Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
iPad mini

Default Platform game: Nebula Retro (Universal)

Dear All

I'm pleased to announce the release of Nebula Retro, my first iOS game.

Nebula was inspired by the platform games I used to enjoy as a child, in particular by Manic Miner, a very popular game for ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 released in the early 1980s. If you look closely at the first level in Nebula, you will see a slight similarity to level one of Manic Miner: "Central Cavern"!

Nebula Retro also has full level editor so you can edit a level as soon as you've completed it. You can also play the level while editing so you can test jumps etc "online".

There is also an "8-bit" mode (options > graphics) where you can select Atari 2600 style graphics (see one of the screenshots)

I look forward to your feedback! Here are some promo codes:

H4LRK9ENMFRL
KTEWNXKRYTT7
Y4MAPA7YFLE6
AWRX6HJXJKXJ
76TPNKJEXFRR

Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Used Y4MAPA7YFLE6

Now i'm a huge fan of the 80's and 8 bit Spectrum games so after reading your description i'm quite excited, BUT those controls look bad but i'll try it anyway....

The graphics are okay-ish. Would have preferred no background (specially when its moving slightly). Its a bit confusing with the icons on screen, i dont know why i need to go back/forth between the levels (normally have a level select screen). Also i think you can toggle between editing the screen or playing it. I mention it later but i think you're cramming too much into it.

But the controls are horrible. I find it quite frustrating when there are 100000's of platformers on the app store yet people dont seem to do any research/homework. If you simply had a jump button on the far right (like 99.9% of platformers) the game might be quite good.

But as it stands the controls totally ruin it totally. On the second screen theres a large gap, i thought pressing right and 'jump right' would work but pressing both buttons together doesnt work. Having to press 'jump right' then right afterwards just is wrong.

I think you're also trying to cram too much into it. Forget the level editor or different graphic modes (i do prefer the 8 bit version), most platform games on the app store dont have any of these

I dont mind simple graphics (like the 8 bit style) as to me its all about the gameplay. But the gameplay is poor on this (sorry). I love Manic Miner (have it on my iphone) but cant see any similarity with this. I hate to be negative about a game but this is the type of game where you should do your homework (check out other platformers, look at Commander Pixman etc) and also get forum members to beta test this for valuable feedback. The controls are awful

You could have the makings of a decent platform game but controls are so important. Forget all the other side of it (edit your own levels etc), just concentrate on the gameplay first

Last edited by psj3809; 11-06-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM
iPad mini

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate plain talking! The thing about having the 4 controls is you can adjust how far you jump. If you jump right then press right, you go further. You can also jump right then press left to change direction while jumping. If you can get used to it, it gives you lots more control than with a simple three button setup.

(also Beyond Ynth had a 4 button setup and people seemed to like it well enough... ;-)

I had hoped the tutorials would explain the controls but perhaps I need to offer alternative controls or more explanation.

You can also change the control settings from options > controls. Hopefully on your iPod they should turn up on the left of the screen. On iPad they should appear split by default.

"i dont know why i need to go back/forth between the levels (normally have a level select screen)"

There is also a level select screen. Options > manage levels. From there you can also reset levels or delete levels you have created.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Took KTEWNXKRYTT7, thanks.

Huge platformer fan here and I agree with psj; the controls make the game unplayable as is. Especially in portrait mode. I cannot even pass the third tutorial level, because I can't figure out how to use the jump mechanic correctly. The most intuitive way would've been moving right and simultaneously pressing the jump button. Here it seems to be the other way around but still I can't make it to the other platform. Frustrating, to say the least.

Personally, I think that precision platformers seldom work in portrait mode. Is there a reason why you chose that lay-out? Is there an option available to play this game in landscape?

Will play some more later today. Maybe I'll miraculously get used to the controls.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleinteractive View Post
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate plain talking! The thing about having the 4 controls is you can adjust how far you jump. If you jump right then press right, you go further. You can also jump right then press left to change direction while jumping. If you can get used to it, it gives you lots more control than with a simple three button setup.

(also Beyond Ynth had a 4 button setup and people seemed to like it well enough... ;-)

I had hoped the tutorials would explain the controls but perhaps I need to offer alternative controls or more explanation.

You can also change the control settings from options > controls. Hopefully on your iPod they should turn up on the left of the screen. On iPad they should appear split by default.

"i dont know why i need to go back/forth between the levels (normally have a level select screen)"

There is also a level select screen. Options > manage levels. From there you can also reset levels or delete levels you have created.
Cheers and sorry for the negative feedback

I did try playing about with the controls but either left and right were far apart or they were together but then i had the weird jump left/jump right.

Beyond Ynth might have had a weird setup (dont think i played that) but i would 100% go for a standard left/right with a jump button on the right hand side like most platformers. Also you mention Manic Miner, that was left/right/jump not left/right/jump top left/jump top right etc

Think it has potential but those controls really have to be spot on
Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Plays slightly better with the controls 'split' and 'down'. But sometimes you still need to use a finger of each hand on the same side of the screen AND hold your device. It just feels unnatural.

The background is slightly distracting, especially on levels where there's a lot going on, but that problem can be solved by playing in 8 bit mode. I prefer this mode anyway and I think it should've been the default mode. Looks a lot better

All control issues aside, the game is okay, really. I just like collecting stuff, avoiding baddies and jumping on and off platforms
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

All codes gone. It looks cool though and will have to keep an eye on it, particularly if updates are made based on the control feedback.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM
iPad mini

Thanks for your comments, Jaggi. To answer your question, the reason its portrait is its single screen (not scrolling) and there's lots of jumps and falls, lots of high places. But portrait makes it difficult to do the traditional 3 button controls... I could make it landscape but then it would need to be a scrolling game: there's no way I could fit the whole level on a screen in landscape.

So scrolling might be the way forward.

I think the controls will work better on the iPad (in "split" mode) since you will naturally hold it in both hands and use two thumbs. Anyone tried it on iPad? Is it ok if I also mention it in the iPad forum here?

Here's some more promo codes if needed!

F6HKWERJ6TEL
TJMFRKJ6RNWH
W3PRXEKHKME6
T3KJ34WKM3TT
EXT77PL7H7AA
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
iPad mini

Here's a quick video to show how I play it. Note how I constantly adjust my trajectory using the left and right arrows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcAtZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Just redeemed F6HKWERJ6TEL now. Will watch the video to see how it is played before I dive in. Thanks for sharing!