★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is this the place for showing early work?

11-15-2013, 12:20 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Is this the place for showing early work?

Hi everyone, just a couple quick questions about this forum, its categories, and wording conventions. We're catching a tiny bit of flack over our recent post about our game When Pigs Fly, which is in a very early stage of development. We want to avoid disappointing people, obviously, but the terminology we've used seems to have failed to live up to some users' expectations.

What terms/wordage would you all recommend for sharing early works in progress, and how important are these kinds semantics within this forum?
And lastly, is this a good place for us to post such material, or are we showing up at the wrong party?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Blind Albino mixes art, humor, and technology right into the palm of your hand. Enjoy!
11-15-2013, 12:50 AM
#2
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,005
I think it is a fine place, and development blog or something similar is good.

Clearly you aren't far enough into development to show the game yet.

Just be honest and don't talk up stuff you don't have and let your product speak for itself.

11-15-2013, 01:15 AM
#3
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: ID
Posts: 1,561
Why don't you try slidedb.com (for mobile games) or indiedb.com (PC/Mac/mobile) to show your game?

Game Center ID: copaeci
11-15-2013, 01:17 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
I think it is a fine place, and development blog or something similar is good.

Clearly you aren't far enough into development to show the game yet.

Just be honest and don't talk up stuff you don't have and let your product speak for itself.
Thank you Destined, for your considerate replies to our posts. Does anyone else here feel we are being dishonest? That certainly was not our intent. We simply wanted to share our excitement and our process with a supportive community, and to those we have unintentionally misled, we sincerely apologize.

Blind Albino mixes art, humor, and technology right into the palm of your hand. Enjoy!
11-15-2013, 01:19 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
Why don't you try slidedb.com (for mobile games) or indiedb.com (PC/Mac/mobile) to show your game?
Thank you copaeci, we'll definitely check out those sites!

Blind Albino mixes art, humor, and technology right into the palm of your hand. Enjoy!
11-15-2013, 02:47 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindAlbino View Post
Thank you Destined, for your considerate replies to our posts. Does anyone else here feel we are being dishonest? That certainly was not our intent. We simply wanted to share our excitement and our process with a supportive community, and to those we have unintentionally misled, we sincerely apologize.
I know there was no intent. But I watched clearly expecting gameplay (and I wasn't the only one). When I clicked I was expecting a 15 second glimpse of gameplay not a 13 minute development video. I think you can see from your description that people would probably not expect a 13 minute development video?

I get you are excited and that is great. I don't in any way want to discourage the posting of work. It is just unfortunate wording.

It is cool showing development but it isn't a product yet, when it is then you can start showing it.

Don't worry so much, when your game eventually gets to being released nobody will remember any of your first development videos.

Last edited by Destined; 11-15-2013 at 02:49 AM.
11-15-2013, 02:57 AM
#7
I think being able to see the progress is interesting, I posted here a bit about our upcoming puzzle game, didn't really get any response (http://goo.gl/DLhiX5) but i see some people are reading the post so may be even though people don't comment they are happy to read a bit about the game, I myself is like that, very often i would not write comments but i do read and happy to see how the things are done, and how concept changes while it get more and more mature.

so please post.
11-15-2013, 03:12 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: La Habra Hights, California
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemuraori View Post
I think being able to see the progress is interesting, I posted here a bit about our upcoming puzzle game, didn't really get any response (http://goo.gl/DLhiX5) but i see some people are reading the post so may be even though people don't comment they are happy to read a bit about the game, I myself is like that, very often i would not write comments but i do read and happy to see how the things are done, and how concept changes while it get more and more mature.

so please post.
Thanks for your encouragement takemuraori, we really appreciate it. People will have their own expectations, and we won't try to fight them. To us, a tease is a peak without the giveaway, so we will continue to post our teaser videos, in our own way, until the day comes when we can demo the full game. Some people will undoubtedly forget our videos, or complain about their length, wording, etc, and some will not recognize that the heart of a game does not necessarily reside just in the interactive code, but those details are all beside the point. If just one person took any inspiration from us posting, then our mission was accomplished. Thanks again my friend!

Blind Albino mixes art, humor, and technology right into the palm of your hand. Enjoy!
11-15-2013, 05:08 AM
#9
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindAlbino View Post
We're catching a tiny bit of flack over our recent post about our game When Pigs Fly, which is in a very early stage of development. We want to avoid disappointing people, obviously, but the terminology we've used seems to have failed to live up to some users' expectations.

OK calm down, take a deep breath. You had two comments asking for a bit of gameplay footage because people were generally interested in what your doing.

If your classing this as taking flack and failing people you need to pop a chill pill. And yes feel free to post any dev videos here as we love seeing those to even if you have not yet got any game footage.

I was generally interested in your work and would love to see more when your ready.



ps.


DO NOT FAIL ME AGAIN
11-15-2013, 08:10 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Koblenz, Germany
Posts: 274
You are obviously not going to please everyone and you don't need to try and do that. Just define who exactly are the people that will enjoy your game and cater to them

The Way Home - Incredible Time Travel Arcade Adventure [FREE]
You can also find me on Twitter!
Have a crazy day :P