Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default What should I upgrade to?

A few years ago I bought an iPod Touch and discovered how good it was for gaming, then a year later it was getting full and all the good games coming out stopped supporting it so I upgraded to an iPod Touch 4th gen, now it's happening again. Obviously my first thought was to upgrade to a 5th gen, but then last night I found out that for the same price I could get last year's iPad Mini. I've never had a tablet before and as a geek I would love to have one to fiddle with, but it's main purpose for me would be gaming while laying in bed like I do with my iPod.

So should I get an iPod Touch 5th gen or an iPad Mini(Without retina)?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I don't have either one of those. However if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the Mini no question. The larger screen space for gaming and the iPad exclusives would be the deciding factor.

You could also consider saving an extra hundred for the iPad Mini Retina and be set for the long haul.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I wouldn't go with ether. The iPod 5th gen is 2 years outdated already, and the iPad mini is the same internally as the iPod 5th gen but without retina. Between the two, go iPad mini. But I'd say save 100 bucks and get the retina mini 16GB (of course for gaming I'd recommend getting way more storage) and save yourself a headache. I recently upgraded my 4th gen iPod touch 8GB to a iPad mini with retina 128GB and am very happy with my choice. So between the ones you listed go with the mini but I would recommend a retina mini as it 4x more powerful, 4x faster and 8x graphics proformance. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

get the new mini, the increase in perfomance should be good enough to keep you running for a few gens of ios games,, ipod 5th gen is no competition. Some amazing 3d stuff is gonna come out in the next year, and wont run well on the ipod
Old 12-06-2013, 03:32 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I already don't like the thought of paying 250 for a tablet, I'm not going to pay anymore.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alpha Gamer View Post
I already don't like the thought of paying 250 for a tablet, I'm not going to pay anymore.
Then go with the non-retina mini. It seems to me though that all the best games working flawlessly for a few years is defiantly worth the extra $100 (or 79, I think). But to each there own.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.sixty.four View Post
Then go with the non-retina mini. It seems to me though that all the best games working flawlessly for a few years is defiantly worth the extra $100 (or 79, I think). But to each there own.
The original iPad Mini is just an 8" iPad 2. My iPad 2 is already struggling under iOS 6.x. Someone else updated to iOS 7.x and felt that performance suffered even more.

Just be aware that if you get the original iPad Mini, you are getting the next in line to get support dropped.

The five fingered close app gesture is also very hard to perform on an iPad Mini's tiny screen.

Last edited by iPadisGreat; 12-09-2013 at 07:57 AM..