★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Great Martian War

11-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to ryanmillercg
The Great Martian War by The Secret Location

I had the honour of working on this App with The Secret Location this summer. I present you, The Great Martian War. An into-the-dead style endless runner, free to play on iOS.

Last edited by ryanmillercg; 11-25-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Can't get [appinfo] to work
11-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Hmm, must not be available in the U.S.

11-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Description

The Martians have invaded! Can you survive long enough to save Earth from extinction?

It's World War I, and war is hell—especially when the enemy you must face are terrifying Martian warriors. You are Gus Lafonde, fearless scout and soldier—and you must survive. The future of the planet—along with every human being—depends on you.

Navigate vast battlefields as you evade sneaky land mines, deafening artillery strikes, massive tanks, and towering Martian war machines.

Collect Rations and Victisite (the living metal that powers the alien machines) to unlock powerups.

Will the Martians reign supreme and destroy the world as we know it? Or will the Human Race find a way to defeat the alien invaders?

FEATURES:

• Virtually endless gameplay: Randomly-generated levels allow for non-stop fun.

• Visceral combat: Immersive 3D visuals and sound effects place you in the middle of the Martian War.

• Massive scale: Escape through vast environments and exciting set pieces as you progress through 18 player levels.

• Period-specific battle gear: Beat the odds with World War I-themed powerups.

• Achieve the impossible: In-game achievements challenge you to finish your mission and collect rewards.

• Dynamic content: The Martian War universe is always expanding with ongoing content updates and new features!

Last edited by drdeniz79; 11-26-2013 at 07:53 AM.
11-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Woah... fantastic looking runner. Pulling up the old CA account for this as it's not in the PH appstore.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Just noticed this was first up and available on the CA appstore since 10/25/2013.

Any idea when it'll show up worldwide?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Great atmosphere, good graphics and sounds, and the gameplay is somewhat similar to Into The Dead but with its own additions.

The controls are, for lack of better terms, a hit-or-miss. There are 2 control options. Tap, and then Tilt.

For the Tap option, tap left to go left, and tap right to go right. For tilt, well, you already know that. Simple right?

Only until you start to learn that jumping and sliding requires SWIPING. Tapping or tilting left and right are good options, but having them integrated with swipes can get iffy. They are not totally bad, but it can definitely be better.

I love the tap controls personally, and its cool that you can tap with one thumb to move in that direction, and swipe with the other thumb to either jump or slide. But sometimes i still feel like it isnt my fault when i fail a jump. Also, there are a few times my character doesnt slide when i swipe.

Im sure one can get used to the controls and get better at it in no time though.

The game can get a little grindy, of course. Getting to upgrade the first 2 or 3 levels of each upgrade is easy enough, as i can level one upgrade in about 1, 2 or 3 runs, but beyond that, it's a grind. There's a doubler which i think can be pretty solid, but no way i can try that out, not with my CA account.

Overall, this is a gorgeous looking game that i recommend checking out. It isnt too different from Into the Dead, but the game adds maneuverability through jumps and slides, so if ITD somehow got your attention, there isnt a lot of reasons not to try this one out. Oh, and this is presented as a behind-the-back runner, instead of ITD's first-person style.

For my personal suggestions that may or may not improve the game:

1. Shake the screen at key moments. Like the nearer an explosion is, the stronger the shaking.

2. Improve the jump and slide swiping sensitivity. As mentioned above, sometimes they dont register.

3. Improve the character's animation to improve the game's atmosphere even further. Like for example, make the character's head tilt to look towards the aliens, and even lift his arm up to cover his face from the dirt that is thrown around consistently.

Maybe also have the character's head bob down a little, while his shoulders go up like one would in real life when an explosion happens near by.

Maybe also one more animation to the jump and the slide (like how Pitfall! iOS does). Will make it look a bit more varied the more the game is played.

Atmosphere is where this game shines, so these could help.

4. The doubler... Increase it from $1.99 to $2.99, and make it a tripler.

5. The title screen. The smoke fractal art... it would be loads better animated. Same with the loading screen.

6. Limit the number of uses of the revive/continue option. 1, 2 or 3 max revives per run sounds perfect.

7. Maybe more control options. For tilt for example, how about a jump button on the left and a slide button on the right? Then for touch, how about virtual buttons for left and right on the left side, and a jump and slide button on the right side?

12-04-2013, 05:21 AM
The game's out in the UK now too! It's really good fun and a nice change from the usual Temple Run formula.
12-04-2013, 06:23 AM
When it release on US? Look really cool
12-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Game Impressions

12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
@ryanmillercg This looks great judgin by the screens. Any idea when it'll be out in the Swedish or US AppStore?

Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/chris1a-1
Audiobombs (presets and templates for iOS synths):
https://www.audiobombs.com/users/ChrisG