Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Nintendo explains why Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon won't be on smartphones any time soon

Sorry if this is old news/already posted. I didn't see anything in the search.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/p5fw75b

Speaking to CNET, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that Nintendo keeps its franchises exclusive to its own hardware for strictly business reasons.

"That's why we're so focused on having content exclusive to our platform," Fils-Aime said.

"When the consumer wants to play Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, they [sic] have to purchase our hardware to do so. And that preserves our overall financial model."

Well, at least we have an official answer. They just want to keep their franchises on their platforms. I'm sure most of us already guessed this but it's good to see an official statement verifying it.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Think in the year 2013 its still ridiculous.

This is why Nintendo are losing loads of money, they dont make the same profit they used to. They could release an iOS exclusive and make tons of money with it but its all quite petty with the 'no its ours...' attititude

I mean so many people use emulators to play their games anyway, just release a compilation app with some old classics and it'll sell by the bucketload

Not saying release every game on other platforms but putting a Mario compilation on iOS wont harm their hardware sales. Their financial model would be even better if they put classic games on other devices. I dont own any Nintendo product, but i'm happy playing old 80's Nintendo classics on my PC or iphone via emulators. I want to buy the 'legal' game for my device but i cant. I'm not paying for a Nintendo DS just to play a couple of games

Last edited by psj3809; 11-06-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Maybe Nintendo would know better than me, but I think we've left the age of buying a Nintendo just to play Mario Brothers or Donkey Kong. I was exited about those franchises when I got the first issue of Nintendo Power in the 1980s. I think this is a indication that Nintendo has failed to keep things fresh or evolve as a company and over-values it's intellectual properties. I'm not concerned about those brands coming to iOS because I'm not concerned about those brands for anything other than nostalgia. Maybe if there was some compelling new engine or design twist I'd be curious. I'm not interested in the Legend of Zelda games but there's so many action RPGs out there and it's been cloned to death.

The worst thing about this news is that it's to me an indication of a legendary brand slowly dying (like Atari) by failing to expand/diversify/invest it's portfolio over the past 30 years.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM

People are so weird about Nintendo. They made enough money off the Wii and DS to survive for decades, but everyone thinks they're dying now. They are not Sega. They are not Atari. We will not see their games on iOS. Ever. They don't need to change their business model. They will continue to survive and eventually strike gold again like the Wii and DS.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda33 View Post
People are so weird about Nintendo. They made enough money off the Wii and DS to survive for decades, but everyone thinks they're dying now. They are not Sega. They are not Atari. We will not see their games on iOS. Ever. They don't need to change their business model. They will continue to survive and eventually strike gold again like the Wii and DS.
Wouldnt say people are weird. Facts are facts. Nintendo were losing a ton of money, the latest devices werent blowing people away either. Their games are getting very very samey. Its a huge Xmas period for them to see if they've still got that old magic or not

I want Nintendo to survive for years and years. Just think its a stupid decision not to package up old Nintendo games for other consoles. People wont buy a Nintendo product just to play the SNES version of Mario Kart. They sell Wii's etc for the latest games. Nintendo wont lose out with any hardware sales, but they'll make tons of money from it.

Many of the experts out there think Nintendo needs to change their business model in order to survive. Its not just a couple of iOS fanboys saying it

I hope they do strike gold as i love old classic companies like Atari and Nintendo etc. Its sad for me to see the name Commodore being bought by a PC company who make gaming PC's. Want these old classic names/companies to carry on for years

Had a quick google of the Nintendo share price...

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=N...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

So worth 300 in Jan 09. Now worth 82 4 years later.

And 'we're the weird ones' eh ?

Their business model hasnt worked for the last 4 years, time for a change. Any other company would have made major changes to the current climate. The next few months will be huge for Nintendo, as if their latest devices dont sell well then its looking very bad

Last edited by psj3809; 11-06-2013 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraf View Post
"That's why we're so focused on having content exclusive to our platform," Fils-Aime said.

"When the consumer wants to play Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, they [sic] have to purchase our hardware to do so. And that preserves our overall financial model."
That's such a broken business model. It's like admitting that this is their only selling point, and that people aren't buying their stuff because of the hardware or their technology like 3D or innovative ideas like the Wii controller or even the Wii U controller. No, it's just their exclusive games, and that's going to hurt them in the near future.

One of the main reasons that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon still have their popularity is for nostalgic reasons; people remember playing them in their childhood and growing up with these characters. However, if you show a 10 year old child today Mario and Zelda characters, I bet they wouldn't be that interested. So what will happen when these characters die off and get forgotten by history?

If Nintendo really believes in its exclusive games strategy, they must bring on some new characters and create what's relevant for children today.

If on the other hand, Nintendo believes in its own characters, why don't they just make them available to everyone, and make a huge chunk of money out of them?

The idea of people buying a console just for a certain exclusive game has faded away, which is the main reason why Wii U is admittedly a failure, and the 3DS is being shadowed by iPhones and iPads.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeyad View Post
If Nintendo really believes in its exclusive games strategy, they must bring on some new characters and create what's relevant for children today.

If on the other hand, Nintendo believes in its own characters, why don't they just make them available to everyone, and make a huge chunk of money out of them?

The idea of people buying a console just for a certain exclusive game has faded away, which is the main reason why Wii U is admittedly a failure, and the 3DS is being shadowed by iPhones and iPads.
I guess Nintendo figures that the risks of sticking with what they have always done are less than the risks of trying something new and possibly failing. I don't see why the two are mutually exclusive though. Like you point out here - Nintendo is going to need new characters to create what's relevant today on their new hardware.

But why not capitalize on the nostalgia of the classics? No one is going to buy a new Nintendo console to play the original Zelda - but I'm sure lots of people would buy a mobile port of the original Zelda at a premium price point.

I just don't see how releasing some of the classics on mobile is going to cannibalize their hardware sales.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I agree with everyone one here. On the other hand I'm 42 years old and I bought a limited edition Zelda 3DS because i love the game OOT.

I haven't got kids myself but my nephews and nieces and godkids all love Nintendo and place a higher value on their games than the vast majority of trashy apps they find on android or IOS.

They should bring their back catalogue to IOS though in my opinion. Apple should make them an offer they can't refuse for IOS exclusivity. Then Apple and Nintendo should work together to make a Nintendo Gaming iPhone !

Lol. Not likely I guess ...
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyRookGames View Post
But why not capitalize on the nostalgia of the classics? No one is going to buy a new Nintendo console to play the original Zelda - but I'm sure lots of people would buy a mobile port of the original Zelda at a premium price point.

I just don't see how releasing some of the classics on mobile is going to cannibalize their hardware sales.
Great point. Totally agree with this
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Must...not...make comments about thread...