★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tap Quest is out and it's Free

08-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Tap Quest is out and it's Free

It's a fun little game. I'm not the developer so I don't know about its updates and such. Anyway, you guys should get it from the app store.

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
08-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jbmoney13
Thanks, i'll have to check it out.

Link: www.itunes.com/apps/tapquest

Just incase anyone else wants to check it out.

Respectfully,
JB / Apptastic Apps (Facebook Page)
Developing Quality Games: Check Out: Mummy's Revenge - Mummy's Revenge Lite (Free)
http://www.apptasticapps.com Twitter: - twitter.com/apptastic

Last edited by jbmoney13; 08-03-2009 at 01:18 AM.

08-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Link for similarly lazy people (you mean I have to search in iTunes for it? lame!)

I'll take a look. Worst case scenario: it doesn't get to stay.
08-03-2009, 02:14 AM
There's an odd fun factor in it's simplicity. I could gripe all night long about its under-developed graphical facade, imperfect tap control scheme, or lack of real depth and the excessive polish we've all become so used to (and spoiled by) from big house developers... But as I said there's actually a real funness to the simplicity at work.

This is a fairly basic idea, a lot of the game is thought out for you (no need to over customize any one character/party member). You tap, the party moves, auto picks up target items or auto attacks enemies, and you move along to the next screen where you attempt to find keys to unlock the path even further until you reach the ever elusive "crystal" to finish the level.

Of course I'd like to see some more diversity in enemies, more item types, but too much depth might just over-complicate things. To download more missions, you may see there's a message "new levels every Monday" or sme such. What would be awesome, is a level creator. This has worked in-game with a game like hydro tilt, and web based like labyrinth or wooden maze... Now THAT would make me want to play this all over the place.

With a content creator, you could certainly do some awesome things with a seemingly simple tileset and engine. I can just imagine how much fun user-created downloadable content would be. If it's at all possible, I hope to see it become part of this game. Then "this has potential" would become "downright fun".

Ahh, long live the dream for an RPG maker in a mobile format. It's a shallow, terribly planned, never going to happen dream... But a dream none the less.

Last edited by sushibox; 08-03-2009 at 02:22 AM.
08-03-2009, 02:25 AM
This is definitely awesome. Super fast pace, retro feel, and free? This is the best thing since they invented sex.
08-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedhunter View Post
This is definitely awesome. Super fast pace, retro feel, and free? This is the best thing since they invented sex.
then you must be a virgin

i'll pick this game up when my ipod is restored...so many saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
No. But there's a good chance she'll put her hand down there. Like we were holding hands in the movie, she moved our hands on my lap and I was just thinking...oh god please not now please stay soft
Reminding for when I get new iPod: Epic Win
08-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Strangely, I f you compare this to Dungeon slayer (which is a more polished game in appearance) Tap Quest feels way more fun, quick paced and diverse. Don't be fooled by the graphics, it is really a nice game for a quick hack and slash rpg fix.
08-03-2009, 05:21 AM
wow!

i never expect too much from yer average game on the appstore, even less when the app is free, so this is a mighty pleasant suprise.

the gfx are not full on modern, granted, but they are crisp smooth and colourful. in case you havnt gathered from the previous posts, you control your party of 3 in a system much like an RTS game (command & conqueror) across multiple flip screen levels finding keys, bombs and gems. enemies are simply touch to kill.

only done the first 2 levels, but what really impressed me was the free downloadable content and extra levels, 3 of which were available today! this will add significantly to the gametime and is the first ive seen such a feature available in a free app.

i could go on but its really a no brainer, its free! if you like retro and if you like RPGs then you'll love this. this is the spirit of the appstore i love and reminds me in many ways of the huge metropolis that was the amiga's aminet, good quality little games for nothing. i applaud this dev

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
08-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
agree. Great stuff, it is simple, yet funny game and if more quests will be coming from time to time it will be great. One thing I am missing - maybe it would be cool to have som basic sounds and short music loops for retro atmosphere

Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68
08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushibox View Post
You tap, the party moves,
or you tap, and the hero moves only as far as one of the other party members, who happens to be totally blocking the way by standing directly in your way in a one-character wide path.

this happened twice in the first 5 minutes

tap tap deleted