Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 PM
magmedia magmedia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default App Store SEO - latest insights

The basic principle of ASO is simple - pick high volume, low competition keywords.

One problem I've encountered when training my research assistants is how do you teach what is a high volume keyword?

How do you judge competition? Is it only related to number of competitors? (In my experience, this ISN'T the case, in fact there is another factor which is even more important..)

Its a bit in-depth, for the full read you can see it here:
http://makeappmag.com/app-store-optimization-201/

Interested to hear your thoughts - have you guys had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
hoobastank68 hoobastank68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Thanks for sharing. Most of the ranking algorithm seems to be based on the popularity of the app still at least for less competitive keywords. It would be interesting to see what happens in 2014 with Apple's acquisition of topsy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Wizardo Wizardo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Default

Good stuff! Thanks for cluing me in on Sensor Tower. I'll be playing with it all night.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
ryansumo ryansumo is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manila
Posts: 104
Default

Thanks for the article,Sensor Tracker should prove to be a very useful tool,but there's a but of a learning curve to using it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 AM
magmedia magmedia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobastank68 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Most of the ranking algorithm seems to be based on the popularity of the app still at least for less competitive keywords. It would be interesting to see what happens in 2014 with Apple's acquisition of topsy.
@hoobastank68 - yep, popularity (i.e. download volume / velocity + rankings) definitely plays a MAJOR MAJOR part in where you appear in the search results.

My analysis involves looking just at the things we have more direct control over, i.e. choosing keywords and choosing how to place the keywords (title vs keyword field, and keyword density in title).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 AM
abbas_basil abbas_basil is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default

I am running a test with ASO with my latest game update. I will share the results of this as soon as the app comes live and will share some numbers here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM
magmedia magmedia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_basil View Post
I am running a test with ASO with my latest game update. I will share the results of this as soon as the app comes live and will share some numbers here.
Awesome abbas - what test are you running?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Easonchau Easonchau is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 4S
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 AM
abbas_basil abbas_basil is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default

Ok so here is what we have done as per the suggestions given by everyone.

1) We have kept the game paid for week and then made it free with a new update that has gone live today.

2) We have renamed the app to Space Clash Saga from Space Quest - Journey for Hope and completely reworked all the keywords. Hope this gets the ASO right!!

3) We now have much better store positions during a search and I will release the download numbers in a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 AM
magmedia magmedia is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_basil View Post
Ok so here is what we have done as per the suggestions given by everyone.

1) We have kept the game paid for week and then made it free with a new update that has gone live today.

2) We have renamed the app to Space Clash Saga from Space Quest - Journey for Hope and completely reworked all the keywords. Hope this gets the ASO right!!

3) We now have much better store positions during a search and I will release the download numbers in a few days.
You can make the Title much longer.

I recommend have a [Title] - [Tagline Format], where title is the name and tagline is a description of what the game is about.

E.g. Space Clash Saga - Fun Galaxy Shooter To Kill Alien Invaders For Kids

That will get way more keywords indexed.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent