Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Auto Thunder [Free]

PEDAL TO THE METAL AS AUTO THUNDER : HIGH SPEED RACE ROARS ON TO YOUR IOS DEVICE!

Auto Thunder Lite is available Right Now!, Auto Thunder Pro will be available 16th Nov 2013!

GET IT HERE!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Old school classic racing action as you battle with the other racers for first place!

Thrash and bash your way through:

The Oval
Lock Stock Speedway &
Alpine Canyon
[Auto Thunder Lite]
+
Aztec Way
Metropolis
Neon City
Fun Land Theme Park!
[Auto Thunder Paid]

Against up to 18 opponents!

With a roaring rock sound track!

http://www.lockstockgames.co.uk

Like our Facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/lockstockgames

Twitter
#LockStockGames

Last edited by LockStockGames; 01-11-2014 at 03:52 AM..
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Got it, but haven't had a chance to really play yet, it was late when I downloaded it... What I saw looked good though..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

So I've played a couple more races, there is much to like, it's very old school Daytona style, which is a good thing, the retro graphics provide a lot of detail and the racing is pretty fast paced. I have to say though that the steering for me doesn't gel... I just can't steer with the drift in corners (I had the same issue in the original version of this game). Also in the second race of career mode I just set three fastest laps and only managed to finish 9th out of 15... I like the retro feel of this, I used to love Daytona, but the balance feels a bit off for me at the moment. It could just be that my preference is toward sim style over arcade handling...
All that said though there is a lot to like here and it's free to try, and then buy the Pro version if you like.... I would recommend giving the free version a go.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
So I've played a couple more races, there is much to like, it's very old school Daytona style, which is a good thing, the retro graphics provide a lot of detail and the racing is pretty fast paced. I have to say though that the steering for me doesn't gel... I just can't steer with the drift in corners (I had the same issue in the original version of this game). Also in the second race of career mode I just set three fastest laps and only managed to finish 9th out of 15... I like the retro feel of this, I used to love Daytona, but the balance feels a bit off for me at the moment. It could just be that my preference is toward sim style over arcade handling...
All that said though there is a lot to like here and it's free to try, and then buy the Pro version if you like.... I would recommend giving the free version a go.
Thanks for the review GPS. I'll check it out.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Got a promo code for the pro version. Thanks!

Could win the first six career races in the first or second attempt. The second walkthrough of the tracks is in reversed direction. Then it starts from new with the second car (out of three). The first tracks are pretty short, the later ones are really long.

Auto Thunder has it's special physics characteristics (rather different from Asphalt 8 p.e.) but I got used to them quickly for the first car (all on default, didn't even check if there are other options). Intuitive drifting technique (physics depending heavily on car). This is valid for car #1 (Stinger Easy) and car #2 (Duke Normal): "To activate a drift, quickly turn the car as you approach the corner." Car #3 (Goliath Hard): "To activate a full drift, quickly turn the car as you approach the corner then tap the brake twice." Each car has a different handling and it seems that #2 and #3 are more difficult.

Nice speed feeling. Good AI. They're screwing themselves up in the far distance sometimes and you have to take care not to crash into them. So don't give up too early—anything may happen!

You almost never need to brake, just drift heavily and with a good timing. Except in the tight curves downhill: short brake before. Good visuals—you can judge perfectly if the track goes uphill or downhill and if steep or not. I know this is very difficult to realize in 3D racing games.

Finding the "combat line" (for ideal tight curves) is crucial here. Focused on pure racing & precise steering & track knowledge. Quick loading times. No shops, no upgrades orgies and no distracting manager or business sim. Love that. (No IAPs, no timers, nothing of all that crap. Just race as much as you want and be warned: Maybe you can't stop.)

Very good track design! Made with love. Pretty abstract Neon City (five attempts to win in reversed direction). :-) Almost psychedelic! As well as the moving patterns (must see!) in Fun Land's (full speed slalom track) tunnel! Or the looong (almost never ending) curve in the Alpine Canyon (you can overtake 5–8 cars here if you drive it tight)! All tracks are really pretty, unique and interesting. Some rare mass crashes may happen.

You can pause the game even in the 3 – 2 – 1 starting sequence (Asphalt look at that). Sounds are not overwhelming but okay (some atmosphere in the Fun Land). Rocky bg music.

Register slots for multiple players. But I'm afraid it didn't record/save career progress once. When I pulled the game out of the multitasking area the career started again with the oval (it was when I've played for ten or fifteen minutes and won two or three races). Then I didn't dare to kill the game again, played for some 1.5 hours, got a gold trophy, made three races with the second car (rather different physics but interesting, you'll have to learn driving and drifting from the scratch), hit the dedicated "exit career" button (in the last screen before a race) at some time—and it worked. This time career was saved correctly (I could start it later at the save point).

Some minor complaints: I needed some time to get used to the menus, where to swipe, where to tap. And the menus are not very pretty as well. The "Continue" button (in the results) sometimes reacts a bit slow. (Or should I press "Next"? How can "next" and "continue" be on the same screen? What's the difference? I found it out: "Next" scrolls the list, "continue" switches to the next list out of three.) The results at the end of a game are way too slow. Once the game crashed to homescreen when I pressed the respawn button in a race. No global records in Game Center (finished some races in arcade mode). The "Final Lap" or "Best Lap" letters are too huge and covering sight.

Very promising! Needs some polish. But racing is PURE FUN AND EXCITING in this game believe me (once you've got used to the physics after some laps)! Recommended! Okay it's not Asphalt (no nitro, no ramps/jumps, no multiplayer, far less tracks & cars, much simpler what not must be a bad thing and more cars in a race) but a really nice contribution in my huge iOS racing games collection!

You should definitely try the free version at least if you're into speed action and precision gaming. What are the restrictions exactly in the free version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.jpg (241.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0661.jpg (184.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0659.jpg (143.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Habakuk; 11-17-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Thanks for your review. Will check it.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Went ahead and played the full version. I think this is the first racing game where I prefer tilt over touch for steering. I think the touch steering needs some work. Beyond that its good arcade racing fun. I'm going to dig into the career mode, but so far a good first impression.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
The game crashed to homescreen when I pressed the respawn button in a race.

What are the restrictions exactly in the free version?
Just noticed the crash to home screen bug, it happens when you press the reset button twice quickly, working on a fix. The Lite version is a separately monetised version the game, its has 3 tracks (rather than 7), easy and medium cars only, an 15 race career mode rather than a 39 race career mode and supported by ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I prefer tilt over touch for steering. I think the touch steering needs some work.
Working on that now, its incredibly hard to get right due to a former programmers work. Rest assured, this is on the list.

Last edited by LockStockGames; 01-11-2014 at 03:57 AM..
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Cool, getting it now!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

A bug fixed version of Auto Thunder Free has been released, fixes issues with the status bar being shown in the Lite version and other bug fixes.

Last edited by LockStockGames; 01-11-2014 at 03:58 AM..