Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Space Barrage Arcade - Announcement and Beta

I'd like to announce Buzzabit Entertainment's first game: Space Barrage Arcade
This post is about Beta testing. The game is now on the App Store, and the release thread is here.

We couldn't think of a better place to get some beta testers but...
UPDATE: We are NOT currently recruiting new beta testers. The below is left in place for those who may be interested in the future:

First, you'll need to know that the low end is currently: iPod 5th generation or iPhone 4S or iPad 2. Anything above that should be great.

Second, it should look interesting to you if you are going to spend time testing so here's a description and an image and some more screens attached.
Quote:
Wage infinite explosive war against waves of robotic space ships with nothing but a few overstuffed shuttles and some hacked-together weapons and energy shields. If you can't enclose your missile launchers in a pool of energy you will be rushed and destroyed so you must puzzle-together a surrounding defense from shield fragments.

Once you grow accustomed to the overwhelming intensity and mass destruction, there are achievements and leader boards for highest score and farthest stage reached. Go for it, Captain.

Third, it might interest you to know that the control method is rather novel and probably different from most games you've tried before. It's also very accurate.

Last, you should know we are a very small team and this is our first time getting this far into development (You may remember Snowball Touch as a previous project, and if you remember me from iDevGames you might remember the original vector based Space Barrage game I made for a contest) Also, to start with we'd like to try and sell it. No ads. No IAP.

Still interested? If you're serious about helping apply to get onto our team at TestFlight please wait until we open beta testing again!

My blog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sba_actionshot_middle_1024.jpg (163.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg sba_explosions_1024.jpg (157.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sba_mission_failed_1024.jpg (136.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sba_repair_shields_1024.jpg (99.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by aaronsullivan; 12-30-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Not sure on the gameplay but I'll gladly sign up for testing.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Not clear on the gameplay wither but I like spaceships so I've signed up (;
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the interest, we'll be releasing an update this afternoon for approved beta testers to try out. In about 5 to 6 hours, hopefully.

As far as gameplay goes it was originally inspired by an Atari arcade game named Rampart. You'll play through waves of enemies and after a timed barrage of attacks from both sides you have a short time to rebuild your energy shields and power up your guns. If none of your guns are powered the enemy will rush you and it's game over. Build up enough guns and you'll be able to unleash a constant stream of destruction on the enemy.

Even though each wave is broken up into segments, the segments are timed and this is a constantly moving, high pressure, fast thinking game.

In the near future, I'll post a video highlighting the dynamic input system.

Last edited by aaronsullivan; 12-10-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Constant stream of destruction? I'm intrigued!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post
Thanks for the interest, we'll be releasing an update this afternoon for approved beta testers to try out. In about 5 to 6 hours, hopefully.

As far as gameplay goes it was originally inspired by an Atari arcade game named Rampart. You'll play through waves of enemies and after a timed barrage of attacks from both sides you have a short time to rebuild your energy shields and power up your guns. If none of your guns are powered the enemy will rush you and it's game over. Build up enough guns and you'll be able to unleash a constant stream of destruction on the enemy.

Even though each wave is broken up into segments, the segments are timed and this is a constantly moving, high pressure, fast thinking game.

In the near future, I'll post a video highlighting the dynamic input system.
Sounds fun and tactical. Signed up
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Sounds fun and tactical. Signed up
Thanks! I approved your testing status but I just want to warn you and anyone else who is interested that our game isn't currently optimized for iPhone 4. We are planning on it, but it probably won't happen before release.

On iPhone 4 or iPod 4G and below, and also iPad, it's VERY choppy, but we've made progress and have ideas for lowering the visual fidelity to make it work. It's just not an immediate priority. You're welcome to try it out, just don't expect it to be playable... yet.

Last edited by aaronsullivan; 12-10-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Anyone who signed up and was approved should see a message from us about the beta update now. Give it a whirl and don't be afraid to create the new GameCenter profile if it asks. That happens on all ad hoc games and it's more fun if you can see the achievements and leaderboards.

We are still looking for someone to test it on the iPad Air, so if you happen to have one we'd love it if you'd at least play a few rounds to see if there are any major glitches. Also we can still use more beta testers so it's still open. Check the original post for the link.

Thanks to everyone is on board so far. Can't wait to hear from you all.

Last edited by aaronsullivan; 12-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: (outdated information)
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Hey, I don't where you got that device performance info because the game runs pretty well on my iPhone 4. Granted I've only reached a few waves so it may get choppy as more ships appear

My biggest issue right now is not knowing what I'm doing. I see the shields are kind of like Tetris pieces so there's a puzzle aspect to shielding. But why can I only set X amount of guns? Why I should choose one hero over another? Is there any strategy to placing guns?

I am enjoying the gameplay, especially the timing element needed to hit incoming enemies. I think once I better understand the mechanics, I'll enjoy the game more. Will there be upgrades or unlocks for your heroes/guns?

Last edited by Bronxsta; 12-10-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I'm glad you can play it. I'm curious what your fps is? You can check it out in the upper right corner. It's a tiny white number.

One item we are working on right now is communicating the game mechanics early on.

A couple of tips:
You get more guns for more ships that you have surrounded with shields. 2 guns earned per surrounded ship at the end of a wave.

Connecting up those shields becomes very important. Guns need to be inside the shields with a ship in order to be powered. If no guns are powered after the repair shield phase is over, the enemy will know your defenseless and rush you. Kaboom.

There are more strategies involving which hero to pick and where to place your guns and other deeper stuff but you'll want to concentrate on those tips first.

On the guns, though: The distance the missile has to travel from a gun to your target definitely effects how long it takes to get there.