★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Steam Tank and Lite $0.99

08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Steam Tank and Lite $0.99

Hey Gang,

Anybody check out Steam Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Description
Join the battle and help Drake and Lind as they take to the skies to fend off hordes of mechanical drones and attempt to free the world from the sky pirates' grasp!

SteamTank is an arcade shooter set in a steam punk universe. Pilot a steam propelled flying tank using a combination of touch and accelerometer controls. Shoot, blast and survive your way through swarms of enemies. Each enemy type behaves in a different manner requiring a combination of strategy and fast reflexes to survive.

FEATURES:
- 4 different game modes:
Onslaught - Enemies just keep coming
Wave Attack - 110 enemy waves to conquer
Wave Select - Jump into any completed wave
Survival - Evade enemies and collect items
- Full tutorial with Lind and Drake
- Unique enemy AI
- Touch and analog control schemes
- Shake activated shock wave and invincibility
- Global score boards for every mode

TIPS:
- Try out the tutorial to get introduced to the different control schemes.
- If you want to listen to your own music just disable the sounds in the options menu and start your music before launching the app.
- The game will automatically pause if you get a call or hit the power button.
- You need to double tap the pause button to pause the game.

Please provide feedback and let us know what you would like to see in the next update!
I just snagged it and although I've only had a few minutes in on it so far playing Onslaught Mode, it's a pretty cute and clever top down arena shooter with a good variety of baddies that all behave pretty uniquely. I like how, for example, blowing up one of the floating islands sends out some flying dirt chunks that will take out any baddies they end up hitting.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
You seem to be finding all kinds of neat stuff lately, LordGek! I like the steampunk premise, and the graphics have a great style to them... might have to pick this up too

Can't play games *too* much though. I need to get back into coding real soon!

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
You seem to be finding all kinds of neat stuff lately, LordGek! I like the steampunk premise, and the graphics have a great style to them... might have to pick this up too

Can't play games *too* much though. I need to get back into coding real soon!
I guess it sort of lives up to the steampunk genre but they pull one of my most hated deals (especially as an ipod toucher) by having ALL scores only accessible online so that not only can you not see previous local highscores without wi-fi but whatever scores you may be making now, even if a new highscore, will not be preserved in anyway without wi-fi.

My iTunes Reviews
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
That`s really bad. I dont have a plan with my unlocked 2G and rely on wifi only. Will hate to not being able to store my high scores.
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Also a big problem if you play on airplanes a lot like I do (duh, airplane mode )... That's why I wrote Rogue Touch to stash your high score data and submit later when a network connection was available, because it really stinks to make a new record and not be able to share it because you had to turn off the cell-phone or wifi access.

That'll have to get fixed for Steam Tank before I buy I'm afraid. Too bad, looked amusing

--- ChronoSoft ---
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
Also a big problem if you play on airplanes a lot like I do (duh, airplane mode )... That's why I wrote Rogue Touch to stash your high score data and submit later when a network connection was available, because it really stinks to make a new record and not be able to share it because you had to turn off the cell-phone or wifi access.

That'll have to get fixed for Steam Tank before I buy I'm afraid. Too bad, looked amusing
Yeah, kind of sloppy and I do appreciate your model and have seen a few others thankfully use that too, or simply letting you CHOOSE when to submit online and at that point submitting only your highest scores in each mode IF they hadn't already been submitted.

My iTunes Reviews
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I guess it sort of lives up to the steampunk genre but they pull one of my most hated deals (especially as an ipod toucher) by having ALL scores only accessible online so that not only can you not see previous local highscores without wi-fi but whatever scores you may be making now, even if a new highscore, will not be preserved in anyway without wi-fi.
oh noes, that is bad. hopefully this gets taken care of in the future
08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is Adam. I developed SteamTank. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

Right now the game does require a data connection to submit and view scores but it should work over edge/3g as well as WiFi. Is it not working for your over your cellular data connection?

I am changing the behavior of the high scores in the next release. My plan is to always store your scores locally and enable you to submit your highest score for each mode to the global leader board (when your data connection is available). Would this solution solve the issues you are facing? Do you have any suggestions to improve it more?

Thanks again!
08-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
Quote:
Originally Posted by atschuetz View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is Adam. I developed SteamTank. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

Right now the game does require a data connection to submit and view scores but it should work over edge/3g as well as WiFi. Is it not working for your over your cellular data connection?

I am changing the behavior of the high scores in the next release. My plan is to always store your scores locally and enable you to submit your highest score for each mode to the global leader board (when your data connection is available). Would this solution solve the issues you are facing? Do you have any suggestions to improve it more?

Thanks again!
local scores + submit when you want = I think that would be better in general

Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
+1 Agreed. Local score storage and submitting later are perfect.

Cellular and Wifi connections are only good if you're allowed to have them on or are in range of an access point. I have neither when in an airplane. It's also problematic when out to sea, but I generally don't stray too far beyond the horizon in that case

--- ChronoSoft ---