★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Proto - New 2D Arcade style action game 0.99$

08-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Proto - New 2D Arcade style action game 0.99$

Quote:
***New release from critically acclaimed independent game designer Tobias Batton!!!***

San Francisco needs your help! It's the year 2081 and the city has been invaded by aliens. The aliens need San Francisco's sourdough bread to power their spaceships!

You play as "Proto", a military combat prototype and San Francisco's only hope for protection from the evil sourdough bread aliens. Do you have the skills to lead Proto to victory over the Aliens?

Features:
1. Upgradable actions and attacks!
2. Beautifully animated 2D side scrolling action.
3. 11 action packed level of robot and alien mayhem.
4. Unique and high quality sound.
5. Humorous and quirky story line.
6. Strategic attacks and combat!

Thanks and Credits: This is a Tobias Batton production with special thanks to Apalon.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-05-2009 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Link to lite added
08-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Very Basic Gameplay

Proto

I couldn't resist...

The screenshots really got me. I like Zombieville a lot and think it's the best in this genre for the iPhone. I tried others like "Mummy" and "Sparta" but at least for me "Zombieville" offers the most polished and fun gameplay.

It's very fluent, the upgrades get better and better, I like the comic-appeal and the topic... (Well, it's Zombies, right?)

So, "Proto"...

Well, I like the Graphics... The robot is kinda cute, the aliens mean-looking and the gore is quite intense. But for me that's it.

Like in all other games similar to Zombieville you run left or right, aliens come in mainly from the right and you slash them with your laser-sword-like weapon.

First level if very easy. After that the aliens start spitting some green goo that takes on your health - and after that even more aggreassive green aliens appear taht spit eben faster.

You can upgrade after each level. You don't have to pay for it, you can just upgrade one step. Take a laser that stuns the enemies for a few seconds (it takes ages to activate though - didn't really use it), shield will repair your health, and the ball will make you transform into - a ball that just rolls through the enemies (with taking or giving damage). And of course you can upgrade "damage".

After having played like 4 or five levels I have to say it has a polished feel, but the controls lag from time to time, the weapons and the upgrade-system are not really interesting, there is nothing to explore (like the houses in Zombieville or the tombs in "Mummy...").

The graphics and anmiation are really well done so it feels like a missed opportunity to deliver a real competitor for the mentioned games. I really hope that the dev works on the gameplay which right now bored me quite fast. Please! Take a closer look at "Zombieville"

This could be a gem after all...

Rating: 3/5 - for now. After all it's only 0.79...

08-03-2009, 04:07 AM
this one looks good i got it,its only 99c.
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I am the developer for this, and we worked hard on it. There are of course updates on the way, with more upgrades, enemies and backgrounds etc.

The delay before the phazer attack is intentional, otherwise you could just spam stun enemies and it would be too simple.

@NathanQuest

Great feedback, we will listen to it for the update
08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by highborn View Post
Thanks everyone. I am the developer for this, and we worked hard on it. There are of course updates on the way, with more upgrades, enemies and backgrounds etc.

The delay before the phazer attack is intentional, otherwise you could just spam stun enemies and it would be too simple.

@NathanQuest

got it and looking forward to the updates especially the ugrades in particular hopefully someone takes my suggestion of liquid nitrogen(freeze gun) such as in rachet n clank(love the weapons and the way they upgrade) lol

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Gem... :-)

Quote:

@NathanQuest

Thanks for listening :-)

I played a bit more and still think it needs more polish... There should be a way to actually see that I upgraded my weapons for example. The weapon should show the upgrade somehow.

Also I don't get the ball. After all, it just rolls - so it might be there to escape hordes of enemies but ... maybe if it would do some damage, it would make more sense to me...

The flying saucers are there in the background. Do something with them :-) Maybe let them start and have the robot get a weapon to get them down to crash them... and collect goodies once it crashed.

I might not be far enough, but i haven't seen any other aliens yet... Always the same one in different color. Give me a flying brain or some mean meatballs :-)

Also a weapon to shoot would be nice - and the stun laser might take it's time to shoot. But when the aliens come in and I try to freeze them they actually get to me before it really works... that just doesn't feel right ;-)

As I said... I think it has potential - and I really hope for some updates :-)

08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanQuest View Post
Thanks for listening :-)

I played a bit more and still think it needs more polish... There should be a way to actually see that I upgraded my weapons for example. The weapon should show the upgrade somehow.

Also I don't get the ball. After all, it just rolls - so it might be there to escape hordes of enemies but ... maybe if it would do some damage, it would make more sense to me...

The flying saucers are there in the background. Do something with them :-) Maybe let them start and have the robot get a weapon to get them down to crash them... and collect goodies once it crashed.

I might not be far enough, but i haven't seen any other aliens yet... Always the same one in different color. Give me a flying brain or some mean meatballs :-)

Also a weapon to shoot would be nice - and the stun laser might take it's time to shoot. But when the aliens come in and I try to freeze them they actually get to me before it really works... that just doesn't feel right ;-)

As I said... I think it has potential - and I really hope for some updates :-)

The purpose of the ball is that its your block, you dont take damage while in the ball.

I have uploaded a bug fix update already for a freezing issue I found, and I like all the ideas I am hearing for the proper update which I will start working on over the weekend. Thanks!
08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Quote:
The purpose of the ball is that its your block, you dont take damage while in the ball.

I have uploaded a bug fix update already for a freezing issue I found, and I like all the ideas I am hearing for the proper update which I will start working on over the weekend. Thanks!
I am almost done with the game and im very pleased with the game

Some suggetion include
hopefully adding some ranged weapons in the mix
keeping the ball as it is as you can easilly use it to run away
Fix the bug which you are already doing(it had my photon lazer active for a level).
Mainly add some objectives to keep a purpose to the game or add more weapons with upgrades because slashing enimies with the smae weapon get very stale.

edit: i forgot the left and right buttons should be either bigger or more responsive as they did not always register when pressing
thanks
will write a full review later on itunes

08-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Lite version is out now. Gotta try it out now
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
never mind...update out
What's new
Bug Fixes:

1. Fixed issue with freezing

2. Fixed issue with crashing

Last edited by skyye06; 09-14-2009 at 11:47 PM.