★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: It is a truth universally acknowledged that Stride & Prejudice is an unusual endless runner where the platforms are made from the text of Pride and Prejudice.

> A clever literary twist Pocket Gamer
> Its a really clever concept TouchArcade
> I love the fact that this exists Stuart Dredge, The Guardian
> 5 Stars GameInformer
> "A fun little mobile game" Macworld
> Society is finally getting the endless-running adaptation of a literary classic that it deserves. VentureBeat

Features
* Run as a pixel-art rendition of Lizzy Bennet, fashionably dressed in high heels and an empire-waisted-dress!

* Marathon mode challenges you to see how far you can go when always starting from the beginning.

* Reader mode is for picking up where you fell off so you can read the entire book.

* Customize the speed of scrolling and the color scheme for maximum eye comfort, including white text on black, black text on white, or sepia. Just like your Kindle app!

* Its universal for all your devices, including iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Stride & Prejudice is brought to you by No Crusts Interactive, where we create family-friendly games that blend progressive educational philosophies with innovative game mechanics. You can reach us at info@NoCrusts.com or @NoCrusts on Twitter.

This game does not use in-app purchases or third-party advertising.
11-01-2013, 07:06 AM
So anyone played this or do I have to TOFTT ?

Edit: nvm downloading now, impressions pretty soon.

Last edited by oooooomonkey; 11-01-2013 at 07:08 AM.

11-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Well it's exactly what it says it is an endless runner where your running along the words of the book all it's made me think so far is "jeez this book seems pretty boring" I know know why I haven't read or seen pride and prejudice.
I guess it's an ok runner one tap and you jump a little and hold for a bigger jump the longer you hold. That pretty much explains the whole game.
There's some options for scroll speed, colour of the screen, and it tells you how far % you are through the book which is pretty cool I guess. Not sure who's going to actually read a book this way but it's a unique idea that I've not seen before.
I'll pretty much throw 69p at anything that looks or sounds weird, I can't really recommend this though unless like me your always on the look out for something crazy and different as there's lots of better runners out there.
Wonder when well see a temple run style book reading game? I can see it now, it'll be just like the starwars intro
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
While this really is deceptively brilliant as a game concept, and Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel for good reason, I can't help but think that choosing that particular book was indeed an odd choice when aiming at the iOS gaming crowd, most of whom are more likely to be found reading a Call of Duty manual or McDonald's employee handbook.

As for the game itself, it isn't a runner with a book attached, but rather a book with a simple runner mechanic attached. I can see this working to draw in some who would otherwise not bother reading a normal book, although it likely won't appeal to the oxymoronic "hardcore runner fan"; people certainly shouldn't be expecting Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride or Banana Kong here. I would really like to see the developers give a range of other books this treatment; hopefully the game engine allows for this, and the core mechanic hasn't been hardcoded for this one story.

Can't hug every cat.
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
^^ that would be cool! imagine if we could use ebooks on our device already! I could be reading David hasslehofs autobiography while playing a runner
just kidding I don't own the ebook I've got the hardback
11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
While this really is deceptively brilliant as a game concept...

As for the game itself, it isn't a runner with a book attached, but rather a book with a simple runner mechanic attached.
I would really like to see the developers give a range of other books this treatment; hopefully the game engine allows for this, and the core mechanic hasn't been hardcoded for this one story.
I thought mostly the same thing last night when I saw the TA mention...

I couldn't help thinking that this could be the beginning of a much longer conversation with regard to gaming and learning/literacy, but I can't envision the iterations between this point and the glorious announcement of the "perfect blend..."

Sure, P&P is a classic for a reason, but as a runner? Eh... I'm not even coming up with choices I would find more appropriate, simply because the general mechanics of reading (deliberate) are hard to match with endless runners (twitch)...

Type:Rider clearly shows yet again the possibility for meaningful "mash-ups" between the literary and gaming worlds, but I'm not quite sure how the runner aesthetic most effectively meshes with the written word...

Exciting to see people taking the chance, anyway.

DBC

I could never give up.
11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I finally got a chance to pick this up. I loved the idea since stumbling upon it on the frontpage. I thought it was unfortunate that half of the article about this was about "kids these days" who don't read anymore. This is just a fun and silly and interesting concept for a game and I find that Pride & Prejudice fits perfectly.

Sadly, it keeps crashing on my iPad 1, so I can't recommend it for older devices. I had hoped that since it is such a simple game and many endless runners play just fine on my device this would not be a problem, but, alas. I can play for a few sentences and then it crashes. It crashes in a strange way, the character keeps running, but the screen stops scrolling and the game doesn't recognize my input. I also think this is probably one of those games were a retina display really really helps.
11-09-2013, 11:11 AM
This works just fine on my iPad2 and it reminds me of those early Winnie The Pooh films Disney made where the characters climb over the words in the book as the story's being narrated.

It's definitely more of a novel (no pun intended) idea than a way to seriously encourage reading, but it's different enough & playable enough to make me want to keep this on my iPad. I hope the developers produce more games in the same vein, maybe where there's more than just jumping the gaps involved.
11-16-2013, 05:57 AM
It turns out that there was just a bug that prevented the game to work on my iPad 1, and now there's an update out that fixes that and it runs perfectly fine. I agree that it's mostly a novel idea, but I got more fun out of it than I would have gotten out of a candybar for the same price, and it's the kind of thing that's fun to show to non-gamers to show the creative things people are making for the iPad.
01-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
I can't help but think that choosing that particular book was indeed an odd choice when aiming at the iOS gaming crowd, most of whom are more likely to be found reading a Call of Duty manual or McDonald's employee handbook.
Ouch man! If it is any consolation, I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged.