★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

War of the Zombie $2.99 ---> Free

11-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Squad Management RTS/TBS/RPG 'War of the Zombie' (Universal) $2.99 => Free

Now FREE for the first time and for a limited time obviously! Made some stages of the tutorial and so far it's recommended.

touchArcade editor's review: 'War of the Zombie' Review -Two (or more) Updates from Greatness (there were three or four updates since then).

Quote:
War of the Zombie is a zombie strategy simulation game that combines elements from squad based tactical, real time strategy, simulation and role playing games. The game is split into two phases: squad-based combat and base management.
Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I beta tested War of the Zombie and it's a very ambitious real time strategy fleet management sim hybrid that's a lot of fun.

You control an aircraft carrier that you are responsible for stocking with weapons, airplanes, etc that travels around the world fighting zombies and human rebels. The world map has a diverse resource management component where you acquire funds from completing levels then designate resources to combat material, research, squad development, etc (screenshot 2). From the world map (3rd screenshot) you can select any destination you chose, there is a good open world vibe. Each destination has combat that is handled in traditional real time strategy mechanics. You have a team of 4 individuals that you are selected from your roster (screenshot 4).

Each field member is equipt with a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, weapons are progressively unlockable through gameplay (wait to you see the rocket propelled grenade) and there is a mix of gun and melee options (machetes!). The levels have a top down view with environmental obstacles like vechicles in the road or building that you can enter (which may house hidden zombies) or there is the ability to drop missles (see screenshot 1), quantity permitting, on designated map areas.

The gameplay is open ended and there is so much content it unending. This might strike some as aimless but I really enjoyed the sandbox feel of a hopeless zombie pandemic. Each city can be handled by real time strategy combat but there are a limited number of city maps that appear randomized (so geography eventually repeats, but enemy composition and objectives change).

Two new maps are already promised as well as a necessary focus on fleshing out the research component more than it is currently (research is somewhat bare). The developers seem credibly committed to continually updating the game and adding further levels designs.

War of the Zombie is well worth $2.99 and there's little else like it on App Store (the best comparison might be the turn based strategy Aliens Versus Humans). The real time strategy gameplay feels tactical and combined with a satisfying simulation component War of Zombies is a good game with unparalleled depth for the RTS genre.

Xcom base management with a real time strategy combat element. Initially base management was shallower but this update should enhance things.

Recommended.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
11-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Comfirmed, free 5 hours ago.

11-13-2013, 01:34 AM
War of the Zombie $2.99 ---> Free

Awesome game!

Last edited by TheEvilRobot; 11-14-2013 at 10:12 PM.
11-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks for heads up.

Pine Entertainment
11-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Just been trying to play this and it just seems far too buggy to bother with. First time I played the first barrier wouldn't open for me, restarted and it did. Then I got to the 3rd barrier on level one and that wouldn't open.... Gave up on it after that. Seems like there might be a good game hiding somewhere so I'm going to keep it on my device in case it ever gets updated but won't be trying it again for now....
11-13-2013, 06:29 AM
This game FREE, is certainly a steal! The presentation is awesome and the gameplay is fun and keeps me entertained! So far, I've only encountered one problem (the Supply screen wouldn't load), but after closing and reopening the app, it never did that again.
11-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Free? Wow and thanks man!
11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
How is this not getting more interest?

I just started it and must say it is very well thought out. If you like mercenary-type games, this is it. I have an interest in global events and this game hits it on the mark. You play as a mercenary organisation (not a tiny group of soldiers like in other games) and have to juggle deploying your team to stop zombie outbreaks, save a city from being overwhelmed by zombies, rescue diplomats, research technology, maintain friendly relations with other countries...all this done from your headquarters...a carrier parked out in the ocean.

You command a Carrier (those gigantic ships that maybe 5 countries in the real world owns) called the Ark. From there, you pick which missions to go to from the world map. Lots and lots of missions are available from the map and you get contracts offered to you periodically. Successful completion of contracts raises your relations with the employing nation and opens up new missions.

Missions around the world are only accessible if your carrier is within range. You can move your carrier elsewhere, preferably near friendly nations. The friendlier the nation, the more contracts are handed out to you. They might want to purchase stuff from you as well, such as tomahawk missiles that you can manufacture from your carrier R&D divsion. Hostile nations will send fighter jets to attack you so you better have some fighter jets of your own to fight them off. These mini fights are resolved automatically.

You have a group of soldiers, each with different stats like stamina (moving around the map in mission map in realtime will deplete your stamina, stop moving to replenish, stopping too long to rest = zombies surround you = death), accuracy, strength (affects what weapons you can carry) etc. They acquire experience by going on missions and getting kill shots on zombies. They get promoted once you have enough experience. You can find weapons scattered around mission maps.

Your team members can get injured, which means they have to sit out for a couple of days. You get new members periodically so you can swap out for fresh members. You can purchase humvees, tanks, bombers, missiles to support you on missions. It is up to you how you want to spend your hard earned cash. Support? Or buy research labs to develop and manufacture items for your team or sell them off to nations for profit. More income = buying more stuff, e.g. fighter jets, cruise missiles etc.

Did i mention that if a zombie outbreak is out of range of your carrier (won't be able to send out your away team), you can opt to launch a missile at the zombies from the world map instead. Very cool concept!

Pros:
Open ended sandbox.
Zombies + RPG elements like X-com = win

Cons:
Have only encountered one error where the screen got stuck loading. Restarting the map solved this.
The ui can be daunting. Lots of info on a single screen.
Can get lost the first time you play it. Takes time to find out what to do.
11-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilRobot View Post

Anyone know how to break down he 1st Barriors on the 1st level?
Shoot it down with the shotgun, lol. Turn Auto-Fire OFF and manually shoot the barrier down (press on the fire icon above the soldier that you turned Auto-Fire off when it appears, then touch the object that you want to shoot [barrier in this case], and the shot should be fired to where you touched....mind you, the shotgun is a close-range weapon, so you may wanna place your firing soldier closer to the barrier before firing).

Also, the poster above me, OMG I FEEL THE SAME WAY!! This game is most certainly comparable to the mighty XCOM! This game is a gem....and this is coming from someone who finds zombie games redundant and cliché!! Like I said, this game is a steal for the price (FREE or not)...and it's hard to believe that this game is right below 90MB installed. The developers deserve a medal for this game, lol!
11-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoujin View Post
Shoot it down with the shotgun, lol. Turn Auto-Fire OFF and manually shoot the barrier down (press on the fire icon above the soldier that you turned Auto-Fire off when it appears, then touch the object that you want to shoot [barrier in this case], and the shot should be fired to where you touched....mind you, the shotgun is a close-range weapon, so you may wanna place your firing soldier closer to the barrier before firing).

Also, the poster above me, OMG I FEEL THE SAME WAY!! This game is most certainly comparable to the mighty XCOM! This game is a gem....and this is coming from someone who finds zombie games redundant and cliché!! Like I said, this game is a steal for the price (FREE or not)...and it's hard to believe that this game is right below 90MB installed. The developers deserve a medal for this game, lol!

Thanks lol I actually figured it bout later after restarting.

How do I go in missions? Everytime I click in a bubble I press the green checkmark and nothing happens.

Is there a way to save?