Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Debonair Facial Hair - (by Hunted Cow Studios Ltd.)

Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Haha, it's finally here.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Lol, this looks kinda fun.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

I have no idea if it's going to be fun or not but it is most definitely original.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton1 View Post
I have no idea if it's going to be fun or not but it is most definitely original.
It looks fun for 10 year old kids.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Would love to hear your thoughts on the game
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

*Sigh*

Dev, I know this sucks to read as the first user review here, but I think this game is lacking in many crucial areas.

First, let's start with the mechanics of the gameplay. Following dotted lines with swipes on the screen to simulate comb strokes, while tapping and swiping away enemies.
First and foremost, this is simply not fun to do. You are constantly accidentally bringing up Control Centre or Notification Centre with your swipes. This happened to me during every round at least once. Whenever a Game Centre achievement is unlocked, a banner drops down on the screen, breaking your concentration and physically getting in the way of your finger from swiping along the dotted lines. Sometimes my swipes wouldn't register at all and I'd be swiping like a madman only to watch the dots on the screen turn red.
These little (ok, not so little) hiccups wouldn't be so frustrating if the game didn't demand a 100% perfect run in order to achieve 3 stars. Yep, you heard right. Do something good, like 100 perfect combos? You're rewarded with a sash that drops down and gets in your way, very potentially breaking your perfect run, and there go your 3 stars. Congratulations, start the level over!

Next, is the lack of direction....rhyme, reason, anything in the game. The tutorial is dismally basic. No prefacing story or intro, just here's what you do: Swipe along the lines, tap the enemies. Got it? Ok, GO! Again, this would be a bit more forgivable if indeed there was nothing more to the game than that. Instead, what happens? I'm playing a game, swiping a line, tapping an enemy, swiping another line, swiping away an anchor, HERE COMES A HUGE ANIMAL, swipe away a....wait, what? Oh yeah, that huge creature that just sailed across the screen. I have no idea what to do with him. Swipe him away? Tap him to death? Nope. Hopefully the answer is "wait for him to leave and get out of the way of my swipe", because if that's not what you do, I'm doing it wrong.

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be any variation to the game at all. Every level could be the same guy sitting there, and no matter the facial hair or level in the game, you'll be doing the exact same thing....And all the while, you're never entirely sure what's needed to meet your objective. I had rounds where I missed swipe prompts and scored 100%, and times when I thought I had a great round and I only scored 80%.

I'm sorry, this one falls flat. The graphics are cute and that's what won my money, but that's about the only thing this one's got going for it.

Last edited by Quazonk; 11-07-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazonk View Post
*Sigh*

Dev, I know this sucks to read as the first user review here, but I think this game is lacking in many crucial areas.

First, let's start with the mechanics of the gameplay. Following dotted lines with swipes on the screen to simulate comb strokes, while tapping and swiping away enemies.
First and foremost, this is simply not fun to do. You are constantly accidentally bringing up Control Centre or Notification Centre with your swipes. This happened to me during every round at least once. Whenever a Game Centre achievement is unlocked, a banner drops down on the screen, breaking your concentration and physically getting in the way of your finger from swiping along the dotted lines. Sometimes my swipes wouldn't register at all and I'd be swiping like a madman only to watch the dots on the screen turn red.
These little (ok, not so little) hiccups wouldn't be so frustrating if the game didn't demand a 100% perfect run in order to achieve 3 stars. Yep, you heard right. Do something good, like 100 perfect combos? You're rewarded with a sash that drops down and gets in your way, very potentially breaking your perfect run, and there go your 3 stars. Congratulations, start the level over!

Next, is the lack of direction....rhyme, reason, anything in the game. The tutorial is dismally basic. No prefacing story or intro, just here's what you do: Swipe along the lines, tap the enemies. Got it? Ok, GO! Again, this would be a big more forgivable if indeed there was nothing more to the game than that. Instead, what happens? I'm playing a game, swiping a line, tapping an enemy, swiping another line, swiping away an anchor, HERE COMES A HUGE ANIMAL, swipe away a....wait, what? Oh yeah, that huge creature that just sailed across the screen. I have no idea what to do with him. Swipe him away? Tap him to death? Nope. Hopefully the answer is "wait for him to leave and get out of the way of my swipe", because if that's not what you do, I'm doing it wrong.

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be any variation to the game at all. Every level could be the same guy sitting there, and no matter the facial hair or level in the game, you'll be doing the exact same thing....And all the while, you're never entirely sure what's needed to meet your objective. I had rounds where I missed swipe prompts and scored 100%, and times when I thought I had a great round and I only scored 80%.

I'm sorry, this one falls flat. The graphics are cute and that's what won my money, but that's about the only thing this one'a got going for it.
Thank you for this honest opinion.
Just saved me a buck.

I'm not sure why I am so interested in this, but please update me if the game gets better.
Ill gladly pick it up in the future if it does.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Hi Quazonk,

Thanks for all the feedback - appreciate it

Quote:
Whenever a Game Centre achievement is unlocked, a banner drops down on the screen, breaking your concentration and physically getting in the way of your finger from swiping along the dotted lines.
In the next update we're going to look at triggering the achievements at the end of the the game session rather than during it to avoid this issue.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that huge creature that just sailed across the screen. I have no idea what to do with him. Swipe him away? Tap him to death? Nope. Hopefully the answer is "wait for him to leave and get out of the way of my swipe", because if that's not what you do, I'm doing it wrong.
You tap all the ruffians to get them out of the way (the large animals speed up when you tap them). If you tap the animal and wait until it moves there should still be time to complete the current gesture. We'll take a look and see if the tutorial can be improved to make this clearer

Quote:
And all the while, you're never entirely sure what's needed to meet your objective. I had rounds where I missed swipe prompts and scored 100%, and times when I thought I had a great round and I only scored 80%.
At the right-hand side of the screen there is a bar that fills up as you do more gestures successfully which indicates your percentage for the level. Note that ruffians like bees have a negative impact on this if you don't get rid of them quickly.

Last edited by Hunted Cow Studios; 11-07-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Debonair Facial Hair's now in the top 10 kids games chart on the iPhone in the UK!

Note the game's also available on Android on the Google Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nairfacialhair

Big thanks to everyone who's bought the game and we hope you are enjoying it

Last edited by Hunted Cow Studios; 11-07-2013 at 05:19 PM..