Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
iPad

Default Rainbow Web II and Lite from BigFishGames $0.99

$0.99
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324187171&mt=8

Lite
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324631186&mt=8

Quote:
The lands of Rainbow Kingdom have been freed from the Sorcerer Spider's sticky spell but the Royal Palace is caught in a dastardly web. You must free letters from the magic web by sliding colored beads into matching groups of three or more. Restore the Palace to its former glory to vanquish the villainous spider once and for all. Colorful, addictive, and full of surprises, Rainbow Web II is a vibrant adventure for the whole family.

KEY FEATURES
* 62 challenging web levels
* 7 spider web patterns and 13 unique rooms to restore
* 13 Jigsaw Puzzle and Hidden Object mini games
* Rich story and amazing graphics
* Listen to your iPod library while playing with fully integrated OS3 music controls.

Video of PC version

Youtube link | Pop Up

PC Demo
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...b-2/index.html

Last edited by DaveMc99; 08-04-2009 at 07:55 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 PM

I bought this last night but havent had a chance to play it yet. The devs are having a temporary $.99 sale on all their games. I'll post some impressions soon after I get a chance to play it some.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Ok well after about 30mins of playing..... not bad. Most of the game is basically a match 3 on a spider web. The spider web contains letters of words you need to spell with the letters to advance. Once you make a match of 3(or more) with any piece containing a letter included, that letter will go into the word you are trying to spell.

The "match 3 on the spider webs" aren't the only puzzles in the game. There are also "swap the tiles to make a picture" and "hidden object" mini games/ puzzles to engage in. (There may be even more types of puzzles later in the game)

There isnt a whole lot of difficulty in the game from what I've played so far. There is also no timer for the puzzles.

The music may or may not annoy you after a while, there are some mellow tunes going on that may make you sleepy, but you can shut them off if you want.

This game does have a story told in text in between each puzzle you solve. Something about how evil spiders have taken over the kingdom and you need to clean up their mess and get rid of them once and for good. The story is actually interesting in a "reading a good book" way. It also gives you a feeling that you are progressing through the game.

Overall the game is well done but is not for every audience out there. If you're the type of gamer who prefers action shooters for the most part you may not like this game and find it boring. I can see people who like to relax and play puzzles without a need for speed digging this game.

Recommended for $1-2. Currently its on sale for $.99
Rating: 4/5
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Review: Rainbow Web II a well-produced puzzler for the casual crowd

The iPhone/iPod Touch gaming platform is targeted at the casual gamer, but over the past few months with the release of more games, the line between casual and not so casual can often be blurred. One developer Big Fish Games makes it perfectly clear in its corporate boilerplate that the casual gamer is its target audience. That explains its new game Rainbow Web II, a family-oriented, G-rated (if you will), game that is exceedingly well done in both the artwork and the terrific mix of games. The mini-games and puzzles won’t strain your brain, but they’re entertaining and challenging enough to keep you busy for a few hours.

The story in Rainbow Web II surrounds the Rainbow Kingdom where the Sorcerer Spider has been defeated and the lands freed, but the Royal Palace still remains under a magic spell. Translation: Rescue the royals’ mansion from magical foreclosure. The task involves individually freeing each of the 13 rooms in the palace through a combination of match-3, jigsaw puzzles and hidden object games. The artwork representing each of the rooms is beautifully done with amazing detail, and the music has a medieval fantasy tone that reminds of Renaissance fairs. Each scenes are static images so don’t expect any animation, but they fit nicely within the structure of the game.

The game offers an overview map that charts progress through the levels and rooms throughout the palace. Each room is introduced with a part of the storyline rather eloquently in dialogue boxes that you can scroll through. Points are tallied at the end of each puzzle, specifically the match-3 games, for combos and time to complete. The puzzles and games aren’t timed, and each of the sections are designed with pick-up-and-play in mind.

Since we’re talking about the Sorcerer Spider, the match-3 mini-games are unique because they’re in the form of spider webs—7 different forms to be exact and 62 levels—and while the object of the game is to clear matching colored orbs, the catch is that you need to clear orbs with letters to spell names of certain rooms or objects. For example, orbs can only be matched and cleared if they’re connected by a vertical or horizontal web string, which are conveniently missing in many cases. Additional orb colors are introduced later, most notably the black one. The black orb cannot be moved or cleared unless it reaches the outer edge of the web. Remember, certain orbs have letters on them that needed to be cleared to fill in the letters of the given phrase. These puzzles typically took me about 10-15 minutes to clear because of the complexity of the web designs.

To mix things up a bit, mini-jigsaw puzzles are weaved into the gameplay, and these involve objects such as keys and swords. The sliding puzzles automatically lock in when moved to the right spot, and upon completion, these unlock other levels. Another type of puzzle in Rainbow Webs II is the hidden object game where the objective is to locate pieces hidden within a room to complete an object (e.g. vase). A hint function is provided and you do get docked points for tapping too much. The zoom function is activated by pinching, and you can also pan the scene by dragging the screen.

Rainbow Web II offers a good variety of gameplay, and I found myself reading through the story. While not the next great American novel, it’s does keep you engaged and provides purpose to the game. As puzzles are completed, objects will appear in scenes, and combined with the soundtrack can be quite whimsical. While the jigsaw puzzles can be completed relatively quickly and really not difficult at all, the hidden object games do require a good eye. Of course, the bulk of your time will be on the spider web match-3 games which as I mentioned are not impossible, but still challenging.

In general, some may find the various games easy and repetitive which admittedly they can be depending on your skill level. As I said, the puzzles will not strain your brain. Having said that, Rainbow Web II is the epitome of a well-done casual game appropriate for adults and kids. The games are simple enough in concept, yet challenging enough for children. The scenes are visually appealing and the story charming that can keep anyone satisfied and entertained for a few hours.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (good variety of mini-games and puzzles with an engaging storyline; visuals are top notch with and immersive soundtrack; some may find the puzzles repetitive; if you’re not into Renaissance tunes, you can also play your own)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 AM

There is also a free lite version available in the store.

The afterthoughts of my impressions are that this game is well made and the puzzles are good but the game just seems a little boring for my personal taste. I do recognize that it isn't a bad game though.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
There is also a free lite version available in the store.

The afterthoughts of my impressions are that this game is well made and the puzzles are good but the game just seems a little boring for my personal taste. I do recognize that it isn't a bad game though.
I think this depends on personal preferences because for some, it can be repetitive especially if you don't like match-3 type games.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I think this depends on personal preferences because for some, it can be repetitive especially if you don't like match-3 type games.
well they do switch it up a bit by throwing in jigsaw puzzles and hidden objects mini games. It's just the way the game is presented, in a fairytale sort of way that is just a bit boring for my personal taste without any sense of action mixed in.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
well they do switch it up a bit by throwing in jigsaw puzzles and hidden objects mini games. It's just the way the game is presented, in a fairytale sort of way that is just a bit boring for my personal taste without any sense of action mixed in.
I thought the story was fine, although I'm sure they could've thrown in some orc battles.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I thought the story was fine, although I'm sure they could've thrown in some orc battles.
yeah the story is actually interesting, its just the way they presented the whole game (especially with the music that almost made me fall asleep)

so what did you think of this game overall?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
yeah the story is actually interesting, its just the way they presented the whole game (especially with the music that almost made me fall asleep)

so what did you think of this game overall?
The music is definitely very mellow. I felt myself yawning

I think the devs put a lot of work into the game which shows. It's definitely geared for the casual audience, and in general I like the production values. While it's not for everyone, this is a solid game for what it is.