Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Default Battlefield 4(TM) Tablet Commander

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I'm surprised this thread wasn't created already. I don't own the game (I desperately want BF4, but I don't have the hardware ATM), but I'd still like to hear how good it is.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I've put two hours into this game and around twenty in the console version so I feel I've played enough to wholeheartedly recommend it.

You get dropped into the larger scale battles with four key actions available to you: UAV, EMP, Evacuation Orders and High-Value Targeting. Performing actions such as supporting your team gives you extra abilities like supplying ammo, vehicles or kill streak points. Furthermore, depending on the control points the console players have occupied, you can launch cruise missiles, gunships and map-wide UAVs.
It's hard to give an impression of how exciting it can be but sitting at work on my lunch break ordering people around and turning the tide of battle is unique for me. Only being able to view the map does detract from the action somewhat but I see little way around it in terms of processing and battery drain. Regardless, it can get quite exciting rooting for your little triangular comrades as they take a base you need.

You have to be Level 10 in a version of the game before you can play, which could take a few hours depending on skill but it does weed out the less dependable players. Tutorials are pretty decent and after one game I knew how to utilise most of the actions anyway. It's a pretty decent way to level your character as well as experience carries over and there are some unique awards to unlock too.

All in all, I would have been very happy to have paid a few pounds for this, getting it for free has been a massive treat. Turning an FPS into a solid RTS is no easy feat. The only drawback I've found is a fairly large download size - something in the region of 450mb but it's well worth it to me