Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default Mobile games did not evolve as I thought they would...

Where to start...? At the beginning, I guess.

I was a huge mobile phone gaming fan since I could play snake on that two-color nokia screen. Then I bought a phone, which had colors and more than 3 games! Then I got an old Sony Ericsson which already supported 3D j2me games, and I played and beat preety much all of 3D games that existed back then (and a ton of 2D games too, of course). I had a blast playing these, especially the games from Fishlabs. Then, the PSP got released (I was never a huge fan of portable console games, except mobile phone games, but PSP seemed like a real breaktrough). I was at the brink of buying the PSP, when I stumbled upon the Ravensword trailer on youtube, to be more precise, this video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

As you probably realised, I went straight ahead and bought the iPhone, simply because it had a WESTERN OPEN-WORLD 3D REAL-TIME RPG. PSP had no such games. The iOS seemed like it had a lot of potential, and seeing Ravensword being the best game at that time, and seeing that it was developed by indie devs and with some random game engine, one could only imagine what would happen when the big guys would come into the iOS bussines. I thought we would see games like Morrowind, maybe even Morrowind itself in a few years. Unfortunately, that did not really happen...

In the (almost) five years since Ravensword we have like a handful of those games.

Instead, we got a ton of casual hipster stuff, sigh

A recent game, however, pushed me towards the following decision; Galaxy on fire: Alliances. I played and beat ALL Fishlabs games, because they were non-casual and it just felt, like they developed what they wanted to. Now with Alliances... I just think that some devs are vomiting while developing this. F2P, tons of timers, no action at all... which is completely different from what they used to develop. I dont blame Fishlabs though, they just try to adapt to the market in order to keep making profit and not getting bankrupt. It is sad to see how the market demolished the value of gameplay and instead forces the developers to focus on graphics and monetization.

I will abandon the android/iOS games for now and buy a brand new battery for my old Sony Ericsson and play some good old classics. When I am done with that, I am gonna buy an old N-gage and I will play some Elder scrolls: Shadowkey (it even has freaking 4 PLAYER CO-OP!) - a game that iOS games will never get close to (well, maybe a game per year will). Maybe its just nostalgia, but this looks pretty awesome:

Youtube link | Pop Up

I am planning to buy a new iOS device in a year or two and I bet, that I will be able to play and beat all the noteworthy games that I missed out on in just a month or two.

Please, tell me I'm wrong...

Last edited by Primoz; 11-06-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

It is true that freemiums and early adopter blues is really hurting the market, but there's still some great games out there if you hunt and pick.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Goodluck out there. I did this a few months and found myself coming back to mobile gaming from console/pc.
Hope you enjoy the greener grass
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
/.../ but there's still some great games out there if you hunt and pick.
I did "hunt and pick" for the last 4 years... As said, there are only a handful of games, which would fit my criteria...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Purchased the N-Gage today, going old-school, abandoning iOS games for good...

For any doubters:

Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post

For any doubters:

Hahaha!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Not oldschool enough.Here is my old N-gage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (316.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
Not oldschool enough.Here is my old N-gage
I was actually deciding between the classic and the QD, the classic is better because you can over-clock it to 130 MHz, but then some games don't run... It also has MP3 player and radio etc. but I don't need that. I went with the QD because its more compact, has a better d-pad and a brighter screen. And you don't have to take the phone apart when inserting another MMC in.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
I was actually deciding between the classic and the QD, the classic is better because you can over-clock it to 130 MHz, but then some games don't run... It also has MP3 player and radio etc. but I don't need that. I went with the QD because its more compact, has a better d-pad and a brighter screen. And you don't have to take the phone apart when inserting another MMC in.

I've never seen or played on QD.I fell in love with N-gage after reading a long review in some magazine, still remember bits of text even today.They had a few screens from Pandemonium , Tomb Raider and some Japan exclusive online game that looked like first Dragon Quest ( very impressive at that time !).Didn't own many games as they were expensive for me back then.
Picture from a game promotion cover I got with N-gage ( irony is that N-gage Rayman 3 was a full Rayman game, not a sacked , endless runner Rayman game we get served today ):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (347.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Aventador; 11-08-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Why is this better than ios gaming?