Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Spellcaster Adventure- high fantasy hybrid RPG/word game

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a new game my team has been working on for the last year or so. Most of that time was spent prototyping with 1 or 2 people for half a year. We found some magic, proved out the core mechanics and gameplay, and now we’re a fully ramped-up team.

Spellcaster Adventure
(it's a pun.)

Spellcaster Adventure is a game for people who love word games and RPGs. It is inspired by the likes of PuzzleQuest and DungeonRaid, with crafting and minigames on top. We are aiming at PC, Tablet, and Phone.

[Main Battle Screen]

GAMEPLAY
As much as we love games like Wordament and Ruzzle, we set out to make something a little less casual, and not socially focused. Something that can stand alone in singleplayer and keep you motivated by awarding you with progression for every game you play. And something that has swords and fireballs, because those things are awesome!

Just like PuzzleQuest is a match-3, the heart of Spellcaster Adventure will always be a word game. All of our mechanics, progression, and other gameplay are rooted in that. The mechanic designers have worked on hardcore games like Gears of War and MMOs, and even down to casual titles like Disneyland Adventures. We play both game styles avidly, and we’re going to use that experience to build something that can be fun for both.

Whether you’re a mage who focuses on rearranging the board and making vowels, a warrior who goes for hulking 6-letter words, or a thief who needs to carefully time word executions and rates for maximum combat effect, you can pick and unlock classes that are already tailored to your playstyle, or pick a class that will train you to become a better player at this type of game.

Of course, what word game would be complete without minigames? Blackout, DPS gates, 5-letter only handcrafted puzzles, treasure bandits... Again all rolling back into your character and progressing your understanding of the world.

[Race #3- The Monkey race uses trickery and cunning, stealing your gold and darting in for quick attacks before you can recover.]

THE STORY
You’ll level up, earn loot, explore an island full of fantastical creatures drawn by award-winning artists, and learn about the game universe imagined by an author who is credited in over 400 books and countless games. She’s worked on everything from small casual games to international award-winning collaborations with Nobel laureates. I don't want to go too much into detail on this on the announce post, but... expect a rich world.

[Forest #2- Thumbnail]

THE TEAM
As individuals, we’ve worked on such games as Halo (numerous), Project Spark, Gears of War (numerous), Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Ryse, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II, Toy Soldiers, even stretching back as far as King’s Quest—too many to count. I don’t just mean QA and contracting, either (though we have our history in that, too)—I mean the full-time Tech Designers, lead Audio Designers, Design Directors, Gameplay Programmers, and more.

[Race #4- The Lizards rely on poisons and subtlety, forcing careful usage of abilities to counter.]

In addition to our professional work, we’ve also worked on indie games such as [URL="http://www.theballthegame.com/"]The Ball[/URL] and [URL="http://www.chusdynasty.com/"]Chu's Dynasty[/URL].

This project is a free-time labor of love. We have a rockstar team when we aren’t crunching at our day jobs. We’re not out to make it rich or quit our jobs—we just like building things. Having some community support would be great to keep us feeling a little better about paying thousands of dollars for software licenses and contracting a little art out, though. We'll be doing a small kickstarter in the future-with a little help we can release a much bigger world, with more classes and more unique gameplay. Plus I love my artists and I want to get some bound art books out there with our lore. This will make more sense later.

[Eagle Nestmaster Concept- Summons eagle minions onto the board]

[PFX Montage- some abilities change the board itself]

CURRENT STATUS
Team Assembly: 100%
Core Gameplay Code: 90%
Player Classes and Behaviors: 70%
Enemies and Enemy Behaviors: 70%
Tuning: Mehhh 30%
PFX: 50%
Environment Art: 80%
SFX: 50%
Music: 25%
Lore: 25%
Lore Art: 10% (but goes super fast)
Character Art: 10% (but concept complete, art style complete, and fully specced)
UI Art: 50% (but flow complete and nearly shader complete)
Instrumentation / Distribution Systems: 95%
Other Coding: 30% (primarily integration stuff)

Thanks for looking! Stay tuned!

[URL="http://www.spellcastergame.com"]HOMEPAGE[/URL]
[URL="https://twitter.com/RussMcMackin"]TWITTER[/URL]
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/Spellcastergame"]FACEBOOK[/URL]

Last edited by Vanin; 12-05-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

It looks very interesting, I like the idea of ​​mixing word games and RPGs, the artwork looks great too, definitely I will remain tuned to this game, good work
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Sweet

Awesome i like word games i enjoyed dungeon scroll(i think thats what it was called) from a couple years ago

seems like a vast improvement from that game

and yes i know you'll arent the makers of that game
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

This looks to be fantastic and right up my alley. I am looking forward to hearing more and this might be the project to lure me back to KickStarter (after feeling burned by the Fargoal project).
Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 AM
iPhone (Original), iOS 2.x

the artwork looks great too, definitely I will remain tuned to this game, good work
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for the comments guys!

New update- Environment art progress

Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

This looks fantastic. Are you planning on opening it up to beta testers?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Nice game you have here! I like word games and RPGs, so this should be something for me!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Looks like a solid combo... Hoping it plays well. Looking forward to this release!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 PM
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.x

oh wow. A word game with beautiful art. This is a must buy for me. If you need beta testers or an opinion on art I'd be happy to give some feedback.