★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Mauro Zocco
  • Genre: Music
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 12.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: *** gyroboost is now FREE! ***

gyroboost is a fast-paced mobile game designed to be played in short bursts. Its gameplay premise is pretty simple: You control an always-rotating ship which moves straight forward when touching the screen.

- 2 game modes:
- "collect": collect green orbs while the screen slowly gets filled by hazard
- "chase": flee from an enemy while simultaneously avoiding on-screen traps

- addictive and challenging gameplay for both casuals and core gamers
- Game Center support with Leaderboards
- progressively increasing difficulty
- neon-retro look with pixel-art graphics and pulsating lights
- chiptune soundtrack which increases in intensity when you manage to get a nice streak of orbs in "collect" or survive for a long time in "chase"

Bronxsta's comments:

11-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Interesting movement mechanics. Is it tap and hold to move in the currently faced direction during the time you tap, and lift finger to stop and rotate?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
So now that I got to play the game, I can say it's pretty fun. The controls take some getting used to, but after a while, you can maneuver like a pro. Essentially your ship rotates continuously; when it's facing in a desired direction, you hold the screen to move forward in that direction. Releasing stops your ships and resumes rotating.

There are two modes, both revolving around attaining a high score, but with their own twist on the core mechanic. Collect has you collecting green orbs for points as dangerous red orbs materialize on the screen. This mode is all about timing and positioning, as you need to maneuver around and between the red orbs as long as possible to get a high score.

Chase flips that around and focuses on evasion. Another ship appears on the screen and begins homing in on your ship. So now you need to be able make quick decisions and move fast and not get yourself cornered. I haven't progressed far enough to say whether more ships or red orbs appear

So it's simple game, with a simple mechanic, no IAP or ads, and it's fun. I think it's worth checking out