★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The Shivah: Kosher Edition - Completely remastered with all-new graphics and music!

Russell Stone is a Jewish rabbi at a struggling synagogue in New York City. He is a devout man with a problem - membership is down and he lacks the funds to keep his synagogue open. Things are looking very bleak, and he has grown progressively more cynical and bitter with the passage of time.

Just as he is on the verge of quitting, he receives some intriguing news. An estranged member of his congregation has died and left the rabbi a significant amount of money. A blessing? Or the start of something far more sinister? Can Rabbi Stone just accept the money and move on, or will his conscience get the better of him? Step into his shoes as he travels all over Manhattan in his attempt to uncover the truth.

Features rabbinical conversation methods, a unique method of fighting, a haunting score, and three different endings depending on your moral choices.

_____________________________________________


REVIEWS

PocketGamer - "Its unique cast of characters, intriguing storyline, and sharp detective-style conundrums mean it's well worth playing this thoughtful and pensive adventure." Score: 9/10, Gold Award

Cult of Mac - "Tricky puzzles, a great hero, and an interesting plot." Score: 5/5

148Apps - "The perfect bite-sized adventure that'll whet one's curiosity for many answers to life, death, choices, and mystery." Score: 4.5/5

MacLife - "The Shivah makes the jump to iOS gracefully. Its rare that a games plot, characters, genre, and platform mesh as neatly as they do in this short and bittersweet tale." Score: 4.5/5

IGN Italia - "The Shivar: Kosher Edition represents a great opportunity to play a solid, mature, fascinating and original graphic adventure." Score: 8/10

Adventure Gamers - "The Shivah's interesting clues system, well-written dialog, logical puzzles and fascinating commentary make it easy to recommend." Score: 4/5

GameZebo - "The game addresses philosophical questions that have been with humankind since we first learned how to look upwards and wonder. ... The Shivah: Kosher Edition doesn't have all the answers, but it does supply a top-notch adventure experience." Score: 4/5

The Onion A.V. Club - "The Shivah fits a compelling moral conscience over a tight decision tree, and compared to [other titles], its rewards are subtler and more satisfying."

sink_or_swim's comments:
Price in NZ: $2.59

11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 19,850
This day gets better. Had a few not-so-good purchases today, so this is another saving grace.

And i need to stop buying now. This should be my last purchase for the week. I over spent last week, i should control myself for the next few weeks. LOL.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

11-20-2013, 03:03 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
This day gets better. Had a few not-so-good purchases today, so this is another saving grace.

And i need to stop buying now. This should be my last purchase for the week. I over spent last week, i should control myself for the next few weeks. LOL.
Did you ever get to play strike force heroes?
11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 19,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
Did you ever get to play strike force heroes?
I found out there's IAPs, so i didnt buy the HD version after mistakenly buying the SD version.

Didnt want to pay $5 for a runner game with IAPs, especially after the overspending that was last week.

I'll wait for recommendations before deciding if im gonna spend another $3 for the HD version.

Reason why im not gonna attempt getting a refund is because i have never gotten a refund in over 10 games i asked refunds for from the PH appstore. My request for refunds on the US appstore is a perfect 2 out of 2, so im not sure what is wrong withthe PH appstore service.

I might install the SD version on the 4S later though.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I found out there's IAPs, so i didnt buy the HD version after mistakenly buying the SD version.

Didnt want to pay $5 for a runner game with IAPs, especially after the overspending that was last week.

I'll wait for recommendations before deciding if im gonna spend another $3 for the HD version.

Reason why im not gonna attempt getting a refund is because i have never gotten a refund in over 10 games i asked refunds for from the PH appstore. My request for refunds on the US appstore is a perfect 2 out of 2, so im not sure what is wrong withthe PH appstore service.

I might install the SD version on the 4S later though.
Alright well I'm definitely gonna get it when it drops in the US. From Sanuku's video it looks like you earn currency at a very good rate.


So what's this game? There's no screenshots showing in this thread, is it any good?

Last edited by JCho133; 11-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
11-20-2013, 06:24 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Wop Wops
Posts: 930
I highly recommend this game for everyone, especially fans of point and click genre and adventure games. The game is very polish with no IAP and the retro-style graphics is very nice. This game is developed by the same team who created Gemini Rue. This game definitely require more attention from TA members. I will definitely vote it for GOTW.
11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
#7
Joined: May 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by biokid View Post
I highly recommend this game for everyone, especially fans of point and click genre and adventure games. The game is very polish with no IAP and the retro-style graphics is very nice. This game is developed by the same team who created Gemini Rue. This game definitely require more attention from TA members. I will definitely vote it for GOTW.
Looks like Gemini Rue, but do I have to be jewish to understand it and to solve the puzzles?

By the way, this is the same team who ported Gemini Rue to iOS, not same developers.
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM
#8
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Wop Wops
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipipitchu View Post
Looks like Gemini Rue, but do I have to be jewish to understand it and to solve the puzzles?

By the way, this is the same team who ported Gemini Rue to iOS, not same developers.
Nope, actually we are both wrong. It is published by the same publisher, who published Gemini Rue (both PC and IOS version). And No, you don't need to be Jewish at all.

Gemini Rue is made by Joshua Nuernberger, while The Shivah is created by Dave Gilbert (founder of Wadjet Eye Games, the publisher of both games).
11-20-2013, 08:00 PM
#9
Joined: May 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 1,490
Wadjet Eye took care of the port too instead of Joshua himself. Well, Maybe I'll give it a chance after I finish Monkey Island.
11-20-2013, 08:05 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Wop Wops
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipipitchu View Post
Wadjet Eye took care of the port too instead of Joshua himself. Well, Maybe I'll give it a chance after I finish Monkey Island.
Obviously, because they are the publisher. Anyway, Which Monkey Island game are you playing? Also, if you are a fan of point and click games, I would highly recommend Broken Sword series (Note: The Serpent's Curse is going to be released this December as well).