★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

WW everything new being unnecessarily made to only work on 3.0 OS?

08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
WW everything new being unnecessarily made to only work on 3.0 OS?

What's with this? My sense of legal issues suggests that this is borderline if not for sure criminal business practice.
The reason the game won't work is stated by iTunes as 'requires features that don't work on your current version of the OS, please upgrade'. Games that this applies to includes all 3 downloads I have PAID FOR (with no 'works on 3.0 only' disclaimer!!!) since the upgrade was released (Stardefence, forget the other two just now).

Now, this would be all fine and dandy if two things were true: 1) that the game actually does require OS 3.0 for some reason other than being coded as such (aka for no real reason); and 2) if the upgrade they aggressively push you to buy was free.

Long story short, they are trying to chump you for the $10, which if it's so crucial (they make the old OS seem like it is defective), absolutely shouldn't cost money. And if it's simply cosmopolitan, there should be no reason you 'have' to upgrade it. Simple logic.

And this Apple knows, that they couldn't create a situation where you directly have to upgrade (i.e. can't even sync anymore w/out it), so they've forced developers into coding so as to run on 3.0 only in order to indirectly force you to upgrade. And that's just sketchy.

At the very least I think I'm entitled to a full refund of the money I spent on apps/games that don't work on my version that they fail to disclaim will only work on the new 3.0 OS. Their approach is hoping that the consumer is like "oh well, I guess I better fork over the $ for that upgrade or I won't be able to dload anything anymore". I have no reason to spend $10 for an upgrade that offers pretty much nothing in terms of any new features that appeal to me. And when we're talking firmware upgrades, charging $10 is astronomical (or really charging anything is)!!!

Current Fave Five iPad games:
Swordigo, Simpsons Tapped Out, Infinity Blade 2, DragonVale, Cloud Patrol
08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawn View Post
My sense of legal issues suggests that this is borderline if not for sure criminal business practice.
This is going to be a fun thread.

08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
The long story short part is longer than the other....

back
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Said in a bad German accent: "Velcome to ze 90's, Mr. GreyDawn". Just update already.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Didn't you hear him? Charging $10 is astronomical!

back
08-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
Didn't you hear him? Charging $10 is astronomical!
Ooh, now my sarcasm senses are tingling.

But yeah, seriously. Name 3 other firmware updates that cost $10. I like my touch and all, but the best analogy for Apple really is a vaccum and consumers' money is the dust. It's not the 'huge, huge price' that's astronomical. It's charging $10 for a frieking firmware update that does little, and then setting up a system of entrapment for users by forcing people indirectly to ante up for the 'optional' update. Derr

08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Said in a bad German accent: "Velcome to ze 90's, Mr. GreyDawn". Just update already.
Why should I be forced into paying $10 for nothing. You sound like the guy in high school pushing coke: 'everyone's done it, just up-nose already'.

08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
If you don't want to pay for 3.0, don't upgrade. If apps you've purchased have updates available which require 3.0, don't update them. If you downloaded updates for your existing apps which require 3.0, you will find all previous versions of those apps inside of the "Mobile Applications" directory inside of wherever you keep your iTunes library.

Seems pretty simple to me.
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawn View Post
Why should I be forced into paying $10 for nothing. You sound like the guy in high school pushing coke: 'everyone's done it, just up-nose already'.
Where the hell did you go to high school, Beverly Hills in the 80s? You aren't forced into anything. I'm just saying that much as your sarcasm radar was going off, this thread is making my whining radar go off. Get the update or don't.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
If you don't want to pay for 3.0, don't upgrade. If apps you've purchased have updates available which require 3.0, don't update them. If you downloaded updates for your existing apps which require 3.0, you will find all previous versions of those apps inside of the "Mobile Applications" directory inside of wherever you keep your iTunes library.

Seems pretty simple to me.
Ok, thanks, that is useful info. I don't think it helps me for the cases I've run into though. Two examples: for Star Defence, I just downloaded it when it went on sale/had an upgrade (to 1.3, which is 3.0 only), so I don't have previous versions to retro back to (not a download then update). Another example is the Oregon Trail free edition, also 3.0 only. As this version was released as 3.0 only there is no other version to go back to to make work on pre-3.0.

So the problem still stands: any new releases are being made 3.0-only for no real reason other than to force you to buy OS 3.0, and if you hadn't already bought a previous version you flat-out can't play them. (True?).