Support our Sponsors:

Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default Who turned off the lite?

So, we all know pricing and iap will always be a major discussion and stir the pot when it comes to ios gaming. i realized something today, and I wanted to know if a developer (or anyone else really), could shed some light on this.

I remember in the earlier days of the AppStore, tons of games featured a "lite" version of the game. It was basically a short demo of the game you could download for free, and if you liked it after you tried it, you could buy it.

This was a popular method devs used before the huge freemium trend set it iirc, and while there are still a few games that have lite versions, its no where near as prevalent as it once was.

When exactly did this die out, and was there a specific reason?
I.e. did it cost more to release a demo, was it just not effective, etc.

I was just scrolling through my old iTunes account and realized how many "lites" I had from when I got my first ipodtouch, and the number was amazing. I rarely use my laptop these days (which is what that account was on) so I had pretty much forgotten they existed.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Our Parachutist lite version of 10 free levels got rejected 2 weeks ago. Parachutist lite had 10 free levels (a lite version of Parachutist). It is clear that developers might not have the choice now so freemium games are "in".
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM
iPad mini

Apple started rejecting some lite version a while back. They don't want what they vaguely refer to as "crippled" lites on the AppStore or some such nonsense.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2013 View Post
Our Parachutist lite version of 10 free levels got rejected 2 weeks ago. Parachutist lite had 10 free levels (a lite version of Parachutist). It is clear that developers might not have the choice now so freemium games are "in".
What? Really? Wow, that sucks to hear. Lite versions are great.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yea, I noticed that too. So they're being phased out then? I remember buying most games after first trying the lites. Still do in fact if a lite is offered. It was a nice concept for what it was.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I think now a days it's more in app purchases vs lite version. Why release and maintain two builds on a game when you can just do it all in one?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Personally, I'd prefer one app with a full game unlock anyway. I wish all games would do this -- the try before you buy type thing -- and the devs wouldn't have two apps to maintain (although, really, unless there's a bug, lite versions usually aren't touched because you don't add new content to them).
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I miss lite versions as well, mostly because a lot of people flip out when a game addresses the same issue by putting a full unlock in the game rather than using an up-front price.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I too miss the good old days with lites and premiums. Wish the trend would come back.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Sounds like there's a lot of people here that would prefer lite and premium versions rather than a single free version that unlocks to full.

What is it about the free version that unlocks to full version that you guys don't like?