• Publisher: SNK PLAYMORE
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 65.8 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Become the new challenger in the all-time classic THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97 on iPhone and iPad!

Revisit this fighting gem, by playing one of its legendary (and sometimes hidden) teams, and behold the numerous endings the game has to offer!
Put an end to the evil Orochi's resurrection scheme, and finally settle the score between Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami!

Features:

35 playable characters!
Play as SNK's iconic fighters such as Kyo Kusanagi and Terry Bogard, and try to master the infamous "New Face Team" or the "KOF '97 Special Team"!
The NEO GEO version's hidden characters are now available directly on the character select screen so you can easily crush your opponent using Orochi Iori or Orochi Leona!
Experience for the first time in the series the "Affinity System", and to select the members of your team according to their affinity, and enjoy their pre-match interactions!

2 modes to improve the game's depth!
KOF '97 uses 2 differents gameplay modes: EXTRA and ADVANCED! Master the system that fits you the best and burn your rivals down!

ADVANCED MODE:
Various jumps for different ways to bring the pain to your enemy! A must if you think offense is the best defense!
You can stock your Power gauges to enter in MAX mode or to unleash deadly Desperation Moves!
Depending on your characters' affinity, get extra Power gauges even after losing a round!

EXTRA MODE:
Use the Evade move wisely as you are being rushed and send your opponent flying!
Fill your Power gauge to automatically enter Power Max mode for a set amount of time!
As you are close to exhaustion, your health bar will turn red and blink, then you will be able to unleash your Desperation Moves to your heart's content, as long as you are the last one standing!

A NEOGEO Perfect Port with added features!
You have the possibility to play the game as it was intended back in the days with 4 buttons, or you can enjoy the new control scheme using the 6 buttons settings and the simplified special move with the help of the SP button!

Fight against your friends through Bluetooth Multiplayer mode!
Decide who's the real KING OF FIGHTERS by challenging your friends via Bluetooth Multiplayer!
11-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Just saw this and my face is still..

Yeah, I think I might just buy this.

11-14-2013, 12:51 AM
i was hoping for a new KoF-i, but this isn't too shabby either.

=>> HEY YOU! Why own an iPad if you haven't played CRABITRON? <<=

Playing: Goblin Sword, Lost Toys, Duet Game, Layton Brother, Threes!, Solomon's Keep, Crabitron, Punch Quest, Minigore 2, IB3, Sword & Sworcery (Recommend them all!)
11-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Holy Moley! This is crazy, if it was 98' my jaw would've dropped
11-14-2013, 06:26 AM
This one also asks for iCade and MFi out of the box... Com'on SNK, you have done this before and you can do it again...Watch out KD...

Is this a good game among the KoF series? And how is the control?

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
11-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Solid port from SNK.

Really solid port from SNK. They did a great job with the controls. KOF usually has 4 buttons (A, B, C, D). Here they used a 7 button layout, which makes A+B and C+D easy to use. The 7th button is a special button which works kind of like the the "sp" button in the Street Fighter 2 port.. . . . Unlike the SFII port there's only one sp button. So you won't get different strengths of special attacks.

Here's a screen shot with the button 7 button layout. You can move the buttons and change the opacity and all that stuff.

Also the "desperation moves" are done by tapping your life bar. They really did a great job solving the problems with porting a game like this.

Last edited by m44; 11-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
This one also asks for iCade and MFi out of the box... Com'on SNK, you have done this before and you can do it again...Watch out KD...

Is this a good game among the KoF series? And how is the control?
No icade or ios 7 joystick on this one? That would be a shame
11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
The Ki...rs '97

Ha...

No but really, I had to pick this up the second I saw it. I can remember playing this every Saturday at the mall I worked my first job in. I didn't have a car and my mom would drop me off on her way to work so I'd have about 3-4 hours of standing around waiting to start working, and wound up dumping countless amounts of quarters into this one. Then my neighbor got it for his Saturn.

Anyway, LOTS of memories here, and with widescreen support, being a DotEmu port (and the perfection that comes along with that) - $4 is a friggin steal.

I can't wait to really get some free time later today and dive into this. Great little surprise!
11-14-2013, 09:54 AM
OMG, this is amazing.
11-14-2013, 02:01 PM
...buuuut...

I'm really tempted to get this, but then I remember what NeoGeo fighting games are like when it comes to final bosses... Wouldn't this game be next to impossible to beat on a touch screen...?