2009 at 08:46 PM.

08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I used no spaces, and all my keywords are working. Mind, it took a good twelve hours for it to kick in. If you think about it, no spaces makes more sense, as they're being read into a database. Humans will never see them, so no need for the spaces.
08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Yikes

but it makes sense to put in spaces, cause humans are the one typing it.

i used spaces by the way.
08-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
08-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Spaces as well. I can't believe Apple engineers would be so dense as to not account for whitespace (even if their web stuff has always been kind of shoddy).

Creator of Astral, a New & Noteworthy and Top 100 Arcade and Action game!
Astral Website | facebook.com/astral | TA thread.
08-03-2009, 01:03 AM
i used spaces with no commas, and it appeared to work just fine.

If i search for "redneck" "chicken" I hit RKC just fine.
So I'm assuming the more common terms like arcade, minigame, etc. work fine as well.

Hopefully this name will update soon as I requested a name change. I'm no longer affiliated with Atommo games.
08-03-2009, 01:40 AM
apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by emitcollect View Post
Spaces as well. I can't believe Apple engineers would be so dense as to not account for whitespace (even if their web stuff has always been kind of shoddy).
- rate on delete
- ranking algorithm
etc.

"with Apple, anything can happen (not in a good way)"
08-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalcadegames View Post
- rate on delete
- ranking algorithm
etc.

"with Apple, anything can happen (not in a good way)"
Oh yeah, I definitely know they've made some terrible decisions here, but those are more interaction design / information architecture problems. Any programmer worth their salt should know to do whitespace stripping before updating a database with human-entered keywords. I have more confidence that they can get that much right, even if the App Store is a mess.

Creator of Astral, a New & Noteworthy and Top 100 Arcade and Action game!
Astral Website | facebook.com/astral | TA thread.
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I just double checked our entries. I put in spaces. In the App Store, I tried my search. Some of the keywords work for the Search iTunes Store field in the upper left corner. If I Power Search in the App Store, then it finds our app based on all our keywords. So it seems the leading spaces don't matter. I did use multiple word keywords...

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!