★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why track LOCAL scores online?

08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Why track LOCAL scores online?

Hey Devs,

I'm only an avid ipod touch gamer myself but I've noticed a really annoying trend being practiced more and more, especially with the advent of the many online scoring services (Open Feint, Plus+, Scoreloop, etc.).

Tracking my local device scores online. Which means unless I have some sort of wi-fi connection a score I just made on my own device IS NOT TRACKED AT ALL nor can I access my previous local scores. While I'm all for the concept of needing to have at least a wi-fi connection to compare global scores (I mean, duh, how else would it work?) but the idea that my local scores can be unaccessible to me if out of wi-fi seems so stupid.

I'd even be willing to make a compromise here, how about just tracking my highest score per mode locally but having the more detailed top 10 scores of mine online.

Rant off!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: App Tech Studios, USA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Hey Devs,

I'm only an avid ipod touch gamer myself but I've noticed a really annoying trend being practiced more and more, especially with the advent of the many online scoring services (Open Feint, Plus+, Scoreloop, etc.).

Tracking my local device scores online. Which means unless I have some sort of wi-fi connection a score I just made on my own device IS NOT TRACKED AT ALL nor can I access my previous local scores. While I'm all for the concept of needing to have at least a wi-fi connection to compare global scores (I mean, duh, how else would it work?) but the idea that my local scores can be unaccessible to me if out of wi-fi seems so stupid.

I'd even be willing to make a compromise here, how about just tracking my highest score per mode locally but having the more detailed top 10 scores of mine online.

Rant off!
I am not sure why local scores would not be saved to the device. All of my games save to the device so no internet access is necessary.
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
#3
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSpentYouth View Post
I am not sure why local scores would not be saved to the device. All of my games save to the device so no internet access is necessary.
Well cool, hopefully more will follow your example.

I think to so many it is ALL ABOUT online scoring and why make a different system for global and local scoring when there are nifty tools that let you handle it all very easily online. My hope is, as cool as Open Feint is, I'm hoping devs don't forget the offline aspects.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
#4
I'm sure you won't let us! grumble grumble

It had never even crossed my mind until you guys brought it up after the game released. Now we'll cater to you anti-internet-luddites in every version from now on. sigh.

(I hope the emoticons are enough for those people who don't read joking in text easily)

Hopefully this name will update soon as I requested a name change. I'm no longer affiliated with Atommo games.
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 227
I'm going to guess that it's just pure laziness on the dev's part. There's no reason it should be like that at all.

All my local high scores are on the device itself.
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I'm going to guess that it's just pure laziness on the dev's part. There's no reason it should be like that at all.

All my local high scores are on the device itself.
I'll give fellow devs the benefit of the doubt in that case, but it definitely needs addressing. As I was just talking about this in another thread:

I think it's more that some people (developers) simply cannot fathom how/why you could be out of touch with "teh intarwebs"... Because they have constant access they assume everyone does. I fly a lot, so it was obvious to me that local storage and submittal later was a must-have item. It's also quite easy to get out to sea, beyond the range of cell coverage with my boat too.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who use an iPod Touch but may not have WiFi at home either. Especially those outside the USA. Or people traveling abroad who shut off data services to avoid high charges. The list goes on

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!