Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
saansilt saansilt is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,914
Default Does filesize matter?

I am making this so we can discuss if a game's file size really does matter.
Since that is where the ooga jump discussion is heading.
My example: Star Battalion- 276mb. 3D gameplay, full campaign with co op and a real nice backstory.
The fact that GL did so much with that little really makes it my favorite gameloft game.

So does a game's filesize matter in terms of the quality in it? Is there such a thing as "too big for a jumper"?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM
cloudpuff cloudpuff is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 2,721
Default

If a game is a big file size then I expect it show it , be that in graphics or tons of missions. Big game files put me off but if the game looked good enough or it was a title I really wanted I'd still install.

Reaper really impressed me, it's under30mb installed and has wonderful graphics and so much to do.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
davecazz's Avatar
davecazz davecazz is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Posts: 1,450
Default

I responded on the ooga jump thread, but just wanted to say that Ooga Jump is 100% retina graphics that are not compressed. for better or worse, this means that everything is 4 times the size it would normally be.

I'm not trying to defend ourselves but just wanted to include more info as to why the game is this large. I don't think I realized that size was such an issue with people, I tend to have a lot of memory on my devices. I get pissed when a game is 2GB and I can't install it despite having 3GB available but I never thought that a 300 MB game would get as much pushback as it is. In hind sight I would have probably just used compressed graphics for everything despite it looking janky for 2d games. I also didn't think that the type of game would dictate the expectation for the size. Since this is a jumper, everyone would just expect that it's super tiny.

With 3d games you have the benefit that most of the objects are rendered so the actual models and textures can be low res but the 3d rendering makes them look good on retina.

I think we pushed toward retina because the original pocket god was so low res. We had people complaining about it not being retina so we went a little overboard with making everything look spectacular on a retina iPad screen.

We are planning on fixing this but I'm curious what you guys think. Is retina important to you? What do you think of compression artifacts in a game? and would you rather we allow you to download the retina level graphics after you download the game? or just make everything low res and be done with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
cloudpuff cloudpuff is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 2,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post

We are planning on fixing this but I'm curious what you guys think. Is retina important to you? What do you think of compression artifacts in a game? and would you rather we allow you to download the retina level graphics after you download the game? or just make everything low res and be done with it.
If a game is not retina it wouldn't affect my choice to purchase, but I know a lot of people who get their knickers in a twist over it. The option to lown load retina levels afterwards seems like a way to keep everyone happy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM
awp69 awp69 is offline
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
If a game is not retina it wouldn't affect my choice to purchase, but I know a lot of people who get their knickers in a twist over it. The option to lown load retina levels afterwards seems like a way to keep everyone happy.
I agree. Especially for casual games.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM
psj3809 psj3809 is online now
Moderator
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,692
Default

Not bothered by retina. Size is important to me. I come from a generation where graphics are quite basic. It's all about gameplay. Give me great gameplay over huge filesizes with pretty graphics etc

If apple released 128 gig iPods/phones it wouldn't matter so much
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM
davecazz's Avatar
davecazz davecazz is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Not bothered by retina. Size is important to me. I come from a generation where graphics are quite basic. It's all about gameplay. Give me great gameplay over huge filesizes with pretty graphics etc

If apple released 128 gig iPods/phones it wouldn't matter so much
yea, I'm waiting to get the 128gb ipad. my 64gb always runs out of space. I hate when I have to delete that one app that I dont play a lot but I still want to keep around for a rainy day in order to make space.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Connector Connector is offline
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Default

Does size matter?

In ios, smaller is better.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 PM
cloudpuff cloudpuff is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 2,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
yea, I'm waiting to get the 128gb ipad. my 64gb always runs out of space. I hate when I have to delete that one app that I dont play a lot but I still want to keep around for a rainy day in order to make space.
Imagine how often I'm deleting apps on my 16 gb? Which is really only 13 because of the pre installed files.I knew nothing of Apple devices when I purchased mine and thought I'd be using mainly for browsing the web, how naive I was!

I'm thankful that I can keep everything in my iTunes library on my laptop so there is always the option I can reinstall, it's just a pain in the butt losing my progress and having to start again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM
dariusjr98 dariusjr98 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A state in a country in a continent in the world
Posts: 950
Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
Imagine how often I'm deleting apps on my 16 gb? Which is really only 13 because of the pre installed files.I knew nothing of Apple devices when I purchased mine and thought I'd be using mainly for browsing the web, how naive I was!

I'm thankful that I can keep everything in my iTunes library on my laptop so there is always the option I can reinstall, it's just a pain in the butt losing my progress and having to start again.
I definitely feel you sister. You think managing space on a 16GB is hard? I have an 8GB!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent