★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Don Bluth's Banjo the Woodpile Cat Adventure Game $1.99

08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Don Bluth's Banjo the Woodpile Cat Adventure Game $1.99

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307362474&mt=8

So after the fake "Dragon's Lair" MMO debacle, I decided to do a little research on whether DL was coming to the iDevices and stumbled on this game, only available on the devices...now I know that there was an earlier thread on this, but I made a new one because the earlier thread didn't even have the title of the game listed. I'm pretty sure that because of that it went under most people's radar...it sure went under mine. This game is certainly not going to replace DL or SA as classics, and it has some issues with sound volume consistency between menus, but for 2 bucks you are getting something that looks really nice. As for gameplay, it is similar to DL and SA in that you tap flashing elements to move forward in a scene. The difficulty is MUCH easier than the other Bluth games, however, and is really suited more for children since this is based on a kid's movie that Bluth made. Even if you're not a kid though, this is worth every penny just to see some incredibly impressive hand drawn cartoon work. I think of this more as an interactive cartoon than a game per se, but take a look at the screenshots in iTunes, and I think you'll know right away whether you're interested or not.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Wow. Over 100 views and no takers, huh? Oh, well...we've got some animation haters in here I guess

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!

08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
All right, last time on this but I've played through it now, and although it's a huge file, that's because it's quite long, and has great animation. If you have kids, or just like the Dragon's Lair/Space Ace animation, this is worth well more than two dollars. It's actually a cute little cartoon, I had never heard of it...plus it has the voice of the late, great Scatman Crothers (Hong Kong Fooey ftw!) as a cat named "Crazy Legs". Like I said earlier, much like DL and SA it's really more an interactive cartoon than a regular game, but it has a LOT more content than Space Ace, even if it is more catered for kids.

08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Here is the old thread on this game.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=6868
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Here is the old thread on this game.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=6868
Yeah, I had mentioned that in the OP but it didn't seem like it displayed the name prominently enough...but go ahead and close this if you feel like it's redundant.

08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
No need to close it.. just it has been out awhile and people move on to new games
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
No need to close it.. just it has been out awhile and people move on to new games
Very true.

08-13-2009, 03:22 AM
It so great. Thanks a lots.

calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d’emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
New TA forum member and feed subscriber. Been using the feed and your (the TA forum community collectively) posts to help me make game-buying decisions and discovered the Don Bluth's Banjo the Woodpile Cat Adventure Game game because of this thread, so thank you. =) I'm a fan of Don Bluth's work and will add this to my watch list.
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah, the app came out shortly after the film was released on DVD for the first time, remastered, plus bonus disc with an hour of behind the scenes stuff. Haven't picked it up yet. http://www.amazon.com/Banjo-Woodpile...0224747&sr=8-1 (Click on the 1 new for $14.99 to order direct from Don Bluth)

I kind of see the iphone app being close to what you'd find for a dvd game on a children's film to play. Some people were probably expecting a game to the same extent as Dragons Lair or Space Ace, while the animation is there, the source material wasn't designed for gameplay.

Also, don't forget, Space Ace is in the app store too.

Check out a younger Don Bluth in a photo of him sitting over an animation desk with a cel from Banjo and a model sheet on the wall, I think they animated it in his garage as a concept to see if their new studio would work:
http://donbluthanimation.com/_Don_Bl...About_Don.html