★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mini Taxi (Free for 24 Hours)

08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Mini Taxi (Free for 24 Hours)

[App Store Link, 0.99]

Quote:
Drive to you heart's content in this fast paced arcade style taxi game!
Finally for the iPhone and iPod touch a top-view car game for the arcade game lover.
Explore Mini City, keep an eye out for customers and drive like a crazy maniac to get them to their destination in least time possible!
Choose from 4 different taxis, with their different driving styles thanks to the realtime physics simulation.
Show everyone you're the best taxi driver around and compete online for the highest score!

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Looks like it might have potential. Anyone want to TOFTT?

08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I just bought this one. Will play tomorrow and post impressions.
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I actually beta tested this app so i have seen it come a long way. I will let someone else post first impressions first but i will chime in about my prolonged experience with the game. I think people will like this one.

Now Playing: EDEN, Baseball Superstars 2011
Twitter: @thepoisonivy
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I've played for a bit now and have some thoughts on the matter.

I was expecting more of a sense of speed. I think the controls work fine, with a few exceptions. The handling seems a bit rough. I was surely thinking that there would be drifting around corners and a whole lot of slamming on brakes. I wasn't expecing to crash into as many buildings and do as many 3 point turns as I have. It is fun but a bit awkward to handle at times. I had to spend a minute or two at one point trying to get 'unstuck' while perpendicular in a small alley. I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of power steering. As it is, the wheel snaps to center when you release it rather than the power steering easing you back into a straight line. Another thing that surprised me is that there is no other auto traffic. There are plenty of pedestrians, but no other cars in Mini City? This might just be because I haven't done very well and have not proceeded to the next level.

One thing that is spot on is the look of it. The game is very visually appealing. I like the fact that there are four taxis that you can drive, each with it's own settings like speed and handling. Mini City is nice. There plenty plenty of wide avenues, back alleys and tight turns. The streets are nicely laid out. My only suggestion as far as graphics go would be to replace the gas/brake A/B buttons with actual pedals, but that's just nitpicking.

There you have it. Some things I like and don't like. I am certainly going to keep playing somemore to see if I can get a better grasp on the steering.
08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
As i said earlier i am a beta tester for this app so i have spent a lot of time playing it. I agree that the steering can be a little tough at first but after a few times you get the hang of it and it really becomes a fun game. When i first played it i crashed into the buildings all the time but now i have gotten quite good at driving. In regards to the cars there are actually quite a few cars in the city but it may take a while for them to appear so the game gets progressively harder. The game is a simple taxi app but it can really be a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. the city is really nice and sometimes you find yourself taking note of the buildings while you drive. once you master the controls you will find yourself making tons of cash. Because of the different taxi styles the game allows for some customization for each driver. I do like the gas pedal idea though. I will let the dev know your suggestions and link him to this forum in case any others have thoughts.

also if you play long enough the game will go into mayhem mode where your goal is to run over as many pedestrians as you can and there are plenty of people who go splat and leave blood all over the sidewalk. its kinda crazy but its a fun little break from the taxi part. Just something to look forward to.

Last edited by thepoisonivy; 08-06-2009 at 01:34 PM.
08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Are traffic patterns and fare locations randomized?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Are traffic patterns and fare locations randomized?
Yes both are completely random. Fares are never in the same place twice and traffic can come from anywhere. Fares also yell "Taxi" which lets you know when they are close by. If i remember correctly the dev might integrate harder levels of difficultly with more traffic.

08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoisonivy View Post
Yes both are completely random. Fares are never in the same place twice and traffic can come from anywhere. Fares also yell "Taxi" which lets you know when they are close by. If i remember correctly the dev might integrate harder levels of difficultly with more traffic.
Cool!

So how do you get cash and or lose? What happens if I pick up a fare and deliberately take him all around the city in efficiently before dropping them off at their desired destination?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
the cash mechanic is simple. you get cash for every completed drop off. No tips just a straight fare. the reason you will want to take the fastest route is because the timer at the top is constantly counting down from the moment the game beings. the only way to add more time is to pick up a customer. once you have a fair you need to drop them off and get another in order the extend the time. time is done well so if you drive well you should have just enough time to keep extending your game time. run out of time and the game ends.