Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM

Default Puzzle Realms - An IPad Nonogram Game

Edit: I am the developer of this game for full disclosure.

Last edited by Codedood; 12-11-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin

!!!i love Nonograms. downloading...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Looks interesting - downloading now
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I mentioned this game in my comment on the "Out this Tuesday" news item, this has to be my pick of the week - hopefully it'll be a massive sleeper hit for you. Nice spin on what could be a very formulaic and predictable puzzle game. Really loving the visual style and the writing is decent enough - I'm used to very poorly translated text when it comes to interesting games like this

I only had a chance to play four puzzles before hurrying to work so haven't had a chance to play it to the end of the demo, but i'll definitely be picking up the full game!

Edit: Managed to download it in my lunch break. Still absolutely loving it, there are a few small areas that could be improved upon for me.

The Fill button is much closer to the Hint button than the Mark button, it'll take a bit of getting used to but in the meantime I instinctive press for Hint instead of Mark. I wouldn't mind so much but there seems to be no confirmation that you want a hint which takes some of the fun away. Additionally, I find Mark and Fill to be odd choices for labelling the buttons. It could just be me, but I spend a little time each puzzle puzzling over which button it is I actually want.
Finally, the way the Fill animation works, as a colourblind person, I find it very hard to tell if the screen has recognised my presses until the colour fades in fully. Again, it's a small problem that won't affect many people - these are just the only issues I've found it what will most likely get my vote for GotW in the forums

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 11-27-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 AM

"Zelda meets Picross..." -- Pete

I'm in
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

How can this possibly be 151.9 mb?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

It's a nice game with a really cool theme. I think the price is reasonable with the amount of content provided. Random puzzles can be fun, but they can be frustrating at times.

The downside on random puzzles: they aren't checked for unique solutions. When there's multiple ways to fill a puzzle correctly, you have to give the answer they want, otherwise you get marked for mistakes.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
How can this possibly be 151.9 mb?
I will be honest - I completely forgot to check the file size of the game. The game definitely shouldn't be that big - the compression on textures must have been turned off. I will be fixing that and some other issues in an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I mentioned this game in my comment on the "Out this Tuesday" news item, this has to be my pick of the week - hopefully it'll be a massive sleeper hit for you. Nice spin on what could be a very formulaic and predictable puzzle game. Really loving the visual style and the writing is decent enough - I'm used to very poorly translated text when it comes to interesting games like this.
Thanks! The downloads / sales haven't been all that great yet - but I'm working on making better app store screen shots and a new upgrade screen to better show players that puzzles quickly get much bigger and harder and that 50 puzzles, while not sounding like much, is easily several days worth of content.

Quote:
The Fill button is much closer to the Hint button than the Mark button, it'll take a bit of getting used to but in the meantime I instinctive press for Hint instead of Mark. I wouldn't mind so much but there seems to be no confirmation that you want a hint which takes some of the fun away.
Sorry, and thanks for your feedback. Its a simple fix to move the fill button farther away from the hint button and I will be making that change in the next version. In addition, a hint confirmation dialog will be added.

The original idea was that I want players to never have to 'confirm' an action as that slows down gameplay - but it seems reasonable to double check if a player really wanted to use an hint.

Quote:
Additionally, I find Mark and Fill to be odd choices for labelling the buttons. It could just be me, but I spend a little time each puzzle puzzling over which button it is I actually want.
I honestly agree. In testing I never saw any confusion from players but I still am not entirely happy with the terms Mark and Fill. If you have any suggestions on alternative names I would be interested to hear them.

Quote:
Finally, the way the Fill animation works, as a colourblind person, I find it very hard to tell if the screen has recognised my presses until the colour fades in fully. Again, it's a small problem that won't affect many people - these are just the only issues I've found it what will most likely get my vote for GotW in the forums
So is it difficult to see the colored cells with the numbers on them after selecting? Or when the colored cells and numbers disappear the fade in isn't fast enough?

If you can see the colored cells with numbers on them - I could leave that up while the color fades in and remove it afterwards. Would that help?

Again thanks for all the feedback everyone. I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Last edited by Codedood; 11-29-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 AM

Love it too much.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I definitely agree that mixing up the screenshots on the AppStore should help, the biggest draw the game has for me are the larger puzzles and the interior environments. They really show the charm of the Zelda-esque sprites and make it clear it's not your average Picross game.

I tried to think of some appropriate phrases to replace Fill and Mark before I mentioned it but I really couldn't, so I can definitely see why you chose them! I looked at a couple of my favourite Picross games and they use visual signifiers like a black square and an X. Not sure if that's a possibility.

As for not slowing the game down with confirmations, I definitely agree that's the right thing to do and I appreciate that, it's much better for it. Someone that uses hints, however, is either not interested in playing it too seriously or is stuck and therefore the flow has probably already been broken so I don't think anyone would mind - that's just my thinking on it though.

Finally, I played a little (well, quite a bit!) more and found the fading in colour to be less of a problem than I thought it was so I wouldn't worry too much. It's only really in the early levels that it affected me as I tended to solve the puzzle much faster than the effect would work so it was a slight distraction. After the puzzles got larger and the pace slowed down a little, it wasn't a problem.

I've said it before, but I love this game. Hopefully you don't take the criticism as anything but wanting it to improve so it can get the attention it deserves!